Silliest Nameplate on a diesel ?

BR saw the costs of 'steam' plates they'd sold off for very little escalate rapidly. In the 1960s/70s, when 'Peaks' were being named after regiments (commendable in itself, but in an apparently random manner), someone wrote to a railway mag complaining about this, and suggesting that this was being done, at least in part, with an eye on selling the plates off when the locos were withdrawn. As part of the letter, he suggested an appropriate name to be used on one loco -"'Royal Foolish Souvenirs".

• RMweb Premium

So you never got your head around - WR - GWR - GWR green - Castle class 7005 - Malvern Hills - Sir Edward Elgar - .

Education is a wonderful thing.

Yes, but why change the name of a loco that already a perfectly adequate name from an historic sequence of 50? At the time there were plently of unnamed suitable locos that ran on the Western Region.

Kevin Martin

Isn't it named after the Charity...? Not a bad idea IMHO, although it was ironic seeing it and another 47 drag a NoL Eurostar up the ECML one evening about 10 years ago.

The silliest old skool nameplate must have been "Peter Pan" on the perrenial carrier of daft names, 86259, with Hector and Vesta close runners up (we once started a petition to name one "Stagg Chilli"). As for some of the newer bunch, well.....

Peter Pan?

gallery_6737_737_97674.jpg

I'm not doubting the good intentions of the charity, if it is one - but more the suitability/heritage of names.

It seems we are slowly turning full circle with some of the football club names on GBRf 66s - much more traditional.

I used to like the RES 47s with 'RES' starting names.Can't beat the poineers/mountains on class 60s either.Although they went downhill with 'commercial'namings, fortunately we didn't see a "Calvert waste site - stinky hole "

I think the mountains looked better on the class 44's. :sungum:

The Voyager named "Doctor Who" got it the wrong way round - it was a lot smaller inside than outside.

But it always managed time travel quite effectively - we'd approach Birmingham 10 minutes early and leave it 10 minutes late.

Somewhere I've a photo of the 47 named Robin Hood with "and his merry men" written in the dirt underneath, à la white van "clean me".

Captain Sensible always seemed a strange name to me. I never understood what he had achieved to warrant the naming.

Adrian (Parcell) is a fan of punk rock, and hence the Captain, along with Joe Strummer and John Peel were commemorated by loco namings. Of course when it comes to music, that is very much down to personal preference, but having had the pleasure of giving Captain, Stu West and friends a tour of the NRM a few years ago, I'd say what an absolute gentleman he is. Incidentally, he writes music sitting overlooking the Teignmouth sea wall watching the passing traffic, and acquired his abiding affection for Class 50s there. He also founded his own record label, in the early nineties: 'Deltic Records.'

I'm not doubting the good intentions of the charity, if it [Victim Support] is one - but more the suitability/heritage of names.

It seems we are slowly turning full circle with some of the football club names on GBRf 66s - much more traditional.

At the risk of seeming to be suffering a sense of humour failure,Victim Support most certainly is a charity and one which does very useful work aiding the victims of crime:

http://www.victimsupport.org.uk/

It could be argued that this is merely part of another - and rather honourable - railway tradition, that of supporting and publicising worthy causes, railway related or not. In my view, rather more worthy than any sports team. I mean, Somerset County Cricket Club would sound odd, wouldn't it?

Adam

I mean, Somerset County Cricket Club would sound odd, wouldn't it?

Adam

"Leicestershire County Cricket Club" didn't sound or seem odd to me when plying it's trade on the MML passing through Leicestershire regularly, and it seems infinitely preferable to travesties of names such as "La Farge Buddon Wood" or their other named locomotives "celebrating" the spreading of bits of Leicestershire all over the country.

• RMweb Gold

Naming of locos - or other vehicles - does have a proud and honorable heritage, and of course names came before numbers. Rocket and Velocipide etc were named long before Ian Allan started their ABCs! It could be said that the GWR did rather well with those C19 singles - Atalanta, Fire Queen etc - but then chose an odd theme in naming so many of their C20 locos after piles of masonry, specifically designed never to move at all. The LNER's nod to the Sport of Kings, on the other hand, made great sense if you understood the origin of Robert the Devil or Hermit, less so if you did not - vide Watling Street or Bachelor's Button. The Deltic follow-on seemed very sensible. [A student teacher in my school took the afternoon off to watch St Paddy win the Derby in 1960.]

Aviation has long applied names to those things we trust for longer journeys. I think PanAm had a history of naming all its planes Clipper Somethingorother - how about Clipper Young America, one of its earliest 747s? And was it SAS that named its first 747 Huge Viking?

In the later years of BR, there was an increasing need to publicise the industry, and naming locos after implausible people, places, events and concepts took off as a means of garnering media attention. The expression "it seemed a good idea at the time" probably covers some of those under review in this thread.

I always thought that 'The Hundred of Hoo' was quite strange on 60042.

I understand the Hoo bit (I think, Hoo Junction ?) but whats the Hundred bit all about ?

As a young spotter I K B and The Commonwealth Spirit seemed a tad special as did the 47/7s from Scotland, although didn't see many of those in Wigan.

• RMweb Premium

'Doreen Scanlon, Mum in a Million 1997' as carried by Wessex Electric 2417 - to this day there are those that still refer to the now denamed 442417 (to give it its Gatwick Express full fat number that it has now) as 'Doreen'.

Somebody did suggest we name our Coastway 313's after female members of Southern staff in the same manner as GBRf do with their 73's. Never got past the racous laughter stage...

Archived