Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Thankyou.  Will these be 40 loaded minerals weighing something like 640 tons gross, with three 20 ton brakevans at the rear?  Which would allow for a possible runaway and pileup, narrowly averted...? 

Oh dear, I need to buy more brake vans then :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

That'll explain my being stuck on bedrest for few days with broken skin.  I'll take out the frustration by making new pictures with stolen backgrounds!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND MONEY

My circumstances are not all bad. I haven't had to work for a living. Like common people...

edit; here is a piece of grim reality, otherwise known as 'near' Kirkby Luneside.

attachicon.gifBR_Jubilee_45562_S_and_C_Leeds_Carlisle1_1958_5abcde_r800.jpg

Hi Rob, I don't know about the money, but I am pinching ideas for my LGP. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

ONE DAY :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

The Dodgy Baron :sungum:

Yes Rob. We like our grim reality "oop north!!"

Currently working on.... you guessed it, walls. Quite a bit to do if I'm to meet the picture deadline of tomorrow, so not much time to peruse on here.

I am definitely going to do some image searching for a small number (maybe 3-4) of suitable trees to fit into this scenario. Bill showed one of his favourites from many years ago. If anybody else wishes to do some of the work for me (!!) - please post the images! The trees must be in an open fell setting - and they don't necessarily need to be deformed!

I suspect I'm going to have to custom-make said specimens....

Jeff 

Jeff old boy, I am told Hydrangea cuttings are quite good, one guy at club has made quite a few from said specimen in garden. :O

Here endeth the Lesson. :no: :no: :no:

The knowledgeable BARON :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff old boy, I am told Hydrangea cuttings are quite good, one guy at club has made quite a few from said specimen in garden. :O

Here endeth the Lesson. :no: :no: :no:

The knowledgeable BARON :sungum:

Yes, Andy. I've got my eye on the hydrangea growing just outside my back door. Achillea are quite good too - anything with a broad, multi-headed flower.

One thing I've never tried, and probably won't, is using wire. I've always used plastic armatures in the past. Key thing about KL is the form of the tree. In exposed places there won't be tons of lush foliage, so the shape is the key.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Temporary hiatus while everything dries out.

No, I haven't been scuba diving!

At present, the area I'll show photos of tomorrow evening is an absolute mess! Just hope it clears up ok. I should be able to get a bit more done in about 4 hours.

Sorry to be so cryptic. And don't get too excited, it's nothing special!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm wetting myself already with Great Expectations on a Masterpiece in the Making.

Baron Von Dung Wet :sungum:

I think you may have difficulty spotting what I've actually done, Andy! Honestly - it's taking a long time to change very little.

Actually, I've done a couple of things. I'll let you be the judge....coming to a screen near you, tomorrow.

Btw, you must be getting bored - I think you've posted more stuff than all the rest of the Forum put together!

Jeff

I'm not bored. A bit worried by my buying a second 4F,  but bored, never!

The idea is to weather the second 4F myself, to match my TMC weathered Compound... except my own weathering is called 'matt black', approximately.  All of which is a weak excuse to put a LMS Compound pic in here and move the KL timeframe back to 1953. The fells looked different then you know.

As for trees, I shall keep my eyes open.

post-7929-0-14532900-1378759693.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Watching glue dry is something everyone with any sense of wisdom does regularly. Or plaster, or paint.

Here is a more KL-style engine, late BR condition, although I doubt these ex-WD 2-8-0s were ever cleaned in their hard-working unloved lives. Pictured here in the same 'place' as the Compound. What a contrast! 

Do you have a WD or two for KL?

post-7929-0-37031200-1378785323.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

The appearance of many wagons especially if they are realistically loaded is enough for me to imagine the drama going uphill, or down for that matter,  and is a good test of CV settings and DCC-sound systems.  There are some very long trains on Youtube but they are often a bit boring. Some are 00 outdoor layouts from memory. 

The sounds of rattling 4-wheelers is yet to be perfected, as are squeals, groans and sundry other sounds made by old steam-age goods train of the REAL LARGE HEAVY type.

Indeed.  The 4mm waggon does not have the mass or size to it of a full sized one, but still...

One of my minerals (or more than one...) has a squeak to it.  I have never bothered to seek it out, as I think it adds to the soundscape of the layout.  I can run up to 38 (I think...) 16 tonners on a train.  9F on the head, and just a single brake van.  Running northbound, mostly, empty except for the unsweaped corners of a few of the waggons.  (with added coal, to identify which ones have resistors added for train detection).

