Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

With Hornby LHD and Bachhy RHD 4F's and two 3F's in boxes somewhere I am ready for anything Midland.

If I don't get sorted soon I will be PLAYING on the lounge carpet saying Chuff Chuff Chuff, as per 20  try 50 years ago. :scratchhead:

Kid Bog Tid :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

With Hornby LHD and Bachhy RHD 4F's and two 3F's in boxes somewhere I am ready for anything Midland.

If I don't get sorted soon I will be PLAYING on the lounge carpet saying Chuff Chuff Chuff, as per 20  try 50 years ago. :scratchhead:

Kid Bog Tid :sungum:

And I bet your mum used to sit you on her knee at feeding time.... "Open up the tunnel....here comes the puffer train...choo choo chooo"!?

You MUST remember that from 50 20 years ago!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

And I bet your mum used to sit you on her knee at feeding time.... "Open up the tunnel....here comes the puffer train...choo choo chooo"!?

You MUST remember that from 50 20 years ago!

Jeff

I used to do that to my daughter 10 years ago. Were I to do it now, she'd probably slap me! :O

Oh, and for some foodstuffs, a helicopter was the transport of choice, probably 'cos Dad's impression of a helicopter made her laugh so much...

:senile:

Al

• RMweb Premium

I used to do that to my daughter 10 years ago. Were I to do it now, she'd probably slap me! :O

Oh, and for some foodstuffs, a helicopter was the transport of choice, probably 'cos Dad's impression of a helicopter made her laugh so much...

:senile:

Al

Nah, I'm sure you do a great impersonation of a Johnson 3F and a Fowler 4F...... Helicopters? What are they!!?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,,thought of your today as me and my mate did a north east Round Robin and came south over the S & C in brilliant sunshine with views of the Lake District and the Pennines.   We put the world to rights and played our usual game of performance management for politicians.  We aim to hang one a day to keep them on their toes and the list needed updating. 

Good company, good weather and the brilliant S & C with memories of 11th August 1968 and other days, how much better could it get.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,,thought of your today as me and my mate did a north east Round Robin and came south over the S & C in brilliant sunshine with views of the Lake District and the Pennines.   We put the world to rights and played our usual game of performance management for politicians.  We aim to hang one a day to keep them on their toes and the list needed updating. 

Good company, good weather and the brilliant S & C with memories of 11th August 1968 and other days, how much better could it get.

Jamie

With excellent weather on the S&C, and consequent spectacular views, I'm not surprised you put the world to rights!

I've been in the same frame of mind during my recent fell walks - the weather has been generally excellent. I'm in south Cumbria now. Hoping the weekend of the 5th Oct will be good as I'd like to get up Grassmoor, Eel Crag and Grisedale Pike in the Coledale area above Crummock Water.

My only regret was not getting a ride or two on the S&C over the summer - instead of building a giant patio for a friend (see the Lounge).

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all,

Some cracking photo's from Jason and I totally agree - well within topic, we all need goods vehicles by the wagon load! Your detailing is superb Jason. As for brake vans, there is a national shortage of these, I got lucky in Scarborough a month or so ago where he had a couple of ex:LMS options which I snapped up.

Keep up the good efforts lad's.

Rob, I really like the green livery on that early-crest A3...."Ladas" again, I presume?

Is the green different from your other A3s? Is the tone a consequence of the weathering process?

No A3s for me at the moment, mind. Too much rolling stock to sort out - of the more basic kind....wagons!

Jeff

Enjoying Cumbria I hope. 

The colours in my weathered engines vary like the weather, lighting varies every day and is sometimes 80% daylight 20% tungsten, sometimes the other way around, with in-camera filters and photo-editing, who's to say what real Brunswick green looks like?

Off to eat my morning toast now, a bright Spring morning.

Rob being seriously off-topic.    p s thanks all it's a fine thread

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Here comes the....choo choo" routine...a bit more that 20 years ago, though.....

And I remember Uncle introducing me to "The runaway train went over the hill [talking of hills] and...." oh...you can finish it off....

Jason, thanks for the 3F pics. Gorgeous. Most appreciated.

Before I get thrown out for being off topic the "improvement" to Ray's 3F is...er....[cover your eyes, folks] conversion to P4.... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Oh yes....indeedy....but he had it running this evening with coach behind the tender....Ooooooooooooo.  No body, mind. That will no doubt get a makeover once it's up and running.  Jason's locos and wagons certainly are the business and to be emulated.

Ray's pic over on Bodgits Crammore, apparently.

Glad you're enjoying the fells, Jeff.

Sanity may return by the time your back...

