New OO gauge Class 73

Tail lights on a 73 should be red blinds in the rear cab. They would only apply if the loco is running light engine, or at the rear of a train (pull-push mode?). In the latter case, one would then need to kill the headlight and forward blind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tail lights on a 73 should be red blinds in the rear cab. They would only apply if the loco is running light engine, or at the rear of a train (pull-push mode?). In the latter case, one would then need to kill the headlight and forward blind.

Often a point of detail which catches out the unwary or non-SR modeller (or manufacturer) who might be unaware of SR practice.

The headcode should be lit after dark and in practice was usually lit at all times but just not visibly so during daylight.  The high intensity headlight, where fitted, must be on at the leading end when in motion.

The trailing end of a 73 requires double red blinds (lit internally at night) only if this is the end of the train.  Double reds is the authorised end-of-train marker on the SR for suitably-equipped stock.  When the loco is hauling a train the trailing end should show double whites and the last vehicle in the train then requires a tail lamp or, if fitted, double red roller blinds to be displayed to the rear.  Black blanks on the class 73 blinds were for use only when a single-digit headcode was displayed such as 7 (correctly black blank in the "tens" and 7 in the "units" but often seen the other way about).  When double-heading the leading end of any locomotive coupled "inside" must also display double white blanks.

For operation off the SR a conventional tail lamp was required as staff were not necessarily trained to accept double red blinds as the end-of-train marker.  The lamp was to be carried in addition to displaying double reds.  If the loco were to be run on diesel for an extended time such that the batteries might run down and not be re-charged from the third rail then conventional lamps would also be required.

Berthed locos should show double reds at both ends.

The same issue arises with the 73 as with all other SR types namely how to make best use of the headcode displays.  They cannot be wound or changed in traffic as per the real thing.  Personally I have settled for a compromise whereby each loco (of class 33 only until the 73s and 74s arrive) displays a suitable headcode at one end and either double whites or double reds at the other.  It occasionally means a loco runs forwards displaying double reds.  That is a modelling compromise I have to accept.  Our layouts all differ; some require regular operation in both directions while on others the loco can be turned by hand out of sight.   For some layouts a headcode displayed at both ends might be the best option.  It's a decision we all have to make based on our own circumstances.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Thanks Rick. The double blank reds were great and made a big impression on me whenever I was down south. Maybe Dapol's reverse lighting was an attempt at lighting a loco that was pushing and required the reds lit.

I did lighting on my SR inspection saloon with double white blanks showing and both a 1.5mm red and warm white led behind the panel......looked naff though. There are bi- leds that can contain both colours though............surely these days we deserve an LCD display with changeable codes.

I really must disagree with this last statement. Dapol are the manufacturer and they are responsible for managing quality and the supply chain just like any other business. The 'buck' stops with them I'm afraid and it is their reputation (and sales) that is tarnished by the poor livery effort on 73102.

How interesting, from your post and others in response to mine I am starting to feel that we may actually be willing to pay double the prices now to have full control over the entire manufacturing process here in the UK. I am sorry but once Dapol approves the production run they are 'in the hands of gods' as to how the Chinese operative shall enact the livery. I very much doubt the operative was the same as who produced the pre-production liveries or was involved with the subsequent negotiations which revolved around improvements. Thus there is utterly no way to control the final production run turning out with all range of errors....unless you are overviewing production here in the UK. With the design team up stairs and the operatives downstairs. Until we accept we want to pay a significant amount for British manufacturing we sadly are in the utter bizzare trap between east and west product expectations.

I certainly think it is a industry wide issue, livery and detail errors seem to be out of whole product control and perhaps we do need to consider we do get what we pay for.

Interesting discussion, I hope to continue reading.

Interesting also the response about how Dapol did the Westerns right or the n-guage right. As this was under a complete different design team and factory.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow managed bi-leds with the Thumper though the shade of red on the rears is questionable.  The down-side to that is the double white blanks you are obliged to have on the front unless you stick numbers over them which then show up as red-on-black numbers when the unit changes direction!

• RMweb Gold

Kernow managed bi-leds with the Thumper though the shade of red on the rears is questionable. The down-side to that is the double white blanks you are obliged to have on the front unless you stick numbers over them which then show up as red-on-black numbers when the unit changes direction!

