Shepherds

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

The Chacewater to Newquay Railway.

The real history.

The section from Blackwater to Perranporth opened in 1903, the extension to Shepherds in 1905. This now connected with the former Cornwall mineral Railway Newquay to Treamble Branch.

Blackwater Juntion was originally triangular, but the North Western curve was lifted in 1919. In 1924 the whole junction was replaced with a single line from Chacewater station.

The whole line was closed in 1963.

Fictional history.

In late 1944 a stray bomb hit the Blackwater viaduct, just west of Chacewater station. The North Western curve of the Blackwater Junction was quickly re-instated, re-joining the main line to Penzance with the rest of the country, albeit on a single line via Par and Tolcarne Junction just outside Newquay. The remainder of the main line, from Par to Truro, and the branch to Falmouth Docks, was also kept open.

Following the rebuilding of Blackwater viaduct in the early 1950s, it was decided to keep the line via Perranporth & Tolcarne Junction to Par as a relief line. It was also noted that the line had actually prospered since the end of the war, so when the Beeching cuts of the early 1960s decimated the British branchlines, the Blackwater to Newquay line was spared.

Over the next 50 years, the line saw continued use, mainly for holiday and passenger traffic, but also seeing more feight use as several of the West Cornwall tin mines were re-opened.

Shepherds Station

This station is unusual on this line as being on a virtually straight, level section of track. The station has two platforms, a small cattle dock, and more interestingly a branchline to Treamble and the mine at Gravel Hill. There was no goods shed at the station. There were however camping coaches.

The proposed model

I have long had a desire to model this station. The combination of the simple trackplan with the variety of traffic (both real and imagined) should prove to be enjoyable to operate. The main scenic section will be between two fiddle yards - the left one full width, the right hand one half width with a scenic section (the Treample branch) in front.

I should be able to run the layout with all eras - from early GWR with panniers and B-sets or autocoaches, through to Class 22s and DMUs and more modern units. Freight can be oil passing to Long Rock, Cement to Chacewater, and for the Treamble branch everything from BWTs (they ran on the Wenford Bridge line, this is not too far away...) to Class 25s and maybe even upto Class 66s, although these might be considered too large.

Don't expect any usual quick progress on this - the layout is booked to appear at Taunton SWAG party in 2014 - yep, fourteen - so I'm intending to take my time, researching and building as accurate a model as possible.

Wikipedia link

Good to see another layout portraying a station on this interesting line being proposed.

I see you are already across a good potential source of additional research information in another place.

Good luck with the project and I will set my alarm clock for Autumn 2013 or is that too early?

I have often thought this looked a nice station to model, but that the traffic would be limiting. Your alternative history is a brilliant idea. I look forward to seeing this. How many box files do you need?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Baseboards

Now, despite my saying this would not be a quick build, I didn't say it would not include my obtuse thinking...

I've been pondering a different method of joining a scenic section to the fiddle yard. conventional thinking is to butt the two baseboards end to end, locating with pattern-makers dowels, bolts or similar. This means that either both boards need to have independent legs, or that one board hangs off the next one, relying purely on the fixings to hold it up.

Looking at the SWAG Module layout at the weekend, and noting how well the short bridge pieces performed, I've devised a different method of connecting the baseboard, and how to aligning the tracks and cassettes.

Proposal 1 - Rest the scenic board on the FY board.

The FY baseboard can be made in a conventional manner, but the end next to the scenic board is stepped, to allow the scenic board to sit on the FY board. The boards will not need to be aligned accurately. A small lip will be added to the edge of the step, to prevent the scenic board from sliding off and a short coach bolt will be used on top of the FY board to keep the scenic board from rising. Thus the scenic board will be 'locked' onto the FY board.

Proposal 2 - track alignment

By using a free-floating piece of track, connected by fishplates, the track exiting the scenic board will be perfectly alligned to the FY track. The other end of the track will be a standard angle-aluminum cassette-style fitting, but again left to float free. The FY baseboard will have a slightly lowered deck on which the cassettes can be placed, to align the height of the track with the scenic section.

Hopefully this picture explains all that a bit better...

post-7025-0-42021300-1336118800.gif

• RMweb Gold

Stubby - making a LAYOUT - for Taunton - in 2014....? Still more likely than me making a module for 2013...

Good stuff! An interesting scenario too. :)

Yes, a layout... and you CAN do a module for next year !!

Good to see another layout portraying a station on this interesting line being proposed.

I see you are already across a good potential source of additional research information in another place.

