ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Are any of these suitable for an 80s era?

Maybe going with the TC US Army for my 30s layout ?

Regards

Scott

1980's UK / Western Europe would be for any preserved layout, though OO would only be for a UK layout, for South Eastern Europe they still are in industrial service in Bosnia, even today. Several are preserved in the US also, with Granite Stone 10 recently overhauled in Sacramento.

For 1930's, unfortunately not, this is a child of war.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks although not sure I understand the first part of your answer. 

Not sure why I said 1930s  :scratchhead: I am not that time line specific! Anything from the Big 4 days. 

I wasnt sure if you were modelling UK, Europe or US (or even North Africa) :-)

The S100 (USA) class has a quite few different passport stamps :-): UK, France, Greece, Netherlands, Egypt, Palestine, Iraq, Croatia, Slovenia Bosnia, Italy, Morocco, Tunisia, Balkans, China, USA.. if you happen to be close to various steel works near Tuzla in Bosnia... you might even find a few in steam shunting daily now. There is also a close-ish relative to the class in Poland (Tkh class industrial shunters).  There's approx 25% of the fleet still in existence worldwide.

This is a pretty good list, but there's one or two more yet to be added.

http://www.project62.supanet.com/locolocation.htm

However in the UK... in the Big 4 era...

if your into Southern or GWR region post c1942 then USATC  - catalog number MR-101,

From post war 1947 then Southern livered - MR-102

NCB / LMR would fit post war, non-Mainline use. - MR-105 & MR-107

of course it's your layout.. so anything you chose can go... MR-108 could always be an industrial :-)

MR101 / 5 & 7 use the tooling that represents the class "as built" in the US with small coal bunker, flimsy steps and less cab visibility (circular windows and non-glass windows on the sides), MR102 uses the rebuilt cab with square glass windows, larger coal capacity amongst other differences.

Finally tested mine today... it's got some good strength for haulage and runs a treat, going to be planning a 10 coach double headed railtour with them running bunker to bunker soon :-)

Edited by adb968008

One of the differences in my two above..(post 565) . Is the whistle... 2 different types..

Such a subtle small detail..., hardly noticeable but still replicated.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The detail differences i observed are:

1. Different whistle

2. Different safety valves

3. Looks like a sanding cap, next to the water tank hatch on the left side tank on '67

4. Extra pipe work between the two domes on '67

5. Extra pipe work below the cab on both sides (x2)

6. Step vs platform on both sides covering the smokebox steam pipes (x2)

7. Grab Handles vs vertical pipes on the tanks (x2)

Looking at 30064 vs DS237 there's differences in paint finish around the buffer beams and the safety valves.

(although I haven't bought it, the USATC version is completely different, with a different cab, bunker, steps etc).. That is also used on the LMR and NCB versions also)..

The 'sanding cap' certainly isn't 'cos the sand was in those two 'spare' domes atop the boiler ....... not clear what it is from the photos but I'd gess it was water for treatment briquettes ( B.R. system by that date ).

Looks like the original whistles lasted well into B.R. days - very roughly to the 'cycling lion' change.

The S100 (USA) class has a quite few different passport stamps :-): UK, France, Greece, Netherlands, Egypt, Palestine, Iraq, Croatia, Slovenia Bosnia, Italy, Morocco, Tunisia, Balkans, China, USA.. if you happen to be close to various steel works near Tuzla in Bosnia... you might even find a few in steam shunting daily now. There is also a close-ish relative to the class in Poland (Tkh class industrial shunters).  There's approx 25% of the fleet still in existence worldwide.

This is a pretty good list, but there's one or two more yet to be added.

http://www.project62.supanet.com/locolocation.htm

However in the UK... in the Big 4 era...

if your into Southern or GWR region post c1942 then USATC  - catalog number MR-101,

From post war 1947 then Southern livered - MR-102

NCB / LMR would fit post war, non-Mainline use. - MR-105 & MR-107

of course it's your layout.. so anything you chose can go... MR-108 could always be an industrial :-)

MR101 / 5 & 7 use the tooling that represents the class "as built" in the US with small coal bunker, flimsy steps and less cab visibility (circular windows and non-glass windows on the sides), MR102 uses the rebuilt cab with square glass windows, larger coal capacity amongst other differences.

Finally tested mine today... it's got some good strength for haulage and runs a treat, going to be planning a 10 coach double headed railtour with them running bunker to bunker soon :-)

Thanks for the info. 

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but can anyone enlighten me as to the reasoning behind the buffer beam drop plate set up on the USA Tank locos.

How many locos had them fitted and under what circumstances would they be found in the upright  / horizontal position.

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but can anyone enlighten me as to the reasoning behind the buffer beam drop plate set up on the USA Tank locos.

