Breath in, the MET Line is arriving

brian daniels

I had 41/2 hours to kill at Eastleigh today so went and stood on Campbell Road bridge. All of a sudden I thought I was seeing things as a MET Line coach appeared to be going up the retaining wall. It was a bit tight and unfortunatly the bloke on the rear steering managed to clip the palisade fencing. Just after these went past the works Kof put in an appearance with another LT coach.

post-6766-0-79783900-1334249309.jpg

post-6766-0-54484000-1334249316.jpg

post-6766-0-87399600-1334249322.jpg

post-6766-0-13556700-1334249330.jpg

post-6766-0-25877500-1334249337.jpg

post-6766-0-94142900-1334249343.jpg

post-6766-0-34994300-1334249798.jpg

post-6766-0-95562800-1334249347.jpg

post-6766-0-27754800-1334249352.jpg

post-6766-0-16283700-1334249358.jpg

post-6766-0-60370500-1334249301.jpg

post-6766-0-61203600-1334249401.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Really cool pics, nice to see the first build unit heading to Eastleigh rather than Booths in Rotherham. Is it there for preservation?

Julian Sprott

I would be very interested to know what is going to happen to this stock, too. I do hope it is preserved or even utilised elsewhere ... what are the clearances and loading gauges for the Isle of Wight??? Ducks for cover on that last one!

• RMweb Gold

whether or not he clipped the pallasade fencing thats one impressive bit of driving, especially entrusting it to a hoody!!

been watching these units being loaded for the start of their journey at northwood over the last few months, all being loaded after dark!

The lot that operate the old works recently bought the köf to shunt round the works. I don't know why all the stock is going to Eastleigh? As has been intimated, is it for scrapping?

So, if i understand correctly, they only have one?

• RMweb Premium

Some of the tube size Victoria line stock has also been sent to Eastleigh. The Kof loco came via Hong Kong and is of similar width to the 'A' stock but no higher than tube stock. There was a picture of this loco shunting tube stock on the LTSV site a couple of months ago.

• RMweb Gold

There is no asbestos in the A60/62 stock as it was all taken out when they were refurbished. The unit that is shown is the first in the class (5000 - 6000 - 6001 - 5001) and I assume it has gone there for safe storage. From my contact within LU, most are Rotherham headed.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

There is no asbestos in the A60/62 stock as it was all taken out when they were refurbished. The unit that is shown is the first in the class (5000 - 6000 - 6001 - 5001) and I assume it has gone there for safe storage. From my contact within LU, most are Rotherham headed.

Julian Sprott

Some one is telling you porkies, that unit has already been cut up. The best place for information on the current situation is the District Dave website.

That was the comment when the A60 stock was introduced, replacing the T stock and dreadnoughts!

But the A62s for the Uxbridge branch had more seats than the F and CO/CP stock that they replaced. The S Stock probably has about the same number of seats as the F stock with its longitudinal seating had 90 years earlier, not transverse like the A Stock.

I had heard that there were no plans to retain a set, just a single DM. If a full 4 car set is kept, will it be in its rather tatty reconditioned format, or restored to the as-delivered in 1960s condition? My preference is the 1960s condition as the original design and finish was right. The reconditioned format never seems right to me and looks seedy.

• 5 weeks later...

Only just found this thread, but I think I saw the same train earlier that day. This is it about 0900 that morning on the A412 heading west through Rickmansworth (just passing the end of Church Lane).

post-5840-0-36182300-1337769424.jpg

I was somewhat surprised to say the least and had to quickly pass my phone to my son to take the picture as he was on that side of the car, so not the best quality. Interesting to finally discover where it was going. I grew up in Rickmansworth and often went to London on A60/A62s, and for a couple of years I used them to get to school in Watford, so it is kind of sad to know they are disappearing.

Very disappointed to hear that a full set isn't going to be kept. These are pretty iconic units having run for over fifty years and ought to be preserved. I guess the trouble is the size of a four car unit, let alone an 8 car one, would be difficult to store.

I've got many happy memories of swaying to work in one of these. The new S stock is nice (aircon!) but the lack of seats is an issue. Even getting on at Eastcote at half seven in the morning it is difficult to get a seat, and instead of being able to grab one on the way home by Wembley Park, I'm lucky to get a seat by Harrow now. Ho hum!

• RMweb Premium

Two 4 car units are being 'retained' for engineering purposes together with two converted trailers fitted for de-icing. The locomotive 'Sarah Siddons' was retained for the same use and is now preserved. Its one way of getting it past the bean counters. ;)

There's plenty at Booth's in Rotherham. I occasionally see some on the link to the mainline, e.g. last Saturday while passing in a train towards Sheffield, but a couple of hours later, they'd gone back into the yard. I'm guessing they use that link as a headshunt, rather than taking deliveries by rail, as their little shunter was in the formation, and apparently they arrive by road. Not yet noticed any actually arriving, or even seen any pictures.

Anyway, long shot from last weekend:

post-6971-0-34237700-1337951896.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back in march when i was upat the acton depot, i was talking about moving a vehicle into the depot.

However iwas told it was not gonna happen, cos they were gonna clear stuff out, including the portsmouth unit, to bring a half set of A stock in on that road. This was from the curator at acton, they were getting nervous because they were crammmed with stuff, the A stock, the Q38etc, the standard and the 1938 stock all due in.

But there was also rumours of a sinle car so, who knows!

But i heard he eastleigh ones were there for scrapping as well.

Mark

Archived