Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Morning Jeff

After the Wow moment of being blown away by your modelling I had a closer look at the walls. If I have a small criticism it is that in post 8350 the stones on the top of the wall on the stile are a bit to small, I wouldn't want to see it dislodged onto some poor hikers foot :O . Looking at Chips photos the end stones are a lot bigger.

All in all though it's great and in one photo I could even see the difference between the green and brown :scratchhead:

I really must make time to do some work of my own.

Elf & safety of E.Yorks

• RMweb Premium

And I woke up, switched on me Flip Flop for another look, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  I have been saying for the last 3 years :no: :no: :no: (O.K. maybe I exaggerate a little) that you need grass to bring it to life.

Get a nice blue Sky next. :O

Then Bodgit :sungum:

Morning Andy. 

The main backscene boards (all except the one right in the corner) can be unscrewed from the rear (above the fiddle yard) and so are easy to access. I'll make some kind of attempt at a "sky" in a week or two.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just popped in 'cos I couldn't sleep.

AMAZING!

You have absolutely nailed the look and feel of the fells, brilliant mate, well done!

Al

Not to worry, you'll soon be able to count the sheep on KL.

:lazy:

Luney shepardess

• RMweb Premium

Not to worry, you'll soon be able to count the sheep on KL.

:lazy:

Luney shepardess

You reckon? In any case, it wouldn't take long....I've around 50 sheep (including lambs) at the moment!

Update:

I've started building the ascending wall at the far end of the Fell, near the viaduct. This is going to be tricky as there are some relatively steep slopes in here.

I'll also build a different kind of sheepfold for this section and, once fitted, a bit more grass can spring into life....

Timescale? End of the weekend.

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning Andy. 

The main backscene boards (all except the one right in the corner) can be unscrewed from the rear (above the fiddle yard) and so are easy to access. I'll make some kind of attempt at a "sky" in a week or two.

Jeff

DON'T TOUCH IT :O  until I have posted some pics in the next couple of days,

Bodgit :sungum:

You reckon? In any case, it wouldn't take long....I've around 50 sheep (including lambs) at the moment!

Update:

I've started building the ascending wall at the far end of the Fell, near the viaduct. This is going to be tricky as there are some relatively steep slopes in here.

I'll also build a different kind of sheepfold for this section and, once fitted, a bit more grass can spring into life....

Jeff

Good stuff Jeff, you have worked wonders so far, take it easy, and ENJOY. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested, here is the situation with the next wall.

This is after around one hour of building time - there are around 90 different bricks in place.

This particular part of the wall is a bit of a bu**er because of the slope. The glue is now being allowed to set to provide the base for the next hour of attack - later this evening.

post-13778-0-06489800-1378920179_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-44314200-1378920185_thumb.jpg

I'll take pics at different times in the construction of this wall. It gives an idea of the processes involved!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DON'T TOUCH IT :O  until I have posted some pics in the next couple of days,

Don't worry, Andy. The backscene is the part of the layout I loathe doing the most. Give me ballasting any day!

I'd originally planned to buy a photographic scene, but it would be wholly inappropriate. The best I can do is a decent sky and the odd cloud or two. Pity Bob Ross (remember him?) wasn't still around!

Jeff

• Like 1

Don't worry, Andy. The backscene is the part of the layout I loathe doing the most. Give me ballasting any day!

I'd originally planned to buy a photographic scene, but it would be wholly inappropriate. The best I can do is a decent sky and the odd cloud or two. Pity Bob Ross (remember him?) wasn't still around!

Jeff

Jeff.

Bob Ross was a hero of mine, I used to enjoy his programs on TV about 10 years ago.

Think about a photographic back scene, YOU ARE IN THE VALLEY looking UP OVER YOUR HILLSIDE, so you would ONLY SEE SKY. :O

Hi Jeff

Some MORE photo's for you, apologies for the quality of the first one, (cameraman needs shooting!!) but it does show the angle in relation to the ground the best.

post-8639-0-43314800-1378921227.jpg

post-8639-0-66694100-1378921263.jpg

post-8639-0-73100900-1378921306.jpg

Those 3 are all the same tree, just taken at different angles.

These next four are of a different tree, again just different views.

post-8639-0-65913300-1378921452.jpg

post-8639-0-03394500-1378921493.jpg

post-8639-0-51763100-1378921519.jpg

post-8639-0-48224400-1378921541.jpg

There are a couple of trees right on the top of the "Knott" which is what I set off to get pictures of today, but by the time I got to these 2 (about half way up) the cloud had descended and not even for Kirkby Luneside was I going any higher today!!!!!!!!

