Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Definitely get to know those 4Fs....imagine them through the S&C countryside and how you, then, want the layout to look like....

The layout will be all the better for it...

And you'll be a lot happier.......... :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Pollygoround

Edit some dumb writing.... :O :o :O

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I have been watching but not commented.  I liked the original shelter because it was unusual but if it is the wrong area then obviously it is not what you want.  I do like the idea of a barn as well, they look good.  How run down were they in the 50s & 60s, remember it was over 50 years ago!  When were they taken out of use?  (I'll google it but don't hold your breath as I am busy today.)

Why not do a bit of shunting in the fiddle yard as your station sidings are not done, then add the other 4F and send it away slowly while you wall.  Take a video and Andy will be over the moon.

• Like 1

I sent my two 4Fs to TMC and they were delivered on Tuesday this week. One day later I received an email to inform me they'd both been weathered and renumbered and were on the way back to me.

I call that great service!

Here's some pics...

attachicon.gif100_4109.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4110.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4111.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4112.JPG

Renumbered with new shed code 12A (Kingmoor).

Jeff

PERFECT

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the fell walling theme, this is the state-of-play after around 4 hours construction time. The upper part is relatively easy as the hill is shallow. The lower section (not yet started) will have to wait while I modify the hill profile to give the wall a sensible, non-vertical(!!!) route...

post-13778-0-37840300-1378994518_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-11672100-1378994526_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now - do I play with the 4Fs or go and do a bit of walling? Erm, difficult choice!!

I'd say the walling can wait,  man deserves to have a play now & again.

I went for both: the 4Fs went round and round - I occasionally adjusted the speed - while I got on with some building work.

And Chip - I regard the whole project as "playing".... that way I never get TOO serious!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Those 4Fs look a bit tasty Jeff. I may just have to send mine away for a bit of light weathering (1930s style). Must have a look at my books for a suitable number. Have TMC replaced that nasty looking heap of coal in the tender?

Nope - the coal is the original stuff. Tbh, I hadn't taken any notice of the tender load at all - shows my ignorance!

I can't recommend TMC highly enough (Rob uses them frequently as well). The usual wait for the job I sent in would be 4-6 weeks. Maybe they've got no work on at the moment, but, either way, what fantastic service.

Jeff

O.K. Sky time, I said that I would show what I have done at the club, and it is SO EASY that anyone can have a go and get GOOD RESULTS.

Now I am NOT SAYING MINE ARE PERFECT, far from it but as a back drop they work.

The backscene is basically a sheet of White faced hardboard that you can get at any DIY Store, my local Builders Merchant cut mine into one foot wide strips, I use two rattle cans from Halfords, a white primer and a Ford Olimpic Blue. The White Primer is to go over again adding extra clouds if you have added to much blue to the lower area.

post-9335-0-22090800-1378995156_thumb.jpg

After shaking well, work along the top letting the can do the work, NOT TO NEAR AND NOT TO THICK. You can always add a bit more blue or white.

post-9335-0-50769200-1378995372_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have 40 feet to do so I let the spray vary in density and area to give the impression of a hazy sky line. By doing this you will get a sky that is NOT overpowering and NOT forming a distraction from the model below, which I feel a lot of photographic sky scenes do.

post-9335-0-91639500-1378995454_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68021800-1378995819_thumb.jpg

Once the buildings are back in place the sky fades naturally over them and has a nice summery feel.

post-9335-0-11648600-1378995886_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-74743400-1378996074_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-38040100-1378996145_thumb.jpg

In the area over the cutting which will be almost devoid of buildings I have added a few fluffy clouds with the brush just for a bit of verity as with 40 plus feet of sky I needed something extra.

post-9335-0-85143700-1378995674_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately some joins show up a bit.

post-9335-0-23108200-1378996413_thumb.jpg

Whilst others aren't so bad.

post-9335-0-03725800-1378996501_thumb.jpg

If you already have a brown board, paint it WHITE FIRST and then give this a go Jeff, after all you are making almost everything else your self so why not have a go and have a sky that is all your own work. :sungum:

I. Bodgit and Sons. :O  Painters to the Gods :no:

EDIT= Time for Coffee and a Cake me thinks. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Thanks Andy. That's excellent and well worth a try - my kind of low tech with plenty of random variations possible.