Tbh, until someone comes up with fully working roller blinds in 4mm, i'm happy with the white blanks on the front. It's better than red numbers on the rear.... I think (in my opinion) the red rear blinds are probably a more distinctive feature of BR SR EMU's than the headcode numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Erm, don't Dapol already produce the Class 73 in 'n' gauge? Surely all the info. they needed was already there.

I just wonder perhaps whether someone from Dapol should have gone to China to inspect the production models before they went on the boat, rather than wait until they arrived in the country?

Unfortunately Dapol had to re-run the bodies of the N Gauge class 73 in intercity as the roof was the wrong colour. The bodies from the initial faulty batch are available on their website for £5 if you look hard enough: http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=729

Dapol have been plagued with livery errors in N - incorrect Intercity/Intercity 125 branding on Mk3s, changes in colour & matt/satin finish between batches and not forgetting a maroon Western with no yellow warning panels.

They're not the only ones though - Bachmann/Farish delayed the release of the Duchess due to livery issues.

The problem is that these models are ending up in the shops rather than Dapol going back to the factory and getting new bodies made in the correct colours. I'm sure most modellers would rather a release be delayed by a couple of months rather than being released in significantly the wrong colours

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I am sorry to sound negative but I am honestly fed up with basic livery errors. Recently we have seen these from Hornby (HSTs and class 60s), Heljan (class 33 number fonts and class 58s) and now Dapol.

Others that have commissioned models from China (such as Realtrack and Kernow) have learnt to take great care when approving samples. Firstly the factories have to be visited and monitored. Secondly several iterations of liveried samples may have to be obtained before a model is approved for production. Thirdly, and most importantly, first samples from production runs have to be airfreighted over for final approval. If necessary, production has to be stopped if the first production samples are incorrect. If the models are wrong the whole production run has to be rejected (Bachmann have done this in the past).

This all leads to delays and additional cost but is worth it in the end. Models with incorrect liveries tend not to sell and often end up heavily discounted.

I am afraid that Dapol have no excuses as they have been producing in China for many years and should know the pitfalls only too well.

I would have loved for all of the class 73s to have been right first time and the livery errors prevent me from buying models that I really want. I am able to respray and correct errors but am not willing to do this on a brand new model costing £120 odd.

I will now get off my high horse!

Andrew

Next query : a red buckeye?  The green one illustrated above shows the drop-head rather well but I don't remember the coupler being painted.  Indeed to paint it might be to invite problems as paint can enter moving parts, dry and jam them.  They were always "grease-colour" to my memory though I will admit to not recalling sight of an ex-works 73 in green to be certain.

Some 73s did have red buckeyes: https://flic.kr/p/fasxr9

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Olivias Ltd editions available at hattons for 10 pounds less than Olivias direct according to today's mailing list.

Ooh i might buy one now, not only cheaper but not having to deal with olivias directly is what swings it for me

I bought one of the 73s at the Manchester show last Saturday and the cab lights are both permanently illuminated, I emailed Dapol and they claim this is how they were made to run !!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this ? If anyone has a solution, simple that doesn't involve soldering etc please advise me. I also have the issue with the headcode panel lighting in the opposite direction to travel, I'll try to change this using Dapol's website instructions.

I bought one of the 73s at the Manchester show last Saturday and the cab lights are both permanently illuminated, I emailed Dapol and they claim this is how they were made to run !!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this ? If anyone has a solution, simple that doesn't involve soldering etc please advise me. I also have the issue with the headcode panel lighting in the opposite direction to travel, I'll try to change this using Dapol's website instructions.

Permanently lit cab lights are being found on all models in both DC and DCC (see page 31 of this thread).  There is no solution offered so far, but it normally just involves detaching one wire from the lighting if you're not bothered about cab lights.

There is a useful step-by-step guide here from Olivias about the head lights issue: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/Dapol-class-73-dcc-fix/

(This is a genuine question and I am not trying to stir things up further)

I am thinking of purchasing Olivia's Trains 73207 in Gatwick Express livery in lieu of 73102. The upper bodyside colour again appears to be black on the model photographs. Is this correct for this livery or should it be dark grey?