Good luck with the project and I will set my alarm clock for Autumn 2013 or is that too early?

Yes, John B has offered me as much info as needed, plus I can actually get to the site itself to see what ofther buldings are still there.

Autumn 2013 might be too early...

I have often thought this looked a nice station to model, but that the traffic would be limiting. Your alternative history is a brilliant idea. I look forward to seeing this. How many box files do you need?

Ed

I'm not using box files - I have seen the doc and I should be out of the long sleeved jacket fairly soon...

Guest 34008Padstow

Will definately be following with intrest. I thought about modelling a section of the line after seeing it in the west cornwall past and present book. Good luck with the project and look forward to seeing it progress.

• RMweb Gold

Baseboards - Part 2

One benefit of this sort of baseboard construction and non-fixed FY track is the actual scenc part can be interchanged for another, without any changes necessary to the fiddle yard. The scenic section can also be any length, even two pieces if a suitable independent support can be used under the middle joint.

post-7025-0-84322800-1336216340.gif

Obviously, I'll need two such fiddle yards, to hold up each end of the scenic section. The 2nd end, however, will be a little different. What I'm intending is making the right hand end only half width, allowing another scenic sub-module in front. For Shepherds, this will form the Treamble branch, which should really be some way from the station.

post-7025-0-09903800-1336216377.gif

But, and this is only an idea at the moment, I could use the same set up for a simple ficticious BLT, placing the platforms on the extension and the goods yard on the main board. The exit to the right will be for a freight-only line (to a mine or clay dries).

post-7025-0-48546900-1336216627.gif

• RMweb Gold

I like the plans mate, what track do you intend to use?

I'll probably use Peco Code 75 with live frog points - I'm not intending to build my own track as I want the layout to work !

• RMweb Gold

Research

I had a look on Google Earth earlier to see what is still existing. Lo and behold both houses behind the station are still there, although one has been extended. There is also what looks to be the weighbridge office, which although somewhat overgrown is definitely a railway building.

Me thinks a site visit might be planned very soon !

Most of the other reasearch I've done so far is reviewing the Middleton Press books and any other photos I can find either in Cornwall railway books or on the Internet. There is also a thread detailing the complete history of the line (or will be when finished) on the YMR forum, being written by someone making a N gauge model of Perranporth.

I've never heard of anyone else making a model of this station - has anyone else ?

• RMweb Gold

Research

I had a look on Google Earth earlier to see what is still existing. Lo and behold both houses behind the station are still there, although one has been extended. There is also what looks to be the weighbridge office, which although somewhat overgrown is definitely a railway building.

Me thinks a site visit might be planned very soon !

Most of the other reasearch I've done so far is reviewing the Middleton Press books and any other photos I can find either in Cornwall railway books or on the Internet. There is also a thread detailing the complete history of the line (or will be when finished) on the YMR forum, being written by someone making a N gauge model of Perranporth.

I've never heard of anyone else making a model of this station - has anyone else ?

I'm sure I've seen a nice colour photo of Shepherds in one of Peter Grays colour albums from Ian Allan.

I like the way you are planning on doing the baseboards... I hope you are planning on detailed documentation on the actual construction! (mainly so that those of us who aren't yet there know how to make them when we get there) ;)

I'm sure I've seen a nice colour photo of Shepherds in one of Peter Grays colour albums from Ian Allan.

"Steam in Cornwall" Peter W.Gray P68 - a view from a train in the platforms looking towards a camping coach with a fairly substantial girder overbridge in the background, part of a four page picture sequence including Chacewater, Mount Hawke Halt and Mithian Halt.

Presumably you have already stumbled across the YouTube video End of Chacewater Line - Part 2 - old(poor quality) cine-film which has few fleeting seconds of Shepherds station - not much good for modelling, but it gets you "in the zone".

Shepherds seems quite camera shy unlike Shepherd's Bush.

• RMweb Gold

I like the way you are planning on doing the baseboards... I hope you are planning on detailed documentation on the actual construction! (mainly so that those of us who aren't yet there know how to make them when we get there) ;)

With the idea of 'detailed construction' ringing in my head, I've had a quick sketch of how I envisage the necessary bits and pieces being put together for the scenic end of the fiddle yard.

General construction will be thin ply ladder frame with softwood spaces, deep enough to allow the integral legs room to swing up inside the frame depth.

The scenic end of the fiddle yard has been detailed below, although without showing the nearside frame nor the full sandwich of the far frame.

post-7025-0-40989400-1336331198.gif

The top block will be mdf, which will also be used for the bases of the cassettes. The two blocks on the ledge will not necessarily be as high as those shown, and could be made from anything I have to hand. The rest of the construction will be from ply and softwood.

