ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

Didn't expect them to be finished and on the ship half way through the month - but, to my mind, "manufactured in June" means that there should be progress to report by now.

I would expect all the moulds to be ready and the CNC machines fully programmed already so "manufacture" commences when the button - sorry - keypad is pressed ......... and all the bits will be spewed out within a couple of days. THEN the slower processes will commence ( painting / assembly / testing ) - but, with the relatively small volumes involved, it SHOULD be possible to complete within a month if sufficient resources are put into it !

............ I only asked whether there was any news from the factory !

Indeed I want the factory to stop what they are doing and provide fully detailed progress reports every hour translated into perfect English containing accurate figures such as how many hand rail knobs have been fitted to hand rails so far. These figures should be double checked before people start working again so that there are no report errors. I don,t want to find out later that the whole project was delayed one minute because someone miss counted a knob. To avoid delay, the whole Kader factory so focus only on these models and correctly auditing each one.

We really must know if we are nearly there yet.

Isn't it fair to expect production reports when the manufacturers choose to announce their goods in advance  -  most non-model-railway products are only advertised when they're actually available on the shelves but this industry doesn't seem to work like that !

{ You'll note that I refrained from saying THREE AND A HALF YEARS in advance ! - er, until now .... oops.)

If you haven't twigged that the only reason that manufacturers announce their (eventually) forthcoming products is to discourage duplication, you must be on your own.

The best policy is to note the announcement; decide not to buy the kit for the same subject, (or sell the kit you already have on Ebay); place a pre-order; save up twice what the initially quoted price is; and then forget about it until your chosen retailer informs you, at some point in the mists of future time, that your credit card details have expired.

Whether you're still interested in the model in question is debateable - as is whether you're still extant !!

Better to get on with life; the surprise that the model actually got produced will be a bonus!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've just been sorting ,500 model railway wagon and van kits, the wagon has just been announced by Bachmann, I should have pre announced that one day I'll finish getting these kits together.

OK John,

My humour on the subject didn’t work for you, lets try this.

If a person places a pre order over a period of years then it is perfectly reasonable to expect regular updates in return since individuals have commited to purchasing the items and thus without them the loco would not even exist. No one is askng for daily,weekly updates, some of us just want a little info. A couple of locos will cost over 200 quid and the closer it gets to completion then I for one would like to know roughly the delivery date in order since it has to fit in with the monthly budget, its not a lot to ask.

I would also love to see pics of the tooling, the painting process, boxing etc. (Hornby's engine shed is good in this respect) In the model aircraft world though this is commonplace and adds so much to the hobby, if you don’t want that then fine, but please understand you’ve got the premise of ‘have enough going on in our lives’ the wrong way round ! Because of busy lives, and having a life some of us would like the information because it really helps.

Cheerio

Clive

• Like 2

OK John,

My humour on the subject didn’t work for you, lets try this.

If a person places a pre order over a period of years then it is perfectly reasonable to expect regular updates in return since individuals have commited to purchasing the items and thus without them the loco would not even exist. No one is askng for daily,weekly updates, some of us just want a little info. A couple of locos will cost over 200 quid and the closer it gets to completion then I for one would like to know roughly the delivery date in order since it has to fit in with the monthly budget, its not a lot to ask.

I would also love to see pics of the tooling, the painting process, boxing etc. (Hornby's engine shed is good in this respect) In the model aircraft world though this is commonplace and adds so much to the hobby, if you don’t want that then fine, but please understand you’ve got the premise of ‘have enough going on in our lives’ the wrong way round ! Because of busy lives, and having a life some of us would like the information because it really helps.

Cheerio

Clive

Hi Clive,

I understand, but on the other side, Bachmann do provide high level updates such as "being researched", "in the drawing room", "In production", "on there way" and so on. These are shown every quarter in the club magazine and even make it on here. There is little point doing more as these are not fast track projects. There are so many factors which enter that predicting which quarter something will appear is already a challenge, let alone which month even towards the end.

Below those high level terms is an awful lot of detail. I think it would be unreasonable for them to start saying "production tools set up", "BR batch being assembled" etc..

However  do know from the Kernow O2, that the production process can last from 1 to 3 months depending on numbers, variants etc.

Even once shipped, it has to go through customs, this can be quick (1 day) or very slow (a few weeks). This is one of several things that Bachmann cannot control so overall fixing an exact date of when it will be actually on my layout is impossible.

Given all the factors, having slightly more progress detail for us to analyze and anticipate delivery is all a rather futile and pointless exercise, that I feel will only lead to more disappointment. The best estimate from anyone will be a certain month, give or take 1 or 2 months either side.

Now that they are in production, we know there is a high probability that we will have them within the next 3 months. So the best advice really is to set aside a budget now. I have 3 of these on order which means I am not dipping into the Hornby Bargains right now which I would have indulged in if there was little or nothing else on the horizon. I know that these, the LSWR coaches and the radials are going to be here by the end of this year (there might be a Kernow thing to consider on Friday too).

Rgds John

• Like 2

Hi Clive,

I understand, but on the other side, Bachmann do provide high level updates such as "being researched", "in the drawing room", "In production", "on there way" and so on. These are shown every quarter in the club magazine and even make it on here. There is little point doing more as these are not fast track projects. There are so many factors which enter that predicting which quarter something will appear is already a challenge, let alone which month even towards the end.

