Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Andy,

I didn't think it was fair to start talking about weathering sheep.  Jeff has enough on at the moment.  Also, there are probably dozens of types of sheep, including crossbreeds so that would be a study in itself so thin, dirty and the right markings will probably do, with the occasional black one.

What about shearing?  Can't run summer trains through countryside with sheep with heavy fleece, we need accuracy! 

• Like 1

I've spent the last hour or so looking through online databases for info. relating to the Midland 4F (Bachmann model).

I'll have 2 late crest models number 43924 and need these re-numbering to something a bit closer to the S&C (43924 = Bristol).

Not much directly relevant I'm afraid, given the location and time of withdrawal. The best I can do is:

43908    Last depot = Workington (12D) Dec 63 - Nov 64

43953          "                      "                   W/D 11/65

43963          "                      "                   W/D  11/64

43950          "                      "                   W/D  1/65

43964          "                      "                   W/D  9/65      - this was a Kirkby Stephen loco prior to Workington, so may be the hot favourite!

Of course, this may be verging on rivet counting!!

Jeff

Edit: Just discovered this isn't true....it was at Nottingham. Oh well!

Gawd! Finding photos of tenders and such will add to the fun!  Were any of the 43*** series converted to LHD ?  I shall be looking at my many photographic books for RHD Fowler-tender examples with suitable numbers for the Bachmann model, I find the Hornby model a fraction basic, although I used to own a weathered tender drive version long sold.

Now moving along, in my usual lazy style I have spotted a new train in my latest Garsdale-like location, a 1964 double headed special ...  this didn't take too long and I'd be pleased with it but for the WD pic being somehow rather more evocative.  See how my tendency to grimy old working steam is growing?

post-7929-0-76399300-1378418883.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I do like this background, Rob. As Jason said of your previous picture, it's my favourite.

Slightly biased by the fells, of course.

The data I can quickly get to hand shows Midland 4Fs to be RHD, though the LMS 4Fs were LHD from around 44200 onwards.

Jeff

I'm certain that RHD Midland 4Fs were used on the S&C but whether the crews were happy about it might be another matter!

Wouldn't be too hard to 'mirror' a pic and change few numbers and pipes, but it would be terribly dishonest as in the philosophy of art...

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

A quick info thing: Midland and LMS-built 4F's were all right-hand drive up to 44206, so the Bachmann version covers Midland/LMS-built locos up to then. Left-hand drive was introduced with 44207 onwards. There's a goodly selection of both on Wikipedia (Commons) for reference. As usual for specific detail variations (especially tenders) photos of the prototype are essential. Information courtesy of TIM!

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

I may have got lucky with the Midland 4F locos. Well, almost....

Question - someone will know the answer: Leeds Stourton - did it serve the L&Y/would it ever have usurped Leeds Holbeck, as it shedded a fair number of Midland 4Fs.

Jeff:

Stourton was an ex-Midland shed, about 3 miles down the line from Holbeck. Its allocation was all freight engines, including a number of 4Fs. I remember seeing them heading north from Hunslet Lane sidings on many occasions in '61 and '62, presumably for Skipton and Carlisle. 43871 and 43931 were both Stourton engines and both lasted there until 1964.

Following on from my last post I've received the following from the LMS Society:

In addition to the above (post #8282) right-hand drive 4F's also included 44302 - 44311 and ex-S&D locos (former numbers 57-61) 44557 - 44561.

So, spoiled for choice really!

Bill

• RMweb Premium
I may have got lucky with the Midland 4F locos. Well, almost....

Question - someone will know the answer: Leeds Stourton - did it serve the L&Y/would it ever have usurped Leeds Holbeck, as it shedded a fair number of Midland 4Fs.

Jeff:

Stourton was an ex-Midland shed, about 3 miles down the line from Holbeck. Its allocation was all freight engines, including a number of 4Fs. I remember seeing them heading north from Hunslet Lane sidings on many occasions in '61 and '62, presumably for Skipton and Carlisle. 43871 and 43931 were both Stourton engines and both lasted there until 1964.

Thanks for the Stourton info. It gives me a few more options for my 4Fs!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've updated the main Index to the end of page 318, so we're only 2 weeks behind now, rather than 8!!

Will sort out the Rob picture index after a cup of coffee.

If anyone spots a mistake or a glaring omission, please let me know.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How about a MANIKINININIII index :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Dogit :O

I tell you what, just for you, I'll create one. I'll title it "Bodgit's Mankini Index" and I'll update it with the love and care I do for the main one!

It'll be a bit easier - only around 3-4 entries at the moment!

Btw Andy, if you are still after that L/C 4F - Kernow have plenty in stock at the moment.

Jeff

message 8284 about Stourton 4Fs makes me want to buy another!  Kernows are good sellers, too...   but I must moderate this buying!

>> Its allocation was all freight engines, including a number of 4Fs. I remember seeing them heading north from Hunslet Lane sidings on many occasions in '61 and '62, presumably for Skipton and Carlisle. 43871 and 43931 were both Stourton engines and both lasted there until 1964.<<

I hope they had the tender to match the Bachmann l/c model.

(In the middle of building shelves in a spare room here, for perfect accommodation for my excessive collection of engines.. some will be sold in due course) 

Rob

edit p.s. Jeff the index works very well, thanks for doing all the work.  The occasional pic by me is almost invariably off-topic but it does make a nice relief/change in the progress of the various events. That'll be my excuse anyway.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

message 8284 about Stourton 4Fs makes me want to buy another!  Kernows are good sellers, too...   but I must moderate this buying!