Cool! Once I work out how much space I have I may look in to making a roundy-roundy on the same basis - making each end a corner instead and hooking the modules up inbetween each. This would allow for easily taking it in the house to work at the kitchen table ;)

Interesting layout you've got planned Stubby I like the idea of changing the scenic sections! I've just started work on a Midland Region LMS Camping coach so I'll be keen to see you progress with yours and the layout. I'll be especially keen to see it at Tauntan all being well. I must admit the second track plan looks far better!

Jaymes

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all of you who have suggested books or videos of the line & the station - I will be following these up as time permits ( and I can get Jnr off my pc !)

Whilst I'm happy about the construction for the main FY board, I am still musing on how best to configure the smaller FY board and the scenic section in front.

I really wanted the track bed to be raised above the basic ground level at the south west end of the station, as the ground can be seen to drop away on the northern side. Also, the real Treamble branch drops at 1:60 from the station. As my Treamble branch will be a lot closer to the main line than in reality, I need to allow the small scenic board to be lower to match the branchline.

Given that my intended materials for the small board will be 5mm foamboard, the bottom of this unit will be a 15mm deep sandwich, the top of which needs to be 10-20mm below the main track height. Which in turn means the support part of the FY board, for the scenic section, will need to be 25-35mm lower than the FY track.

There will be scope in the baseboard depth down to the ledge to accommodate this, but I think maybe a model mock up might be a prudent way to go about this.

• RMweb Gold

Shepherds Station - Research Trip

Quite an eventful visit to the whole area this morning. I started at Goonhavern, where the line crossed under the main road. The Perranporth side of the bridge parapets still exists, although the cutting has long since been filled in.

post-7025-0-96404500-1336861202_thumb.jpg

There is not much left at Shepherds, but a chat with the lady at Shepherds farm, who remembers the railway, produced a picture I'd not seen before (I believe a Clive Benny original). Wandering around the station area did lead to a couple of finds though.

The original station approach is still visible, as are the two large houses which can be seen just to the east of the station. However, a new access road has been driven though where the Signal box and lamp hut were. All that is left of the signal box is this small corner.

post-7025-0-68607800-1336861807_thumb.jpg

The fence looks to be the original station platform fencing which would have been between the signal box and the station building.

Looking towards Newquay, in front of the large shed can be seen the remains of the cattle dock.

post-7025-0-04072900-1336862023_thumb.jpg

The best find was the virtually intact weighbridge office. Despite being heavily overgrown at the back, the unmistakeable characteristics of the building can still be seen.

post-7025-0-27850100-1336862165_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Treamble Branch - Research Trip

The Treamble branch line was the original Cornish Mineral Railways line to Treamble Mine. As such it was quite well engineered.

post-7025-0-62553600-1336936087.gif

The line leaves what became Shepherds station in a due west direction, then curves north towards Deerpark Mine. Following the side of the valley it curves again to the west at Rejerrah, passing under the road.

post-7025-0-38377000-1336934900_thumb.jpg

The east side parapet, shown above, has a white painted square positioned about halfway across. See inset picture. The lettering isn't clear - does anyone know what it means ? What is also obvious is the slant of the road as it passed over line.

This is the othe side of the east parapet, showing the construction of the brick & stonework.

post-7025-0-62200100-1336935339_thumb.jpg

The line continues along the valley, passing over the B-road from Rejerrah to Rejerrah Farm. Although the line is long gone, the bridge abutments still exist, showing a distance value of 1 mile 6 3/4 Chains from Shepherds.

post-7025-0-49964100-1336935497_thumb.jpg

The line turns north west, still following the wooded valley, until it reaches a point midway between Trelaske and Treworthen Farm. It now turns due south, crossing over the road between Rejerrah and Penhale Camp before terminating at Treamble Mine.

post-7025-0-66277400-1336935725_thumb.jpg

Stubby, I stayed in one of the Camping Coaches with my family in the late 1950s. Dad worked on the railway and we had it at staff rates, plus cheap travel of course. There was definitely a signal box there as I was allowed to pull off one of the signals; not something one forgets in a hurry.

The village was, if I remember correctly, some way from the station.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve. The Middleton Press books contain photos of the camping coaches, positioned in what used to be the cattle dock.

It was quite sad walking round, trying to visualise what was once a station, but was now mainly mud (or worse !).

Archived