ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

This was all agreed long ago. Having our own packaging made would have pushed the price much higher. It's a standard Bachmann box with our own branding added. (CJL)

Its the same box arrangement that Modelzone commissions had. At least it should preclude in years to come it being described as a Dapol model by someone researching its history and getting mixed up over who actually produced it.

Its the same box arrangement that Modelzone commissions had. At least it should preclude in years to come it being described as a Dapol model by someone researching its history and getting mixed up over who actually produced it.

Any danger of confusion with dock tanks from Dapol would seem to be many years in the future .......... ? .........................

Any danger of confusion with dock tanks from Dapol would seem to be many years in the future .......... ? .........................

The confusion would be because originally the USA tanks were to be produced by Dapol.

The confusion would be because originally the USA tanks were to be produced by Dapol.

Oooooh I do wish people wouldn't keep posting pictures of their loverley Yankee Tanks on here .......... I'm know mine's in that last box that Kernow will get round to opening when they get back after the Bank Holiday ( they do have a Bank Holiday in Cornwall, don't they ? ) it WILL turn up eventually  -  sure it will !!!

• Like 1

Oooooh I do wish people wouldn't keep posting pictures of their loverley Yankee Tanks on here .......... I'm know mine's in that last box that Kernow will get round to opening when they get back after the Bank Holiday ( they do have a Bank Holiday in Cornwall, don't they ? ) it WILL turn up eventually  -  sure it will !!!

Same here. I'm waiting for a Worth Valley one, which doesn't seem  to get mentioned much. Unpopular maybe?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Me too, I had to cut my finger nails after they became embedded in my desk.

Oooooh I do wish people wouldn't keep posting pictures of their loverley Yankee Tanks on here .......... I'm know mine's in that last box that Kernow will get round to opening when they get back after the Bank Holiday ( they do have a Bank Holiday in Cornwall, don't they ? ) it WILL turn up eventually  -  sure it will !!! :O ;) :D

Sorry, but it just has to be done! :O ;) :D

Arrived on Tuesday, haven't had time to run it yet, but it will look good in the display cabinet for a while as well: -

post-3433-0-43518800-1472209441_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Waiting for my 72 to arrive , haven't received an email yet though! thanks for the photos of yours ..she looks lovely. Although its making me even more impatient for mine to arrive :jester:

Edited by BurnleyModeller

Received mine this morning so 30064 is where it's supposed to be in 4mm scale, sadly won't be on the layout till mid September, but very impressive model and can only echo what others have said, I gave it a quick run before I went out one of the smoothest, quiet running models I have had straight out the box, rather remarkable, well done Model Rail and Bachmann for this well modelled prototype and finally getting to the end of this long wait.

• Like 2

Following my review of the all new Model Rail Exclusive - Bachmann MR-103 USA 0-6-0T Tank, in smart BR Early Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a short goods train.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling rake of 6 mixed BR Wagons, plus Ex SR Pill Box Brake Van with ease, whilst running smoothly and silently at the same time. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0yOS2__ro

• Like 4

I will annoy some by noting I only ordered 72 at the beginning of August -  I did not order at the start because I was unconvinced that Dapol would actually come up with a decent model - you only have to look at Gaugemasters Pullman 73s to realise how Dapol could have blundered (as they always seem to do IMO)  with the livery details of 72 - quite likely the lettering and numbers would be the wrong font and/or spacing and the numbers shaded incorrectly. I waited to the final mock ups of Bachmanns model and then considered  it for some time before ordering as the lining out on the last illustrated pre production 72 was a bit iffy which thankfully does not seem to have been translated into the production models.

The model represents 72 for a short period only as it quickly fitted with an enlarged bunker. I looked hopefully at the detail parts in case a bunker extension piece was provided, maybe one for one of the detail bits makers to come up with.

I will annoy some by noting I only ordered 72 at the beginning of August -  I did not order at the start because I was unconvinced that Dapol would actually come up with a decent model - you only have to look at Gaugemasters Pullman 73s to realise how Dapol could have blundered (as they always seem to do IMO)  with the livery details of 72 - quite likely the lettering and numbers would be the wrong font and/or spacing and the numbers shaded incorrectly. I waited to the final mock ups of Bachmanns model and then considered  it for some time before ordering as the lining out on the last illustrated pre production 72 was a bit iffy which thankfully does not seem to have been translated into the production models.

The model represents 72 for a short period only as it quickly fitted with an enlarged bunker. I looked hopefully at the detail parts in case a bunker extension piece was provided, maybe one for one of the detail bits makers to come up with.

Much depends on the attention paid to the livery samples by the commissioning organisation. There can be three grades of 'issue' - Things you don't notice. Things you decide to ignore. Things you decide to change. ALL three are dependent entirely on the person inspecting the model on behalf of the commissioning organisation. In short, you can't blame the manufacturer if you fail to spot something that's wrong. The buck stops right there. However, one has a very efficient safety net with Bachmann because their own designers inspect the livery samples and they are absolute sticklers for getting things 'spot-on'. Alignments, positioning, all manner of tiny details that we might miss are picked up by them. I recall a diesel - a Class 37, I think, where there were 43 tweaks made after the livery sample. We asked for three of them! In the case of the 'USAs' we changed the colour on  one of the green ones, after much discussion and much consultation of pictures. Such is the peculiarity of colours in miniature that I'm not sure we ever all agreed on it. One of the hazards of changing the base colour is that you generally see only a sprayed body (if you see any re-proof at all) and you don't see how the revised colour looks with all the decoration on it. That can affect it quite considerably, so a late colour change can be a bit of a gamble. In the case of the KWVR model I felt that the ochre looked a little too dark compared to photos (and the Railway Children movie) but it was decided that it was more important that it matches Bachmann's 'Railway Children' 57XX, so we didn't risk changing it. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

In the case of the KWVR model I felt that the ochre looked a little too dark compared to photos (and the Railway Children movie) but it was decided that it was more important that it matches Bachmann's 'Railway Children' 57XX, so we didn't risk changing it. (CJL)

I would not have realised that - do not have the 57xx but the USA tank looks right whereas the 57xx always looks a bit too dark. Might be the softening effect of the cream lettering and lining.

I have recently arrived home from work after doing a few hours overtime on the old Carlsberg, to find MR -104 USA Class 0-6-0 30064 BR Lined Green Late Crest had arrived, what a wonderful model, I'm delighted with it, congratulations to Model Rail is I believe in order, now looking forward to MR - 109 dropping through the letter box.

• Like 1