>> Its allocation was all freight engines, including a number of 4Fs. I remember seeing them heading north from Hunslet Lane sidings on many occasions in '61 and '62, presumably for Skipton and Carlisle. 43871 and 43931 were both Stourton engines and both lasted there until 1964.<<

I hope they had the correct tender to match the Bachmann model.

(In the middle of building shelves in a spare room here, for perfect accommodation for my excessive collection of engines.. some will be sold in due course

Rob

edit p.s. Jeff the index works very well, thanks for doing all the work.  The occasional pic by me is almost invariably off-topic but it does make a nice relief/change in the progress of the various events. That'll be my excuse anyway.

Evening Rob (Morning for you).

Now WHY would you want to sell any of your locos? Keep collecting them!

I've actually updated your picture index - if you have a look on KL page 226. I think I'm up to early July. I haven't referenced ALL your pics - sometimes a loco has made quite a number of appearances and I've just shown the first 2 or 3. Merchant Navy "United States Lines" (35012) is a good example.

Jeff

ps. I now have 2 x Bachmann 4F 43924s. They'll be heading to TMC on Monday, when I get home!

I tell you what, just for you, I'll create one. I'll title it "Bodgit's Mankini Index" and I'll update it with the love and care I do for the main one!

Btw Andy, if you are still after that L/C 4F - Kernow have plenty in stock at the moment.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, don't worry too much about the index bit, :O  I am not a LOOK AT INDEX PERSON, its a bit like instruction on how to work a DVD player or TV remote. :nono: :scared:

Bodgit and see if it works. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Rob, can you please stop this, all my locos are boxed up and I may not see them again this YEAR, this is driving me mad. :O

But I like it really :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy - what I'd REALLY like Rob to do is to put together his collection - maybe themed according to ex-LMS, LNER etc - on a table and just show us the locos.

Like you, I just LOVE looking at photos of model locos - and then I invariably go and buy a few! How the hell I managed to get through 2012 without buying a single loco I've no idea.

Made up for it this year!

Jeff

I will need some more soon just to look at. 

Not sue about the Blue period, I love the 2 x Class 50's that I got the other day but the new Exhibition Layout may well be Transission, do you think that would work with the Kingsmill track plan? I am thinking; just a yard not an engineering yard. What do you think?

Whoops sorry gone off topic, :O  I have just realised this is KL :beee:  and not the LL. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  

Bodgit :no:

• RMweb Premium

Transition is always a good idea as it gives you such huge flexibility.

I'm quite chuffed since Jason pointed out that, with the infrastructure the way it is, KL could run anywhere from early 50s to late 60s. Opens up a number of potential new Midland purchases - Compounds and 3Fs! Excellent!

As for the new layout - yes, I'd go for just a yard. You enjoy all the yard workings and you can cram in enough trackwork onto your plank to make an Inglenook look simple!

Jeff

• Like 1

Rob, can you please stop this, all my locos are boxed up and I may not see them again this YEAR, this is driving me mad. :O

But I like it really :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

When my 4F arrives I will think of your suffering.  While I create a new picture. 

• Like 1

How about a MANIKINININIII index :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Dogit :O

Illustrated, of course.

Jeff

I see what you did there, Jeff!

• RMweb Premium

Illustrated, of course.

I see what you did there, Jeff!

Just a contingency in the event of further artistic offerings emanating from Perth, WA!!!!

Since I can't do any modelling at present I'll get some more work done on the Indices - maybe even Bodgit's!

As a matter of interest, what kind of steam shunters are you using on Stockrington? (J-- ?)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If it's shunters you want, here is a (wrongly numbered and with buffers rather than blocks) L&Y Pug, Class 23 and the ubiquitous Jinty, although I just class the latter as tank engines really in the case of Bacup as they work trains in, shunt them and then take them out again rather than being allocated just for shunting. The yard is too small to justify that and in practice, I believe that most of the time the loco that worked the freight in would do the shunting, regardless of what it was - seen lots of photos of Black Fives doing just that.

shuntersandsheds002_zps9a97d6ef.jpg

• Like 8

Just a contingency in the event of further artistic offerings emanating from Perth, WA!!!!

Since I can't do any modelling at present I'll get some more work done on the Indices - maybe even Bodgit's!

As a matter of interest, what kind of steam shunters are you using on Stockrington? (J-- ?)

Jeff

Shunters?  Well for ECS movements to and from the yard, I'm now happy to lock in the three Great Danes (Lion, Falcon and Kestrel), as their track holding, and traction performance, is in a class above anything else I own.

For "station pilot" duties, I have a Bachmann J72 which I'm waiting on a decoder for - they are in transit - and a J52 is chipped, but that I need to cut part of the steel chassis off to kit a Kadee to - a job for this weekend, I hope; I have a Bachmann V1/3 that I haven't chipped yet - it's split frame, so I have to do a full distmantle to DCC that one - will do it and my V2 at the same time as they will be very similar innards to convert.  Finally, I have a London Transport pannier I'm going to hold onto for sentimental reasons. 

Of course I'd hope that over the next 5 years or so we may see some updated or new NE region steam outline models, so will keep an open mind (and credit card), as all those non D/E models are well over a decade and a half old.

Cheers

Scott