Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Transition is always a good idea as it gives you such huge flexibility.

I'm quite chuffed since Jason pointed out that, with the infrastructure the way it is, KL could run anywhere from early 50s to late 60s. Opens up a number of potential new Midland purchases - Compounds and 3Fs! Excellent!

As for the new layout - yes, I'd go for just a yard. You enjoy all the yard workings and you can cram in enough trackwork onto your plank to make an Inglenook look simple!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, re 3F and Compound I have a Compound and 2 x 3F's and they are really good, as a matter of interest my 4F has arrived at the shop and I will pick it up on Wednesday all being well, still cant run it though. :no:

Roll on 2014 for a layout at home again :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Board of Swad :scared:

Has anyone seen EX- Dapol Dave, NOW DJM Dave, DJ Models new announcement on here, J94 at £95 and also a Baby Deltic,and an O Gauge J94 at (I think it was )£299. All DCC, all SINGING AND DANCING, sounds like the start of another great company for all of us. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone seen EX- Dapol Dave, NOW DJM Dave, DJ Models new announcement on here, J94 at £95 and also a Baby Deltic,and an O Gauge J94 at (I think it was )£299. All DCC, all SINGING AND DANCING, sounds like the start of another great company for all of us. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy. :sungum:

News to me - I only knew he was leaving Dapol. Another supplier with a positive ethos is always to be welcomed.

As for 3Fs and Compounds..... I'll have a look in my S&C material and figure out what I might need. I was going to get another Jubilee, but a compound will do instead!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can NEVER HAVE TO MANY JUBILEES :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

I quite agree, Andy. Bachmann weathered Jub "Victoria" due out later this year. Temptation.... No doubt that rogue in NZ will buy one!

Btw, no work in the bunker at the mo as I'm not at home. Back to walling when I return. I think I'll start building some platforms in the next couple of weeks.

Jeff

• Like 1

Rob, can you please stop this, all my locos are boxed up and I may not see them again this YEAR, this is driving me mad. :O

Do what I did as a young teenager, buy a model after weeks (seemed like months) of waiting to accrue the pocket money, or receive at Christmas, and then just admire it.   Take out of box and place on a flat surface. Imagination does the rest.    When you get older you might want to build a layout...                       oh...                       wait...

• Like 1

BOX

I have big boxes full of smaller boxes full of Locos, I don't know which Locos are in which of the 8 or so BIG boxes each loco is in.

It will be like 40 plus Christmass Days all in one when I start to unpack.

I will have to make do with just looking at your pics or now mate.

Cheers.

ok Bodgit my commiserations about the boxes amongst boxes amongst boxes,  but I KNOW that you have grubby weathered goods train engines secreted away, and thus offer, from my favourite train-spotting location 'somewhere near Garsdale', Halifax area Stanier 8F 48202 trudges up the hill a long way from home...

Hornby model LMS 8042 with rough numeric on number plate and cabside, clearly a rough post-nationalisation measure, which somebody hasn't changed to sans serif or somesuch

post-7929-0-24324100-1378593944.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now I can see mine on a 40 wagon minerals coming out of the cutting and over the Viaduct. :O

Wonderful stuff again Rob, THANKS. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy, I've run a 9F round KL with 25 wagons behind it. You can add more but even the loco + 25 came in at around 9 feet, which I can just about accommodate in the fiddle yard.

If TLGP is a pure roundy roundy then loco + 40 would be great. Try getting all that lot into one photograph!

Jeff

If it's shunters you want, here is a (wrongly numbered and with buffers rather than blocks) L&Y Pug, Class 23 and the ubiquitous Jinty, although I just class the latter as tank engines really in the case of Bacup as they work trains in, shunt them and then take them out again rather than being allocated just for shunting. The yard is too small to justify that and in practice, I believe that most of the time the loco that worked the freight in would do the shunting, regardless of what it was - seen lots of photos of Black Fives doing just that.

shuntersandsheds002_zps9a97d6ef.jpg

How confusing ... Bacup stuff at Luneside the only two layouts that I'm avidly following.  That chimney must have some sentimental value Sandside not many in the Aire Valley with a 45 degree top!  

Anyway popped into Ingrow on the KWVR yesterday just in time to see the 4F 43924 passing, until comments on these sites about left and right hand drive never realised there was a difference.   All I can say is that with the 4F all the exciting action goes on between the frames....brilliant to see in detail and it sounded great as well. 

Think it's a sensible idea to extend your modelling period Jeff - a 10 year period from say 1957 to 1967 should cover a lot of bases, although it might cost a fortune.  

Keep up the good work...

Simon.. (KK)     

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How confusing ... Bacup stuff at Luneside the only two layouts that I'm avidly following.  That chimney must have some sentimental value Sandside not many in the Aire Valley with a 45 degree top!  

Anyway popped into Ingrow on the KWVR yesterday just in time to see the 4F 43924 passing, until comments on these sites about left and right hand drive never realised there was a difference.   All I can say is that with the 4F all the exciting action goes on between the frames....brilliant to see in detail and it sounded great as well. 