A trawl of Flickr is inconclusive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gbrailphotos/8025047326/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/10576330254/

Permanently lit cab lights are being found on all models in both DC and DCC (see page 31 of this thread).  There is no solution offered so far, but it normally just involves detaching one wire from the lighting if you're not bothered about cab lights.

There is a useful step-by-step guide here from Olivias about the head lights issue: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/Dapol-class-73-dcc-fix/

Doesn't Bachmann's later Class 47's utilise switches on the underside for this?

Regards,

Matt

Yes and many other models too like class 37 and so on. Early version models didn't but latter revisions did. I think they always could be controlled by DCC but DC required the switches or disconnection.

Pretty poor by Dapol really for a new 2015 model. Expect to see this revised for future releases maybe (at least under DCC)?

Edited by sanspareil

(This is a genuine question and I am not trying to stir things up further)

I am thinking of purchasing Olivia's Trains 73207 in Gatwick Express livery in lieu of 73102. The upper bodyside colour again appears to be black on the model photographs. Is this correct for this livery or should it be dark grey?

A trawl of Flickr is inconclusive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gbrailphotos/8025047326/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/10576330254/

I'd like to suggest that it remained in Intercity dark grey.  If you compare the jumper cables with the livery (1st photo) the cables look darker than the dark grey colour.

Edited by kintbury jon

• RMweb Premium

On the Dapol not being responsible for livery foul ups argument, Dapol are responsible for managing their supply chain and for ensuring that the product they supply to the customer is of an acceptable standard. Model railways are no different to any other industry in that outsourcing is fine as long as you have the capability to write good contracts and manage your supply chain, and the ability to enforce QA. If any of those things are lacking then outsourcing can be a disaster. Whatever the politics and internal blame game Dapol are the responsible party if they supply a model which is the wrong colour. If the factory drop a klanger then it is Dapol's job to manage that or alternatively take it on the chin that they've decided the costs and difficulties associated with the issue mean they'll just supply what they've received from the factory. We seldom see companies pass on the laurels for good products to the manufacturers, if they're happy to take the praise for their factories successes then they can also take the opprobrium when it goes wrong.

Doesn't Bachmann's later Class 47's utilise switches on the underside for this?

Regards,

Matt

Yes, what is more you can switch the cab lights on and off via DCC too, this independently from the main head and tail lights. Speaking of which, the Dapol class 52 will even allow you switch on and off the lights in each individual cab under DCC independently from headlights etc.

So why is the 52 so flexible lighting wise under DCC and the 73 not?

Could it be that the circuit board is designed around a 22 pin chip, which has been poorly adapted for 21 pin? Having done a great job on the western, the 73 has some failings concerning liveries and lighting arrangements it would seem.

Ever since they entered the N gauge market there has been a continuous set of blunders with liveries - early ones included the faulty lining of BR(WR) green 4575s which caused them to pull the whole lot from being released, they flogged them off to club members instead cheaply. Then there was the continual misunderstanding of BR liveries with BR lined green 14xx's being paired with cream crimson autotrailers while BR black ones were paired with maroon ones, the barking idea of releasing Britannias and Halls with grey driving wheels, for ever turning out the SR CCT as a LMR vehicle in maroon but never producing it as a BR(SR) one in crimson, other have mentioned HST etc blunders. Whoever is responsible for liveries really needs an eyesight test ASAP.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Hi Mark, the pictures are too small to get an good view. Does the paint job do the loco justice or does it look toy like as some of the other 73`s do.

If it is a good as it appears i`ll get one. Many Thanks

Jon

yes it does do the loco justice. I thing they have done a good job on the gbrf one.

I had this situation on my Blue Large Logo one when I used a ESU V4.0 non sound chip. When I replaced that with a cheapo gaugemaster 21pin chip, the lights work in the correct fashion!

Brian

We are adopting a Fix on the Legomanbiffo Sound Decoder shortly, we will post on here when these are available!!!!    Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Ok so opening myself up now but here's what I've done with my blue liveried class 73 - this will become 73121 Croydon

984C7744-C772-4DC7-B879-ADC882E657A2_zps

One dull white roof later and I'm quite happy with it - just got plates and renumbering to do now before tackling my exec liveried one ......

• Like 10