What did you use to paint the fluffy clouds - white acrylic?

Jeff

Yes Jeff, Artists Acrylics just a little on a dry brush and work it around near the bottom to let it fade out.

Bodge. :sungum:

Right, that's the Belgium Bun washed down with a nice Latte', so here are a few pics of the Canal we are doing on the Clubs Layout as well.

Scenic's by yours Truly of the Back Yard.

post-9335-0-43795900-1378998729_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-05139600-1378998820_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85921400-1378999043_thumb.jpg

By the way, the blue vertical bits in front of the Warehouses in the Sky scene's pics above will be covered in walling, think Holmfirth, last of the Summer Wine etc.

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

They are brilliant!  I am not sure I will ever get the courage to try backscenes as my artistist abilities are zero.

Jeff,

I have managed to look and although there are lots of entries about barns there is nothing I can find as to when they went out of use, although I would presume probably pre WW2

Lovely 4Fs Jeff, and indeed excellent service from TMC. One of the excellent things about them is that they present their weathered engines very well, nothing broken, and that's not always a given with new models from Hornby or Bachmann. Quite apart from intelligent weathering.

All is looking very good. I am about to start another 4F pic.  Train-in-countryside, for a change. <g>  Wind-blown trees?  maybe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

O.K. Sky time, I said that I would show what I have done at the club, and it is SO EASY that anyone can have a go and get GOOD RESULTS.

Now I am NOT SAYING MINE ARE PERFECT, far from it but as a back drop they work.

The backscene is basically a sheet of White faced hardboard that you can get at any DIY Store, my local Builders Merchant cut mine into one foot wide strips, I use two rattle cans from Halfords, a white primer and a Ford Olimpic Blue. The White Primer is to go over again adding extra clouds if you have added to much blue to the lower area.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 001.JPG

After shaking well, work along the top letting the can do the work, NOT TO NEAR AND NOT TO THICK. You can always add a bit more blue or white.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 002.JPG

As you can see I have 40 feet to do so I let the spray vary in density and area to give the impression of a hazy sky line. By doing this you will get a sky that is NOT overpowering and NOT forming a distraction from the model below, which I feel a lot of photographic sky scenes do.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 003.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 004.JPG

Once the buildings are back in place the sky fades naturally over them and has a nice summery feel.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 012.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 015.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 016.JPG

In the area over the cutting which will be almost devoid of buildings I have added a few fluffy clouds with the brush just for a bit of verity as with 40 plus feet of sky I needed something extra.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 006.JPG

Unfortunately some joins show up a bit.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 008.JPG

Whilst others aren't so bad.

attachicon.gifClub Sky and Canal 010.JPG

If you already have a brown board, paint it WHITE FIRST and then give this a go Jeff, after all you are making almost everything else your self so why not have a go and have a sky that is all your own work. :sungum:

I. Bodgit and Sons. :O  Painters to the Gods :no:

EDIT= Time for Coffee and a Cake me thinks. :no:

The MASTER at work!

An amazing result from such simple materials.

I dunno about Painters to the Gods, it should be THE GOD OF PAINTING!

:clapping: :clapping: :fan: :fan:

• RMweb Premium

Lovely 4Fs Jeff, and indeed excellent service from TMC. One of the excellent things about them is that they present their weathered engines very well, nothing broken, and that's not always a given with new models from Hornby or Bachmann. Quite apart from intelligent weathering.

All is looking very good. I am about to start another 4F pic.  Train-in-countryside, for a change. <g>  Wind-blown trees?  maybe

Yes, a wind-blown tree or two would be nice, if you can arrange that!

As for the 4Fs. Well, I'm having to padlock the wallet to prevent ordering a weathered 3F. I'm acquiring far too many steamers at the moment. The sooner Bachmann get the 40 out, the better - though I notice it's delayed further to December/January...

And Al - yes, Andy's backscene is very good. I'll give it a go - eventually - and anything resembling a sky with clouds will be a relief in the end!

Jeff

The MASTER at work!

An amazing result from such simple materials.

I dunno about Painters to the Gods, it should be THE GOD OF PAINTING!