Think it's a sensible idea to extend your modelling period Jeff - a 10 year period from say 1957 to 1967 should cover a lot of bases, although it might cost a fortune.  

Keep up the good work...

Simon.. (KK)     

Cheers Simon.

A little bit of walling done this evening, much more to come!

As discussed with Jason, the period you suggest makes sense. all late crest but plenty more loco and coach options. Expensive.... yes!

And, like you, I'd not realised about left and right hand driving. The first time I saw it I checked it wasn't April 1!!

Jeff

Damm just ticked the funny box,(see LL)

Still we all learn, I found out when I had the Bachmann Brassworks 7mm 4F, and that was RHD so that is probably where Bachmann got the drawings from, and a question; if so why did it take so long to release it, the 7mm one has been out about 5 years. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Another Rant over, :O  must be getting grumpy with no trains to play with model. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, the 45 degree chimney, a remnant of the sloping roof in the Oxford attic. Do I build a third chimney for the site or do I try to continue this one upwards....

(The first was far too wide. It got chucked out when we moved)

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, the 45 degree chimney, a remnant of the sloping roof in the Oxford attic. Do I build a third chimney for the site or do I try to continue this one upwards....

(The first was far too wide. It got chucked out when we moved)

Leaning tower of pizza Pisa.

Twisted tower of Chesterfield

Sloping chimney of Bacup.  There. Signed. Sealed. Delivered.   :rtfm:

Polly

Now I can see mine on a 40 wagon minerals coming out of the cutting and over the Viaduct. :O

Wonderful stuff again Rob, THANKS. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Thankyou.  Will these be 40 loaded minerals weighing something like 640 tons gross, with three 20 ton brakevans at the rear?  Which would allow for a possible runaway and pileup, narrowly averted...? 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Andy, I've run a 9F round KL with 25 wagons behind it. You can add more but even the loco + 25 came in at around 9 feet, which I can just about accommodate in the fiddle yard.

If TLGP is a pure roundy roundy then loco + 40 would be great. Try getting all that lot into one photograph!

Jeff

The appearance of many wagons especially if they are realistically loaded is enough for me to imagine the drama going uphill, or down for that matter,  and is a good test of CV settings and DCC-sound systems.  There are some very long trains on Youtube but they are often a bit boring. Some are 00 outdoor layouts from memory. 

The sounds of rattling 4-wheelers is yet to be perfected, as are squeals, groans and sundry other sounds made by old steam-age goods train of the REAL LARGE HEAVY type.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, back to Kirkby Luneside business!!

I've managed a couple of hours of walling tonight. I think you can expect the next picture update on Tuesday as there are a number of things I want to complete before showing them on here. Since this will probably take between 6 - 9 hours (about the length of time it takes the Baron to build a complete layout) I doubt it'll be finished tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The appearance of many wagons especially if they are realistically loaded is enough for me to imagine the drama going uphill, or down for that matter,  and is a good test of CV settings and DCC-sound systems.  There are some very long trains on Youtube but they are often a bit boring. Some are 00 outdoor layouts from memory. 

The sounds of rattling 4-wheelers is yet to be perfected, as are squeals, groans and sundry other sounds made by old steam-age goods train of the REAL LARGE HEAVY type.

Aside from weathering most of my wagons, the loading aspect is something I'll have to work on. Always seems silly when you see a 9F pulling 30 pristine, empty wagons. And where do you see that? Well, my old layout! Bl**dy stupid and it won't happen again.

Grim realism is so much better than pristine utopia!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK, back to Kirkby Luneside business!!

I've managed a couple of hours of walling tonight. I think you can expect the next picture update on Tuesday as there are a number of things I want to complete before showing them on here. Since this will probably take between 6 - 9 hours (about the length of time it takes the Baron to build a complete layout) I doubt it'll be finished tomorrow.

Jeff

....................waiting.................... :whistle: ................

:senile:

Grim realism is so much better than pristine utopia!

Jeff

That'll explain my being stuck on bedrest for few days with broken skin.  I'll take out the frustration by making new pictures with stolen backgrounds!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND MONEY

My circumstances are not all bad. I haven't had to work for a living. Like common people...

edit; here is a piece of grim reality, otherwise known as 'near' Kirkby Luneside.

post-7929-0-88774500-1378692075.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes Rob. We like our grim reality "oop north!!"

Currently working on.... you guessed it, walls. Quite a bit to do if I'm to meet the picture deadline of tomorrow, so not much time to peruse on here.

I am definitely going to do some image searching for a small number (maybe 3-4) of suitable trees to fit into this scenario. Bill showed one of his favourites from many years ago. If anybody else wishes to do some of the work for me (!!) - please post the images! The trees must be in an open fell setting - and they don't necessarily need to be deformed!

I suspect I'm going to have to custom-make said specimens....

Jeff