Below those high level terms is an awful lot of detail. I think it would be unreasonable for them to start saying "production tools set up", "BR batch being assembled" etc..

However  do know from the Kernow O2, that the production process can last from 1 to 3 months depending on numbers, variants etc.

Even once shipped, it has to go through customs, this can be quick (1 day) or very slow (a few weeks). This is one of several things that Bachmann cannot control so overall fixing an exact date of when it will be actually on my layout is impossible.

Given all the factors, having slightly more progress detail for us to analyze and anticipate delivery is all a rather futile and pointless exercise, that I feel will only lead to more disappointment. The best estimate from anyone will be a certain month, give or take 1 or 2 months either side.

Now that they are in production, we know there is a high probability that we will have them within the next 3 months. So the best advice really is to set aside a budget now. I have 3 of these on order which means I am not dipping into the Hornby Bargains right now which I would have indulged in if there was little or nothing else on the horizon. I know that these, the LSWR coaches and the radials are going to be here by the end of this year (there might be a Kernow thing to consider on Friday too).

Rgds John

"In Production" is exactly the sort of report I was hoping for - no more detail's necessary, just confirmation that something's actually happening  ....... so where did you get that valuable info from ? - did I miss a reply to my original question ?

Obviously different companies have different approaches and this can even vary from model to model from the same company and this would be the case for the USA tanks.

Bachmann supply regular quarterly updates to say where a model is in the process and they make this available by the Collectors Club Magazine and to the press. These updates have included the USA tank although, as a Model Rail commission, it is their baby to communicate information or progress on as appropriate. Chris Leigh has been providing information here and updates also appear on Model Rail's Facebook page.

Obviously different companies have different approaches and this can even vary from model to model from the same company and this would be the case for the USA tanks.

Bachmann supply regular quarterly updates to say where a model is in the process and they make this available by the Collectors Club Magazine and to the press. These updates have included the USA tank although, as a Model Rail commission, it is their baby to communicate information or progress on as appropriate. Chris Leigh has been providing information here and updates also appear on Model Rail's Facebook page.

I have nothing to report at present. I expect the next report to be the announcement that they've started arriving at Kernow MRC. Manufacturing was scheduled to take place this month (June) according to the most recent information I have, and on that basis it will still be several more weeks before they arrive. (CJL). 

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen a post on the ModelRail Facebook page;

It reads;

''ARRIVED THIS MORNING! Shipping sample of Model Rail's exclusive 'USA' 0-6-0T. We will notify you of further details as and when we have them. Watch this space.''

Along with a pic of the weathered sample 30071 in box

Seems they are hear or at least on the way!  :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

If that is the weathered version in the post above, you are teasing us! As I recall George Dent weathered a model of the USA 0-6-0T, and that was sent off to China for the production people to replicate. I guess a number of us would like to see how that has worked out. So some photos of the weathered version in reasonable light, please, so we see the effect. Please!

John

We've received a 'shipping sample' of the USA 0-6-0T. That's the equivalent of a review sample in that it is from the production batch but sent by air while the rest of the batch go in a container by sea. (CJL)

Thanks for the info, so still a few weeks to save up for them then  :jester: . Is it just the one livery sample or one of each? 

If that is the weathered version in the post above, you are teasing us! As I recall George Dent weathered a model of the USA 0-6-0T, and that was sent off to China for the production people to replicate. I guess a number of us would like to see how that has worked out. So some photos of the weathered version in reasonable light, please, so we see the effect. Please!

John

Sorry, I don't have access to the model at present - I'm at home and it's not. I was just given a quick snap of it. Doubtless it will find its way to the photographic studio in due course. (CJL)

Sorry, I don't have access to the model at present - I'm at home and it's not. I was just given a quick snap of it. Doubtless it will find its way to the photographic studio in due course. (CJL)

Next weeks almost done now ........ did the two samples manage to hatch out of their boxes and make their way to the studio ?

Next weeks almost done now ........ did the two samples manage to hatch out of their boxes and make their way to the studio ?

I gave one a run out on our new test track on second radius curves with 12 coaches behind it, and I've fitted some of the extra details, but we don't have studio time booked until later - probably next week. As soon as we have pictures, we'll post them. (CJL)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Is there still time to request another livery? From image on ebay here.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a feeling it's 30071 that's the weathered version....but George didn't do it like that!! At least they got the arrow of indecision correct but I wonder what U.P.R was - or am I missing something obvious? I think we have a slot in the studio this week so maybe the weathered sample will get photographed then. (CJL) 

I have a feeling it's 30071 that's the weathered version....but George didn't do it like that!! At least they got the arrow of indecision correct but I wonder what U.P.R was - or am I missing something obvious? I think we have a slot in the studio this week so maybe the weathered sample will get photographed then. (CJL) 

U.P.R. = Union Pacific Railroad; USA class - get it?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Perhaps the correctly drawn BR symbol spoils it somehow! Most wags would have done it deliberately reversed - Sealink style.

As an aside I recommend having a look through the slides that this ebay user sells. You can check back through past purchases where there are some wonderful images in the collection. I have a feeling that many of the ones I've found most interesting [taken around Sussex in the early 50s] were taken by Peter Hay whose images have appeared in various prototype mags over the years. Its my hope than many of these images will crop up in future publications or online somewhere. If you can be bothered search through the previous sales list.