Hope you like/can make use of these.

Chip

• Like 6

Jeff

Not a lot left to do now :jester:  :jester:

More walls, more grass, sheep, people, ballasting, buildings, weathering, trees, back scene, vehicles, wagon loads (all with detailing). Have I left anything out? :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Should be finished by Christmas :jester:  :O  just not saying which year. :jester:

Duncan The Optomistic

• RMweb Premium

Jeff.

Bob Ross was a hero of mine, I used to enjoy his programs on TV about 10 years ago.

Think about a photographic back scene, YOU ARE IN THE VALLEY looking UP OVER YOUR HILLSIDE, so you would ONLY SEE SKY. :O

Can you buy photographic backscenes that only have sky on them? I haven't looked recently.... it would be a lot better than I could achieve with a brush and paint.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Chip, that is worth FAR more than one "Like". The things Lunesters will do to help!

I'm hoping we'll get a window of clarity on Saturday as I plan to go up Blencathra - haven't been to the top for the best part of ten years. I'll have the camera primed for trees!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, having looked at the International Models site - I recommend them - I find that there are, indeed, "Summer Sky" photographic backscenes.

At 10 feet x 15", these are worth trying.

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/15__Inch__15___High_Backscenes.html

... scroll to the bottom of the page.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Where do I start?  The wall up the hill is looking good.  Don't forget to put a gate in, or at least a hole otherwise the sheep will either not get in or out! 

I was going to google trees, but Chip's ones are what I was thinking of, but more streamlined into the wind, and if you are going up yourself then you should get plenty of ideas.

Finally, the sky background looks alright, sort of, but it is blue and not grey and overcast with brooding clouds.  Which day between 1952 and 1965 were you going to model?  ;)

I'll get me coat.  (Actually, I love brooding clouds.  I have a colleague who has a background on her computer with brooding clouds somewhere in Yorkshire over moors which looks fabulous.)

Far too 'fixed', with fluffy white clouds, better to have nondescript pale blue wash down to off-white in my humble opinion.   The photos will always look the same, and are too 'nice', and don't evoke 'air' or breeze, ort ever-changing light, which is what the S&C is all about..

my twopennyworth

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff. I am with Chris here on the sky though, cloudy over sunny any day.

With regard to the gate you intend to fit, have you made the gap suitable for a ready made one? I would be cracking out the Microstrip if I were you and making a bespoke one, rather than trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. Plus, messing around with plastic strips will be good practice for later when you tackle the buildings.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Where do I start?  The wall up the hill is looking good.  Don't forget to put a gate in, or at least a hole otherwise the sheep will either not get in or out! 

I was going to google trees, but Chip's ones are what I was thinking of, but more streamlined into the wind, and if you are going up yourself then you should get plenty of ideas.

Finally, the sky background looks alright, sort of, but it is blue and not grey and overcast with brooding clouds.  Which day between 1952 and 1965 were you going to model?  ;)

I'll get me coat.  (Actually, I love brooding clouds.  I have a colleague who has a background on her computer with brooding clouds somewhere in Yorkshire over moors which looks fabulous.)

Thanks Chris. Keep watching, in case I do make silly mistakes!

The gate will be part of the cross wall at the lower part of the Fell. I was thinking of building another sheepfold at this end of the Fell, in the style of the summit shelter on Helvellyn - which sheep DO use. I've seen them in there - and fed them my Mars bars while they were there!!

craigcarter9.jpg

What do you reckon? I like it - and it's different to the previous one.

Jeff

• Like 1

(O.K. maybe I exaggerate a little) that you need grass to bring it to life.

Get a nice blue Sky next. :O

Then Bodgit :sungum:

No, fixed fluffy white clouds are for hotel advertising.   Now we cannot have things 'nice'...   next you'll be telling be that cruise ships are great fun..  and the sun always shines in Glasgow.

Edit.  My 4F has arrived. Are you going to tell me they were always clean?  <g>

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

As nice as the shelter is (and I have sheltered there a few times myself after lugging my bike up there), it is unfortunately not in keeping with the area you are modelling. I say set yourself a challenge and build a decrepit barn with holes in the roof. I can give you hints, etc. on the roof (I *think* I managed the knackered roof to look convincing on the BCB cart shed). Quite a few old, abandoned structures on the fells in the most unusual places.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is looking very good Jeff. Seeing how well you have done the rest I reckon you might well do a better job on the backscene than you think. However find a bit of scrap hardboard, get a tester pot of something like Midsummer blue emulsion and some white emulsion and have a go.

