ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

I have just waded back into this discussion. Having been one of those who pre-ordered the loco when it was originally announced. Having worked in finance, I know that banks will try and charge for what ever they can, until someone stops them.

It is always difficult, especially when it takes a long time for a product to come out. For companies they insure against exchange rates making costs go up. I wonder if the answer is to change the way people do pre-orders for new models. One problem for me, and possibly others, is that when I originally made the order, I knew I had enough money, where as now I am not so sure. I would have been happy to have actually paid at the time(interest rates are so low that I would not lose any money), and now crowdfunding is in full swing, so combining pre-ordering and a crowdfunded scheme could make it a hole lot easier. The other benefit is the guarantee that enough people will 'buy' the model, and having ability to return money if there are not enough.

Ironically, since the loco was originally planned, many similar projects are being done this way.

One reason for the higher charges now from banks and credit card companies is because interest rates are so low, and they can't make money just by delaying a transaction by a day(which did used to happen when interest rates were a lot higher).

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-86311200-1462385801_thumb.jpg

For those going to the Derby Exhibition this weekend, Bachmann and Model Rail have very kindly loaned one of the working, decorated EP's. It'll be run on Albion Yard over the two days. For those overseas readers, who won't get the opportunity to see it first hand, it is an excellent model and runs really well, as did the earlier EP's last year at Warley. I doubt purchasers will be disappointed with any of the versions.

• Like 11

I would like to assure you that customers are not 'a pain' for either Model Rail or Kernow. We value everyone's custom - it pays our wages - and we would like all our customers to be happy with the service they receive. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why that is a tall order. Here, in a nutshell is the response from Kernow to my enquiry:

Unfortunately this is the way that the Sagepay system works.  We were forced into this just over a year ago to comply with the latest regulations on Payment Card Industry regulations.

They don't take account of business taking orders way in advance of when the models actually arrive, as this is a scenario pretty much unique to the model railway world!  Almost everywhere else you go takes the money the second you place the order (theatre tickets, airline or rail fares, etc etc) and the situation of ordering a long time ahead just does not exist.

Ironically the lower tech website could handle all this fine, but it is likely to become more of a problem as people are upgraded to the newer higher security systems.

As I said previously, we do not receive many pre-orders from overseas, so this issue does not arise very often, hence the fact that I was unaware of it. (CJL)

Thanks for the reply.

Did he manage to keep a straight face while he was giving you that answer? Kernow are having a laugh aren't they? All the software needs is a placeholder, so they know they have pre-order and CC details on record, the rest of the world manages it, yes even Hornby, who according to the pundits are all at sea in the areas of sales, marketing and customer service, more capable software I guess. Why buy software that won't allow placeholders for pre-orders and CC details? Barmy! And, sorry, railway modelling isn't unique when it comes to pre-orders, what is unique, in my experience, is the way Kernow handles them.

Anyway, my condolences, you tried..........

No, that IS the way Sagepay functions.

I got the impression long ago that Sage were trying to emulate Microsoft's ambitions for world domination. They used to be a nice little software company with some quite good products, that I sold and supported for years. Then they started getting big ideas, and things went downhill. Except in terms of their profits!

No, that IS the way Sagepay functions.

Which doesn't change the fact that I was buying from Kernow, not Sagepay and I doubt there's any "Until death do us part" clause in any agreement between them.

The fact that all these work arounds, for non UK purchasers, are being offered, speaks volumes and as I keep repeating, the competition have got it right, which shows Sagepay aren't the only game in town. So I stand by my statement, a method unique to Kernow in my experience, I'm not the customer of their software vendor, I was a potential customer of Kernow.

• RMweb Premium

Which doesn't change the fact that I was buying from Kernow, not Sagepay and I doubt there's any "Until death do us part" clause in any agreement between them.

The fact that all these work arounds, for non UK purchasers, are being offered, speaks volumes and as I keep repeating, the competition have got it right, which shows Sagepay aren't the only game in town. So I stand by my statement, a method unique to Kernow in my experience, I'm not the customer of their software vendor, I was a potential customer of Kernow.

Kernow use Sagepay - fact.

If you pre-order on-line from Kernow, you'll pay via Sagepay and will incur a currency fee - but there are alternative ways to pre-order from them that won't incur the fee.

If you still don't like the way Kernow operate, try and order a USA tank from elsewhere. Oh, you can't - shame!

Can we now leave this issue alone?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

If you still don't like the way Kernow operate, try and order a USA tank from elsewhere. Oh, you can't - shame!

