Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Thankyou Jeff I have found TMC excellent myself,

here is a last WD 2-8-0 pic before thinking about this new weathered 4F. (both weathered by linesideandlocos)

wind blown fells of course! Might have to have horizon with tree in the next pic...

post-7929-0-69771300-1378959320.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Can you buy photographic backscenes that only have sky on them? I haven't looked recently.... it would be a lot better than I could achieve with a brush and paint.

Jeff

You WON'T NEED BRUSH OR PAINT, :O

Be patient :no:

I will SHOW YOU how to Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

Well, having looked at the International Models site - I recommend them - I find that there are, indeed, "Summer Sky" photographic backscenes.

At 10 feet x 15", these are worth trying.

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/15__Inch__15___High_Backscenes.html

... scroll to the bottom of the page.

Jeff

I can help you do better than that Jeff.

I will get some pics of the 40 plus feet that I have done up the club tomorrow night and either stick em on here tomorrow night or Friday.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget to close the gates, unless, of course, the collies are rounding up the sheep - we don't want to find they have wandered off just when we want to count them.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  :O

Nitol

Edited by southern42

As nice as the shelter is (and I have sheltered there a few times myself after lugging my bike up there), it is unfortunately not in keeping with the area you are modelling. I say set yourself a challenge and build a decrepit barn with holes in the roof. I can give you hints, etc. on the roof (I *think* I managed the knackered roof to look convincing on the BCB cart shed). Quite a few old, abandoned structures on the fells in the most unusual places.

Also check out David Wright's articles in BRM as he has shown some as well.

I did see a pics of Jason's cart shed somewhere and I need to find it to do something somilar for our clubs farm setting.

Bodge :sungum:

Have you tried counting 50 odd sheep randomly spread out in a field without losing count...even if they don't move about.

I reckon, by the time I'd have started again for the third time I'd be pretty frustrated and be up all night trying to get it right...

Hmmm, maybe counting sheep is not the best thing to get you to sleep.

Sky.  We have Sky Blue emulsion on Avago and Camel Quay.  If you have detachtable backscenes, this will be really useful - any unwanted marks that mysteriously appear soon disappear under a few more brush strokes.

What I notice with stuck on backscenes is how easy they become tatty along the edges or look unsightly if they get damaged, and I've read some modellers comments that find they ripple when they are stuck on.  Though I have also seen some splendid backscenes such as on BCB (Black Country Blues).  Maybe leave the backscene until most of the other work is finished.  You'll also have a better idea of the overall colour effect on the layout.  There's nothing worse than having superb colour work on layout and backscene only to find that they simply clash with each other.

Keep those photos coming, Jeff. It's quite fascinating watching it all coming together and looking at everyone's responses.

Yeah.  :good:

Polly

Sorry Polly, I DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE :O I use white faced hardboard and I think that the sky will help establish the scene better IN MY MOST HUMBLE OPINION. :nono:

SORRY :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Whatever the merits of various skies, the sun rarely shines at Royston shed, darkest Yorkshire, with the local Fowler 4F 43942 purloined for duty on KL-bound work... nicely weathered by Linesideandlocos, photo-edited a bit by yours truly, of course. Re-numbered from 43924.  Might change it again for 44009 12A Carlisle Kingmoor maybe?

post-7929-0-25695000-1378965738.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the shelter / bothy / barn, my thoughts were that it is a rural farming area and a barn is a more likely structure than an shelter for walkers (which tend to be at the summit of mountains). I am totally with you on the bothy but as it is mainly an agricultural area rather than leisure (especially in the 50's / 60's), I was just thinking that a barn like the one in the below link but maybe more decrepit would be in fitting with the area. From being out in the fells, they can be in some pretty cut off locations with just a walled track (and sometimes not even that) nearby, quite high up on the fells, can be rather beautiful (if basic) structures and can be made to be a focal point of the fell.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T1wbyN32Rdo/TiNHKSnfzTI/AAAAAAAAEeU/sW-kw_ofgWI/s400/IMG_9335.JPG

Just a thought :)

Edit: a couple more

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T1wbyN32Rdo/TiNHKSnfzTI/AAAAAAAAEeU/sW-kw_ofgWI/s400/IMG_9335.JPG

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4905605724_6e6916792b.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I go away to HQ for a couple of days and as usual there is far too much to catch up on. I am just wondering if Andy has some airbrushing technique to impart for the sky effect?