How many locos had them fitted and under what circumstances would they be found in the upright  / horizontal position.

All the Southern locos ( only ) received these in order to simplify access for removing smokebox char ......... they'd always be horiziontal when clearing the 'box, of course, and SHOULD have been hitched up out of the way at other times ....... but ........................

• RMweb Gold

For comparison, a Polish tkh photographed at Zagan a couple of weeks ago.

post-16170-0-63350200-1474969207.png

post-16170-0-06344400-1474969211.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is that actually 'in service' or is it part of the 'heritage' set up. OT I've just learnt that Zagan is where Stalag L III was (Great Escape fame).

thanks Trofi.

Phil

It's heritage, but I'm not sure under whose auspices.

It was giving rides within yard limits when we came through on a Turkol steam special with Wolsztyn's OL49-59, and did a parallel run for some distance as we departed.

Alan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that actually 'in service' or is it part of the 'heritage' set up. OT I've just learnt that Zagan is where Stalag L III was (Great Escape fame).

thanks Trofi.

Phil

Zagan is the location of Stalag L3, it's a tourist spot, you can view the tunnel's locations / routes.

AFAIK there is no longer any working steam in Poland (all including Wolsztyn) is now for tourists.

Working 'freight' steam is now Bosnia in Europe - the s100s and a few BR52s, or fireless locomotives in eastern parts of Germany.

Plenty of preserved steam in various countries across europe however.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

For comparison, a Polish tkh photographed at Zagan a couple of weeks ago.

attachicon.giftkh1.png

attachicon.giftkh2.png

I really don't see why the tkh is regarded as a descendent or in any way a relation of the S100. Aside from the outside valve gear, sloping tank tops, and wheel arrangement, there is no similarity. Wheels are much smaller, drive is on the middle axle, fewer domes, smaller profile. Unlike the  Class 62 which are similar (but not enough that they look convincing in BR livery IMHO). Can someone elighten me?

• RMweb Gold

I really don't see why the tkh is regarded as a descendent or in any way a relation of the S100. Aside from the outside valve gear, sloping tank tops, and wheel arrangement, there is no similarity. Wheels are much smaller, drive is on the middle axle, fewer domes, smaller profile. Unlike the Class 62 which are similar (but not enough that they look convincing in BR livery IMHO). Can someone elighten me?

More to do with post war communism with its causation of plagerism... the TU 144 isn't a direct descendant of Concorde, but the inspiration is clear enough.

The Polonez car even looks like it was influenced by the Lada, so it's not just east vs west.

Any visit to Eastern Europe before the turn of the century would often get head scratches by western europes looking at "copies" of western products... i'all never forget my first ride in a soviet "merc" with buttons that did nothing, that was dented just by leaning on it,felt like a tin can and certainly lacked in performance.

Blueprints maybe unique but inspiration doesn't have to be.

The Tkh was by all means a very successful export for much the same purpose as the s100, TKh first appeared in 1948, the s100 is from 1941, doubtless the s100 did make it to Poland during the war, but it was the s160 that PKP purchased enmass from the USATC and ran them till the 1970s, but crucially the continent was awash with 2-8-0 and 2-10-0's, (5000 BR 52, 2100 s160, 2000 BR44, 3000 BR50) = approx 12k !!! , there was only 380 s100's + the JZ examples, and nearly 500 tkh, whilst a Jinty made it to Poland it's doubtful a J94 did... invaded countries didn't see many 0-6-0s from the invaders or the liberators, doubtless a factor why both classes Tkh and s100 had such long lives across the continent.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Heads up folks - MR-104 30064 limited number available due to cancellations so if you want one be quick!

I know its greedy to get another... but...

I couldn't resist the chance to do a renumber so that's another one ordered for me.

Seems a few ordered via Facebook too so think this is your last chance to get a lined green one !

Here's the link..

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/37895/MR-104-MR-Bachmann-USA-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-number-30064

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for my lined green 30064. At my last check on Kernow's website newsletter, they still had well over 200 to process, so I shouldn't panic. I did email them before the shipments arrived to check my order currency and also make sure my MR subscriber number was on record, and they assured me all was in order, so I have been resisting the urge to phone or email again. I really don't want to miss out on this one, but I also don't want ot duplicate the order by jumping in and ordering another one ... mind you, judging by the popularity of this particular model, I could make a killing on eBay later by selling the duplicate (if I wasn't quite as moral and ethical!).  :)

Getting jealous of those who have received theirs. but I would like to say thanks to all who have posted the photos of their models to whet our appetites.

• RMweb Gold

I did a little researching today on the green ones, From what I've seen, 6 have carried green, 4 in service and 2 in preservation.