Occasionally, it appears running south- whenever the computer routes it that way...I know it should be loaded going one way or another, but that's what I have to work with.

The next "long" train that I want to get working on, is to build up the Conflat P's.  The Era of Long Marton is firmly fixed- post war, post 1952, pre 1966.   I'm not going to fix it down tighter than that, as it allows for most of the "last" of steam, without getting to the total horrid condition that the last few years fixed on everything. 

We had the Victoria (BC) trainshow over the weekend.  Next step is to clean the Lego layout off (dusting it), then set up the boy's layout (5x5, Thomas the Tank Engine), and carry on with Long Marton.

James

I think you may have difficulty spotting what I've actually done, Andy! Honestly - it's taking a long time to change very little.

Actually, I've done a couple of things. I'll let you be the judge....coming to a screen near you, tomorrow.

Btw, you must be getting bored - I think you've posted more stuff than all the rest of the Forum put together!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, the fact that you have taken your time and have a full photographic record of its progress is wonderful, and in years to come it will be nice to look back at these pics just as I have done over the last couple of weeks with Kingsmill's build.

I am getting so frustrated that when I move I might get an 8 x 4 board a bit of Hornby track and NAIL it down just to run a train, hhhahaaaaa.

Bodgit the board / bored :no: :no: :no:

Lovely picture of the Compound, Rob. I shall certainly be buying one of those!

Just off into the bunker to see how the drying is progressing - or not, as the case may be.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes I ticked AGREE, but I thought I would take the time to actually say that I think it is a really great pick of a much underrated Loco.

Bodgit :sungum:

Watching glue dry is something everyone with any sense of wisdom does regularly. Or plaster, or paint.

Here is a more KL-style engine, late BR condition, although I doubt these ex-WD 2-8-0s were ever cleaned in their hard-working unloved lives. Pictured here in the same 'place' as the Compound. What a contrast! 

Do you have a WD or two for KL?

attachicon.gifex_WD_90305_2abcde_r800_crop2.jpg

Morning (here in the UK)Rob, WD looks the bizzzz, great work by the Great Man Again.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Wheres the bloomin pics? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I will be back at midnight :no: :no: :no: :no:

Dodgy EX car salesman :sungum:

Hi Andy.

I've still got 3-4 hours work before I can show anything. Not that anything is FINISHED, just a bit tidier than at the mo. You'll see what I mean - I will put LOTS of pics up, I promise.

Just don't expect anything amazing - cos it aint!!!!

Jeff

Wheres the bloomin pics? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I will be back at midnight :no: :no: :no: :no:

Dodgy EX car salesman :sungum:

Hi Jeff

Would you believe me if I said that it's NOT JUST "Dodgy EX car salesmen" that are looking for pics??????????

Eagerly Awaiting Lune

P.S. I will be back long before midnight!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Would you believe me if I said that it's NOT JUST "Dodgy EX car salesmen" that are looking for pics??????????

Eagerly Awaiting Lune

P.S. I will be back long before midnight!!

Glad to hear it, Chip!

I have a specific "surprise" just for you..... 

Jeff

I'll add my 'me too' to that as well.

Now that our internet issues seem to be resolved it should be a pleasure to view them rather than a chore.

Come on Jeff!! my first visit today and I expected to see them :mosking:

Impatient of East Yorks (Jim)

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff

Those stiles look really good and of course the wall itself following the valley, I did notice the sheep fold up top as well.

They may only be small changes but they are important ones that help complete the whole.

Keep up the good work.

Envious of E.Yorks.

2 styles of stile with chip's prototypes. sorry the photos aren't very detailed...

attachicon.gif100_4078.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4079.JPG

attachicon.gifpost-8639-0-32206400-13755644401.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4089.JPG

attachicon.gifpost-8639-0-68340900-13715850071.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff

VERY VERY IMPRESSED

I think it's safe to say that work deserves 11/10

I've never seen a wall on a model that's looks anywhere near as good as that does, it's brilliant.

As with most things in life, "you only get out what you put in" and the effort YOU put into this whole layout is fantastic, A VERY BIG THANK YOU for sharing it with us all.

Chip

Tomorrow I might just have some more pics for YOU.