Actually lots of places...just in HO gauge.

Hornby makes different versions for the US and European markets. (Differences include the bell, shunters step, working headlights and Cow catcher on the US variants, and the European variants have buffers, drawbar and frontal steps). Also US Style couplings vs EU NEM couplings.

Just saying.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Just saying.

Why?

This branch of the thread concerns the OP having pre-ordered a Model Rail 4mm. scale USA tank - so the availability of 3.5mm. scale versions is not relevant; (and is well known to all concerned, anyway).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe slightly off-topic but I often pre-order with Jura Models in France, give them my card details and my card account gets hit when the item is available and gets shipped. If a  French model railway shop in the Jura Mountains can run such a system maybe Kernow should look for another card processing company. Maybe they could start looking at the system used by Hornby......

The other annoying feature of the Kernow system is that Barclaycard process the refund and credit my card account immediately..... before they take the original payment the following month. All unnecessary hassle for all parties.

Because of this I've stopped doing such online transactions with Kernow and now telephone my preorders to them as I did when pre-ordering Maunsell.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if it's been covered recently - if so I missed it - but what decoder socket will they have? Presumably not one of the new Next18 types. I assume Kernow can fit a decoder for me when the models arrive, as they do with their own sales.

Edited by brushman47544

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if it's been covered recently - if so I missed it - but what decoder socket will they have? Presumably not one of the new Next18 types. I assume Kernow can fit a decoder for me when the models arrive, as they do with their own sales.

According to the Model Rail Offers website, it is a 6-pin socket.

The question for me is whether anyone will produce a sound file for it. There are enough preserved examples around to provide input.

The next question is whether my WD 300 will be available for an exhibition outing in September (2016).   :scratchhead:

Tony

it's no good just having enough preserved examples around - you need enough preserved examples capable of making steam loco-like sounds ! ....... and I think that's only one at present : which should be enough !

Latest availability guesstimate was manufacture in June, if i remember rightly ......... so, add a slow boat from China an' you might just be OK for your date in September.

• 3 weeks later...

Saying they will  be manufactured in June, and being shipped, takes a fair while to make these models... sadly not do-able in 14 days, I would expect it will take a month maybe 2 to complete all the variations Model Rail commissioned. I wouldn't expect them to be here till end of Summer.

Didn't expect them to be finished and on the ship half way through the month - but, to my mind, "manufactured in June" means that there should be progress to report by now.

I would expect all the moulds to be ready and the CNC machines fully programmed already so "manufacture" commences when the button - sorry - keypad is pressed ......... and all the bits will be spewed out within a couple of days. THEN the slower processes will commence ( painting / assembly / testing ) - but, with the relatively small volumes involved, it SHOULD be possible to complete within a month if sufficient resources are put into it !

............ I only asked whether there was any news from the factory !

• RMweb Premium

Didn't expect them to be finished and on the ship half way through the month - but, to my mind, "manufactured in June" means that there should be progress to report by now.

Why do we "expect" a progress report on model railway items? Anything else we buy when it is available.

The intention to produce an item is (sometimes) announced, and we find it available to buy in due course; (sometimes with a flurry of hype at that point).

Surely we all have enough going on in our lives not to be fretting about our next purchases?

.......... or perhaps not ?

Whatever .......

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Like 4

Milord John of Isherwood,

I be only a humble servant of the lower order, but some of us placed multiple preorders for the said USA tanks which means at some point our 'other less enlightened halves' may notice a large transaction on the joint Barclaycard ! Forewarned is forearmed, thus I humbly request that updates to progress be put on this forum to ensure continued harmony !

Regards

Clive

• RMweb Premium

Milord John of Isherwood,

I be only a humble servant of the lower order ...............

Clive

Not sure what that is meant to convey !

I was, and remain, merely a little mystified as to why production progress reports seem to be expected in our hobby.

As to placating partners; I have found that being open about my financial commitments, plus ensuring that such expenditure is not just one-sided, is most likely to keep relationships on an even keel.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not sure what that is meant to convey !

I was, and remain, merely a little mystified as to why production progress reports seem to be expected in our hobby.

As to placating partners; I have found that being open about my financial commitments, plus ensuring that such expenditure is not just one-sided, is most likely to keep relationships on an even keel.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Isn't it fair to expect production reports when the manufacturers choose to announce their goods in advance  -  most non-model-railway products are only advertised when they're actually available on the shelves but this industry doesn't seem to work like that !

{ You'll note that I refrained from saying THREE AND A HALF YEARS in advance ! - er, until now .... oops.)