I don't know if anyone else can confirm this ? - i'm going off online research today.

The list as I see it is:

30064 - as modeled

30073 - has a different bunker to 64

The difference is clear here..

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-6FQmg7D/A

And here

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-d-salmon-30073-72-eastleighhR.jpg

DS237 - as modelled

DS238 - as modelled by DS237

30072 - BR green in preservation

30075 - this is an imported s100 (class 62 from the Balkans).

30072 is interesting as it appears to have had two different bunker modifications in preservation.

On the opening train it looked like as modelled

http://kwvr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/41241-6806292-RD1.jpg

1st, but later with an extended coal space to the bunker in preservation (it appears to have entered preservation in BR Black, then a "square stack" shaped extension added to the bunker between the glasses, as 72 Worth Valley with bell.

http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=13826062363&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2Fkeighleyworthvalley%252Csteam%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3Dkeighleyworthvalley%252Csteam%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic13826062363&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/90134546@N00/13826062363

Then later a rectangular bunker added extending beyond the buffer beam going straight up (as opposed to the curving bunker), it has appeared in BR green and Worth Valley orange in this appearance.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Riverside_workshops_-_Worth_Valley_72.JPG

DS238 at the kesr has acquired a chunky bunker !

https://locoyard.com/2013/06/11/kent-and-east-sussex-railway-scans-from-the-1990s/1997-kent-east-sussex-railway-tenterden-16xx-1638-usa-dock-tank-ds238-wainwright/

And it's original, as modelled..

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/404626/PL

30075 is very similar (but with an extension similar to 30072 was) at the back to 30064, but the steam pipes from the smoke box are very different(they are angled differently and enter the cylinders vertically with a bend, which means there's no room for the platform step, so it has an angled set of ladder steps from the frames to the bunker on each side). The ladders have been removed during its preserved era and so a quite accurate rendition of he originals is very possible, but additionally the bunker has also been extended in a style similar to 30073 !!! A lot of mods for its first runs in preservation.

(Scroll along the images to see it in green with and without ladders, and before and after bunker mods).. the. Different steam pipe shape makes it stand out from all the UK ones).

http://www.eastsomersetrailway.com/gallery.php?gid=37

Apparently 30075 was built in 1962, making it one of the youngest steam locomotives in the U.K. :-)

I got the text message that my second 30064 ordered today is on its way for delivery tomorrow, so I'll decide by weekend which number to go for, I'm thinking as 30073 to be consistent with 64, but recognise that it's missing an "angle" in its bunker (a variation not modelled), or as 30072 in its preserved guise, but again recognising the rectangular shaped bunker unique to it.

I don't know if anyone knows differently, but it looks like 30064 is unique in its appearance / BR number modelled.

Finally I noted the window on the right side of the bunker is larger than that of the left, this appears to be an SR modification, as the original windows from the US were small and round. This has been captured on the Bachmann model, but does anyone know why this was done ? I can't think of any other class with this mod ? (It has since been removed in preservation on 30072 and DS238).

Edited by adb968008

Whoah !!! Quote ' I got the text message that my second 30064 ordered today is on its way for delivery tomorrow' !!!!!

So you can go on line and order a 30064 and get it dispatched the next day, but if you have one on order for the last three years your still stuck waiting for kernow to extract their digit with a weekly update saying don't phone blah blah some 6 weeks after they took delivery of MR103 and MR104 ! That's wrong on so many levels, so pre order means nothing then ! And yes I know these are cancelled orders but really they should have cleared the back orders first then offered these for sale, sorry but that's really bad PR.

Clive

Would just add my outburst is not directed at adb968008 but at Kernow and Model Rail.

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 2

Whoah !!! Quote ' I got the text message that my second 30064 ordered today is on its way for delivery tomorrow' !!!!!

So you can go on line and order a 30064 and get it dispatched the next day, but if you have one on order for the last three years your still stuck waiting for kernow to extract their digit with a weekly update saying don't phone blah blah some 6 weeks after they took delivery of MR103 and MR104 ! That's wrong on so many levels, so pre order means nothing then ! And yes I know these are cancelled orders but really they should have cleared the back orders first then offered these for sale, sorry but that's really bad PR.

Clive

Would just add my outburst is not directed at adb968008 but at Kernow and Model Rail.

Kernow's method is to work through the 'easy to fulfil' orders first. That enables the greatest number of models to be sent out each day and the largest number of customers to be supplied with their models. If the job is done in strict order of receipt of orders, then there will be delays while staff chase up revised card details and queries and the whole job will take a lot longer. A new order is likely to go out quickly because none of the details will require checking. The pre-order is a reservation, that is all. (CJL)

• Like 3

Clive

Edited by PrestburyJack