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Yes Rays pic on Crammore worried me, I thought he was implying that I should go P4, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  I have only just got my head around going Fine Scale and now it all packed away I cant even get to that out to play :no: work on :scared:

Bodgit :sungum:

Come back Jeff we need some walls :O

• RMweb Premium

Yes Rays pic on Crammore worried me, I thought he was implying that I should go P4, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  I have only just got my head around going Fine Scale and now it all packed away I cant even get to that out to play :no: work on :scared:

Come back Jeff we need some walls :O

Morning Andy.

Miracle of miracles, I've actually managed to get a wi-fi connection to my laptop while I'm in the house (dad doesn't have internet so I normally have to go and sit in the car with the laptop - or use my phone). So I'm watching.....

Don't worry about P4. A minor technicality! Worry about designing the next diorama/micro layout (TLGP can wait). Get that inventive brain of yours working on the project. I ought to send you a batch of wagons to weather for me - that'd keep you busy! (only joking)

Walling? What's that? You will see DAS next week but it'll be to do with the shack. 

OK, over to Crammore now...

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning Andy.

Miracle of miracles, I've actually managed to get a wi-fi connection to my laptop while I'm in the house (dad doesn't have internet so I normally have to go and sit in the car with the laptop - or use my phone). So I'm watching.....

Don't worry about P4. A minor technicality! Worry about designing the next diorama/micro layout (TLGP can wait). Get that inventive brain of yours working on the project. I ought to send you a batch of wagons to weather for me - that'd keep you busy! (only joking)

Walling? What's that? You will see DAS next week but it'll be to do with the shack. 

OK, over to Crammore now...

Jeff

Morning Jeff, (just) I am going to start a project after the weekend :O  and I think I have a plan :no: , cant say to much yet as I will probably change my mind by Sunday night :nono: :nono: after I have seen a layout idea at the Loughborough Show that I can adapt :declare: .

I am also going to try and find my weathering stuff as I have some new locos I can do, like the Compound, 4F and I think there is another couple.

The Old Den is now a very draughty place when the wind blows :scared:  :scared:  as it is a Roller Door with about a 4 inch gap along the top to allow for the extra thickness of the roller when its up, and 1/2 inch at the bottom.

Loading the car tonight and then an early start in the morning to set up ready for 9am and then its off for a Bacon Bap :no: to start the day properly.

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in to see if anyone had anything interesting to say...

Remember - if you come across a photo of a derelict stone shed (no doors, windows, bits of roof missing etc) - post them on here.

Jeff

Is this interesting enough?  Took this photo of newly-purchased aftermarket-weathered 34003, experimenting with lighting and perspective, no abandoned stone huts in sight.. Not a finished picture, but it's a lovely model, even has chalk train number on smokebox, hard to photograph, or maybe I hadn't organised the lighting well enough, should have put this in the Lounge really,  I am still waiting for more grass on the fells, but I'm not the one who does the work on hillsides around here!

Actually the picture is trying to 'get back to basics' without much ephemera like signals and telephone poles. Reminds me of the pictures in my 1958 'Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain'.

post-7929-0-31044000-1380317129.jpg

Rob (where it is raw, blustery and grey today)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff we bought a cottage years ago that nearly matched your description. The doors were there, but an upstairs window was missing and the roof had a gap where the tiles had parted due to the worm in the rafters. Not S&C though.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you'd want to live in the wreck that I envisage on that hillside!

I'm checking in here using the phone. What a pain. Will keep an eye out to see if you lot post anything intetesting!!

Jeff

Noted, Jeff. I have been photographing trains since 1959 (Box Brownie) and have tried most angles. I don't know why but I find front views a bit less than riveting, I like to see the workings of the machine, but with several new models arriving probably this coming week, I shall be thinking of some slightly different angles and styles, more suited maybe to the dark shadowy atmosphere of the steam age.

Not in Cumbria, though! The sun always shines in Cumbria. <g>

Basically I just like impressive views of trains going by.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

You should always do what YOU feel is best, Rob.

I must admit to a liking of front views as the view from buffer beams to smokebox door...the "face" of the model.. characterises the loco.

As always, we go with your judgement!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the gates I mentioned ages ago I've found the following pictures:

http://www.freeirishphotos.com/images/large/rural/farm_gates_1.jpg (but imagine as a single gate)

http://www.freeirishphotos.com/images/large/rural/farm_gate_1.jpg. As above but as one gate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbirdma/8469775659/ is very fancy!

and

http://wallsandhedges.blogspot.co.uk/2011_04_01_archive.html What a blog this is, all you need to know about stone walls and stoops!

Andy G