:clapping: :clapping: :fan: :fan:

Cheers Al, coming from the King of the Cobbles :no: :no: :no: :no: that's some compliment.

Cheers Mate.

Bodge :sungum:

Yes, a wind-blown tree or two would be nice, if you can arrange that!

As for the 4Fs. Well, I'm having to padlock the wallet to prevent ordering a weathered 3F. I'm acquiring far too many steamers at the moment. The sooner Bachmann get the 40 out, the better - though I notice it's delayed further to December/January...

And Al - yes, Andy's backscene is very good. I'll give it a go - eventually - and anything resembling a sky with clouds will be a relief in the end!

Jeff

Forget the diesels, Britain was built on coal, water and good vegetables.

The pic below doesn't suit wind-blown trees, what with exhaust streaming back over the train as in a fairly calm day, but there will no doubt be another version sooner or later with appropriate 'airiness' suggested...     This one is just your basic picture, just like the subject.  Note number. 12B shedcode too although probably not visible here, the original pic is 12,000 pixels wide and it's clear as bell.

post-7929-0-84802000-1379043019.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Forget the diesels, Britain was built on coal, water and good vegetables.

The pic below doesn't suit wind-blown trees, what with exhaust streaming back over the train as in a fairly calm day, but there will no doubt be another version sooner or later with appropriate 'airiness' suggested...     This one is just your basic picture, just like the subject.  Note number. 12B shedcode too although probably not visible here, the original pic is 12,000 pixels wide and it's clear as bell.

attachicon.gif4F_Midland_43922_at_work_2abc_r800.jpg

That's a great shot Rob, what year was that when you took the pic, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahaha.

I do like that weathering on that loco and will try to emulate that when I find the box with my weathering kit in NEXT YEAR. :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I'm currently building more cross-walling, heading in the direction of the viaduct, having modified the fell profile to be more wall-friendly!

I've also planned out (in outline) the build of a delapidated barn structure, as in Scott/Jason's pics earlier in the thread and the articles in BRM last year. I'll be using 3mm ply coated in DAS, with subsequent scribing. As a change from walling, I'm hoping to make a start on this during next week.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Love love love those 4fs they look superb, might have to get one one day. Stone walling looks great too.

Hi Andy, Your backscenes look great I am thinking of doing the sky on my layout and looked at how to paint clouds on Google the other day,seeing yours has definitely made me want to give it a go.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Love love love those 4fs they look superb, might have to get one one day. Stone walling looks great too.

Hi Andy, Your backscenes look great I am thinking of doing the sky on my layout and looked at how to paint clouds on Google the other day,seeing yours has definitely made me want to give it a go.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter.

I got one and had to buy a second. Super model. A 3F will be heading my way shortly.

Anyway, how are you going to accommodate 4Fs on Llanbourne? Or is a new layout in the offing?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Pleasantly quiet on here after the last few days - which have been manic!

I've a section of mod roc and plaster drying at the moment - hardly photogenic! It may be time to play trains again.

Btw - just to open a side discussion. I read the article on Kadees by Nigel Burkin in Hornby Mag today. Informative to me, as I've never used them. Simple question - is it as simple as plugging them into your NEM pockets or is there a catch?

And btw2 - the Baron's latest article - on Trebudoc - is in the current (October) RM. 

Jeff

Pleasantly quiet on here after the last few days - which have been manic!

I've a section of mod roc and plaster drying at the moment - hardly photogenic! It may be time to play trains again.

Btw - just to open a side discussion. I read the article on Kadees by Nigel Burkin in Hornby Mag today. Informative to me, as I've never used them. Simple question - is it as simple as plugging them into your NEM pockets or is there a catch?

And btw2 - the Baron's latest article - on Trebudoc - is in the current (October) RM. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I've not read the article yet, but in answer to your question 'is it as simple as plugging them into your NEM pockets or is there a catch?'

Well it should be, but there is.

The NEM socket is a bit too big (or kadee bit too thin) for it to be a good fit without drooping slightly making the pin have the potential to catch on pointwork.

The solution is simple, just slide a piece of 10thou Plastikard between the kadee and the bottom of the socket.

Of course, there is also 4 different lengths to choose from, I keep a selection of 3 (18,19,20) as these seem to meet most of my needs.

Ray.