Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ugliest locomotive?

• RMweb Gold

I'll start with Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway diesel #1. It looks like somebody punched it in the face.

Can't fault your analysis, and it was a year or two before EMD got styling under control, but handsome is as handsome does in locomotive terms. On their maiden run with the new Super Chief, May 12th 1936, these guys managed just under 40 hours Chicago-Los Angeles, despite the train being old-fashioned Pullman Standard heavyweight stock, not the new Budd stainless cars. Compared to what had gone before, this was Concorde to a DC7c!

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it strange - I HATE the Fell, but I really like the class 70! Strange shape, but it appeals to me! "Visual pollution" indeed...lol!

I'm with rodshaw - the Q1. Always looks like a distorted cylinder on wheels. Simply horrible...

Jeff

Guest Natalie Graham

Has to be those strange green locos with copper bits on top of the chimneys that used to run in the west of England. :P

Being used to GE's proper locomotives, I have to agree with the class 70. It looks like a hacked down domestic GE with a malformed garden shed at each end. Utterly wretched things that make the utilitarian ES44AC look positively charming.

If we're talking multiple units, the one where they didn't even try: the 4-COR. Just take a corridor coach and make a hole in the end for the driver to look out of, then stick a headcode box the other side of the gangway. Job done.

Guest Natalie Graham

The new trains on the Ayrshire coast line are ugly looking things too with a giant sloping gangway dominating the front end.

all the Bullieds as well,

I have to admit, I also find anything designed by Bullied to be amazingly ugly.

I also find the Crosti 9F is also a thing of ugliness, which is odd because the differences between a standard 9F are fairly small!

With new safety rules/regulations its getting harder and harder to actually design a loco.

I recently had a lecture by one of the top technical people it FScR Who was discussing why the 380 cab Had to be like the way it is with gangway etc.

Crash worthiness is key fact and has alot to do with the front design of 70. I know Id rather be in a 70 cab than a duff in the event of an accident

Simon

Archived