Anyway, one positive thing about about my sojourn was that in 12 hours train travel over two days was that everything was on time and when my office closes at the end of October, I may only have to move next door. This means, that on invitation, I could still pop over to Jeff's one lunch time and play trains admire the latest developments on his layout!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jason, Scott - thanks very much for your suggestions. Very helpful!

I wasn't intending a shelter for walkers - much too low down the Fell. Another sheepfold was on the cards. However, the derelict building on the right of Scott's first photo looks just the ticket.

It would be located as shown in the next couple of pics:

post-13778-0-72036000-1378973216_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-66305700-1378973224_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I go away to HQ for a couple of days and as usual there is far too much to catch up on. I am just wondering if Andy has some airbrushing technique to impart for the sky effect?

Anyway, one positive thing about about my sojourn was that in 12 hours train travel over two days was that everything was on time and when my office closes at the end of October, I may only have to move next door. This means, that on invitation, I could still pop over to Jeff's one lunch time and play trains admire the latest developments on his layout!

Morning Jonathan. 

The invite still stands, so it's good news you're not heading to far-off Darlington!!

Re. the backscene. I'll have a go at painting it but not using an airbrush. I'll be sticking to emulsion paint, methinks. It'll be interesting to see what Andy comes up with.

Jeff

Whatever the merits of various skies, the sun rarely shines at Royston shed, darkest Yorkshire, with the local Fowler 4F 43942 purloined for duty on KL-bound work... nicely weathered by Linesideandlocos, photo-edited a bit by yours truly, of course. Re-numbered from 43924.  Might change it again for 44009 12A Carlisle Kingmoor maybe?

attachicon.gifFowler_4F_43942_2abc_r800.jpg

Rob

Morning Rob, re above, a wonderful pic thanks :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  and why re number it, :O  Just get another one, :no:  You know you want to. :angel: :angel:

I'm with Jason on this, Jeff.

Go to Flickr, and search for Dales+Abandoned+Barn and you'll get scenes like this:

5604438074_511d7f2cd6_z.jpg

7987856727_bbac09b878_z.jpg

Lovely, location anchoring stuff...

Cheers

Scott

Brilliant Scott, and certainly the way to go I would have thought.

Jason, Scott - thanks very much for your suggestions. Very helpful!

I wasn't intending a shelter for walkers - much too low down the Fell. Another sheepfold was on the cards. However, the derelict building on the right of Scott's first photo looks just the ticket.

It would be located as shown in the next couple of pics:

attachicon.gif100_4105paint.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4108paint.jpg

Bob on Boss, I will look back this afternoon for pics of the completed ruin.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jonathan. 

The invite still stands, so it's good news you're not heading to far-off Darlington!!

Re. the backscene. I'll have a go at painting it but not using an airbrush. I'll be sticking to emulsion paint, methinks. It'll be interesting to see what Andy comes up with.

Jeff

Using a paint roller for 'big sky' areas is not necessarily a bad way to go Jeff (if you can get at the are that way of course!) -

post-6859-0-80070500-1378975556_thumb.jpg

Morning Jonathan. 

Jeff

Later LATER, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgity thingy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Later LATER, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgity thingy :sungum:

Don't worry, Andy..... No backscene painting for a couple of weeks - too many other things to do!

A little surprise coming up in a minute...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I sent my two 4Fs to TMC and they were delivered on Tuesday this week. One day later I received an email to inform me they'd both been weathered and renumbered and were on the way back to me.

I call that great service!

Here's some pics...

post-13778-0-16015700-1378981526_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34688100-1378981532_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90739600-1378981541_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53618700-1378981549_thumb.jpg

Renumbered with new shed code 12A (Kingmoor).

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Jeff. My vote is to set them up in a consist and run them double-headed hauling every wagon you possess, whilst you carry on with the walling.

Funny you should say that. I'd never run a consist until a week or so ago when I had a 37/0 and 37/4 hauling a substantial train of wagons round and round!

Just never got round to doing it before. Quite a satisfying sight - as in Rob's double-header images.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Those 4Fs look a bit tasty Jeff. I may just have to send mine away for a bit of light weathering (1930s style). Must have a look at my books for a suitable number. Have TMC replaced that nasty looking heap of coal in the tender?

Edited by Rowsley17D