ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

Perhaps the correctly drawn BR symbol spoils it somehow! Most wags would have done it deliberately reversed - Sealink style.

As an aside I recommend having a look through the slides that this ebay user sells. You can check back through past purchases where there are some wonderful images in the collection. I have a feeling that many of the ones I've found most interesting [taken around Sussex in the early 50s] were taken by Peter Hay whose images have appeared in various prototype mags over the years. Its my hope than many of these images will crop up in future publications or online somewhere. If you can be bothered search through the previous sales list.

Maybe the Arrow of Indecision WAS correctly drawn reversed on the other tank - as it should be, Sealink style ? ( We're talking about a loco that spent much of its time in the docks after all.) .................. though I'm not too sure I'd use the term 'correct' anyway : it looks a little impressionistic to me - with a touch of the naive ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt find it on the Kernow site.

Please note that details and a link to the website are under the Model Rail heading in the media section. To avoid having to monitor two threads I'm updating the Model Rail thread but not this one. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That USTC looks good, it's the one I ordered, so long ago they've just sent me a letter asking me to update them on my current credit card. For which I'm grateful and for the fact they didn't pre charge the card as some companies might.

IIRC I'll have to  change the number, remove that symbol on the side tanks and then do some weathering to match the photo of the Loco on the station I'm modelling. Now which book was that Photo in.....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

It's a neat little unit. Everytime I see one of these models there is an insistent thought that two of the mechanisms would make a very impressive basis for Mr Riddles 2-6-6-4 Mallet (simple) with water-tube boiler (not so simple) in cab forward oil fuelled configuration (getting complicated) capable of hauling train weights that could not be operated on BR (inexplicable).

In wartime, the object is to make things less visible not more...

Or perhaps what with the Americans being rationalists they had realised that red bufferbeams made not the slightest diffference to visibility? We might consider that the expressiest of UK steam express locos, and some early examples of the runner up, didn't have red front bufferbeams either.

• Like 1

Just a thought ........... did nobody tell the Americans that buffer beams are supposed to be painted ( bufferbeam ) red ??!?

They wouldn't have known what a buffer beam was! It's a front pilot and would automatically be painted black - or left as bare timber if that was how it started. (CJL)

They wouldn't have known what a buffer beam was! It's a front pilot and would automatically be painted black - or left as bare timber if that was how it started. (CJL)

They might not have known what a buffer beam was but one seems to have miraculously appeared on each end of the loco ............. complete with buffers - which would definitely have been foreign to them until someone sent them a spec. ( Probably sent them a fax and the colour sample came out black ....................... yes, I've seen it done ! )

For the younger members of our audience, I'd better explain that 'fax' is short for Facsimile Transmission and is what we old timers used to send eachother before e-mails were invented .......... a step up from Telex, really !

Edited by Wickham Green

They might not have known what a buffer beam was but one seems to have miraculously appeared on each end of the loco ............. complete with buffers - which would definitely have been foreign to them until someone sent them a spec. ( Probably sent them a fax and the colour sample came out black ....................... yes, I've seen it done ! )

Our research indicated that they were black in USATC condition. These were, after all, American-owned and operated locomotives, so any spec would have come from the US, not Britain. (CJL)

Our research indicated that they were black in USATC condition. These were, after all, American-owned and operated locomotives, so any spec would have come from the US, not Britain. (CJL)

Apart from the spec that said they need to be to European loading gauge and have European style coupling / buffing gear ............ er - and they normally paint the latter red on that side of the 'pond'.

Everything being done in a great hurry, with a murderous war being fought on multiple fronts. I think we can forgive a slight lack of attention to detail.

Its a little off topic, but a Riddles Mallet? I've never heard of such a beast...

Certainly was off-topic, but you have now; although it is strictly fictional in the great tradition of the model railway pipe dream.

• RMweb Premium

Just phoned Kernow with the credit card details, they say the USTC will be on its way within a couple of days... Yippee.

American S100s had cowcatchers and buckeyes.

Not Buffers

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/11424

That said american steam locos only seemed to have 3 colours... Silver, Black and white for the letters :-)

That should probably be "colors" ? ................... allegedly something to do with Henry Ford  .................. ! ..................................

• RMweb Premium

American S100s had cowcatchers and buckeyes.

Not Buffers

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/11424

That said american steam locos only seemed to have 3 colours... Silver, Black and white for the letters :-)

The Pennsylvania RR had maroon and gold and I'm sure I've seen an American steam passenger locomotive in green and yellow.