On a different forum someone has been suggesting having a single scale forum I have tried to point out I enjoy RM web as it is multi scale. Your thread is a good example I don't model in 4mm thesedays so most of my stuff is not rtr and I prefer to build track rather buy it and I do not model the S&C but this is one of the most inspirational threads. You have had a go and the results speak for themselves. I got hear by first looking at Andy's Trebudoc and George's Abbotts Mead both 0 gauge hence the interest this has led me onto other things including yours for which I am grateful. I edited the Gauge 0 Gazette for four years. If I was editing a magazine now I would be torn between tying you to a computer to get the article or chaining you to the layout to get it finished......

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update:

Jeff

Have you tried counting 50 odd sheep randomly spread out in a field without losing count...even if they don't move about.

I reckon, by the time I'd have started again for the third time I'd be pretty frustrated and be up all night trying to get it right...

Hmmm, maybe counting sheep is not the best thing to get you to sleep.

Sky.  We have Sky Blue emulsion on Avago and Camel Quay.  If you have detachtable backscenes, this will be really useful - any unwanted marks that mysteriously appear soon disappear under a few more brush strokes.

What I notice with stuck on backscenes is how easy they become tatty along the edges or look unsightly if they get damaged, and I've read some modellers comments that find they ripple when they are stuck on.  Though I have also seen some splendid backscenes such as on BCB (Black Country Blues).  Maybe leave the backscene until most of the other work is finished.  You'll also have a better idea of the overall colour effect on the layout.  There's nothing worse than having superb colour work on layout and backscene only to find that they simply clash with each other.

Keep those photos coming, Jeff. It's quite fascinating watching it all coming together and looking at everyone's responses.

Yeah.  :good:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff. I am with Chris here on the sky though, cloudy over sunny any day.

With regard to the gate you intend to fit, have you made the gap suitable for a ready made one? I would be cracking out the Microstrip if I were you and making a bespoke one, rather than trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. Plus, messing around with plastic strips will be good practice for later when you tackle the buildings.

As nice as the shelter is (and I have sheltered there a few times myself after lugging my bike up there), it is unfortunately not in keeping with the area you are modelling. I say set yourself a challenge and build a decrepit barn with holes in the roof. I can give you hints, etc. on the roof (I *think* I managed the knackered roof to look convincing on the BCB cart shed). Quite a few old, abandoned structures on the fells in the most unusual places.

Hi Jason.

Re. the gate(s). Yep, I'll be building my own - when I get round to ordering some microstrip.

Re. the backscene. The photo ones - having thought about it - are a bit bright and not in keeping with the "scratchbuild" approach I've taken throughout.

I'll just "give it a go"!!

Re. the additional fold. I'm looking at a collection of Lakeland pics at the moment. There'll be a small structure atop the hill. The bothy - discussed previously - will inhabit the valley.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried counting 50 odd sheep randomly spread out in a field without losing count...even if they don't move about.

I reckon, by the time I'd have started again for the third time I'd be pretty frustrated and be up all night trying to get it right...

Hmmm, maybe counting sheep is not the best thing to get you to sleep.

Sky.  We have Sky Blue emulsion on Avago and Camel Quay.  If you have detachtable backscenes, this will be really useful - any unwanted marks that mysteriously appear soon disappear under a few more brush strokes.

What I notice with stuck on backscenes is how easy they become tatty along the edges or look unsightly if they get damaged, and I've read some modellers comments that find they ripple when they are stuck on.  Though I have also seen some splendid backscenes such as on BCB (Black Country Blues).  Maybe leave the backscene until most of the other work is finished.  You'll also have a better idea of the overall colour effect on the layout.  There's nothing worse than having superb colour work on layout and backscene only to find that they simply clash with each other.

Keep those photos coming, Jeff. It's quite fascinating watching it all coming together and looking at everyone's responses.

Yeah.  :good:

Polly

Polly - the extent of the wall after TWO hours work will be evident in around half an hour when I take some more pics. It's slow going, but progress is being made.

And thanks for the suggestions. I'll just have to become da vinci for the day!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No, fixed fluffy white clouds are for hotel advertising.   Now we cannot have things 'nice'...   next you'll be telling be that cruise ships are great fun..  and the sun always shines in Glasgow.

Edit.  My 4F has arrived. Are you going to tell me they were always clean?  <g>

Rob - I have a quite STAGGERING tale to tell re. TMC, but you will have to wait until tomorrow.

Let's just say that my story provides the strongest recommendation to deal with them.

If you tune in tomorrow evening you'll see what I mean!!

Jeff