WD Austerity 2-8-0s

I am asking if there are any obvious major differences between the locomotives in the class, because I have noticed that the Bachmann models to date seem to have avoided running numbers below 90200.

I have an example that I wish to renumber to a more suitable number (below 90200)- will it be a case of comparing photographs or are there more obvious pitfalls associated with this idea.

Thanks any help or advice.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the WDs (or anything else for that matter!), but the only obvious difference I'm aware of concerns those locos taken into GWR/BR(W) stock.

They were fitted with a fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side running plate and a different top-feed arrangement to the other locos.

Bachmann have done this version.

Graham

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the WDs (or anything else for that matter!), but the only obvious difference I'm aware of concerns those locos taken into GWR/BR(W) stock.

They were fitted with a fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side running plate and a different top-feed arrangement to the other locos.

Bachmann have done this version.

Graham

It will interesting to see if this is reflected in the Bachmann example I have which is supposed to be a BR(W) one which I am hoping to renumber to represent the last WD based in Devon until 1954(?).

Depends on what you mean by major.

Top feed, fire iron tunnel, fire box, hand rails exist in all manner of variations by both date and location.

There was a good pair of articles in MRJ some years ago by TS on both the prototype and how several varieties could be hacked out of the Bachmann model.

I think there was a new book on the class fairly recently.

247 do an etch for the fire iron tunnel if you need one (or even possibly two).

Bernard

MRJ issues are 118 and 119

Some years ago, there was one or more articles in "Model Railway Journal" on re-working/detailing the Bachman "Austeritie". As already said, the BR built boilers and the GW alterations, are the main variations. I suggest a dated photo of the engine you wish to model.

More then one MRJ index is available on line, and several books are in print devoted to the WD's both 2-80 and 2-10-0. Mick Nicholson.

Other differences were cab doors and sliding windows on the cab side, starting with the 200 that the LNER bought from the MOD/WD, cab roof vents also appeared though I don't know when they started.

post-10324-0-93199400-1336130639_thumb.jpg

Fully compensated WD 2-10-0 built for Hewisbridge layout.

The sliding windows can be spotted by the line of five bolts just below the window line, and the cab roof vent can also just be seen, these were the same for the 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s. I have two books on the subject but are out on loan at the moment - see you at Wigan on Alloa Mr. Easter....

HTH.

Dave Franks

I bought a nicely weathered Bachmann 2-8-0, then realised it was one with a WR top feed (how much use for a layout set in Derbyshire I wondered). I was pleased a few days ago when I came across a photo of 90685 which I took in Derby in 1964. The point of this post, however, is to note that 90685 carried double lamp irons to accommodate GW lamps as well as the rest of the world's.

• I presume the model has a sound chip and I bet one noise it will not replicate is the loud clanking that always announced that a WD was on the way. I went to a school which overlooked the GCR main line and you could tell well in advance when a WD was approaching.

• RMweb Premium
  • I presume the model has a sound chip and I bet one noise it will not replicate is the loud clanking that always announced that a WD was on the way. I went to a school which overlooked the GCR main line and you could tell well in advance when a WD was approaching.

Exactly what caused the clanking? I presume part of the motion. I can remember it and I think another class that clanked was, if I remember correctly, the ex LNWR 0-8-0s

I was taught that mechanical noise was wasted energy.

Keith

Living near to the ex L&Y line into Manchester I can well remember the Clanking which preceded the Dub Dees and Austin Sevens and the 'wheezing' sound of the ex LNWR 0-8-0s. Always a real give away even in the dark.

Sounds that are never forgotton - perhaps the title for another topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

247 do an etch for the fire iron tunnel if you need one (or even possibly two).

Whilst 247 doe the fire iron tunnel etch is anyone aware of a 4mm supplier for the top feed equipment?

• 2 years later...

I bought a nicely weathered Bachmann 2-8-0, then realised it was one with a WR top feed (how much use for a layout set in Derbyshire I wondered). I was pleased a few days ago when I came across a photo of 90685 which I took in Derby in 1964. The point of this post, however, is to note that 90685 carried double lamp irons to accommodate GW lamps as well as the rest of the world's.

There were several based/seen in the area until at least 1965. 90466 and 90529 for a start, 90466 even had a diagonal stripe on the cabside because of it. 

The ex Western Region locos with the different top feed and fire iron tunnel were transferred away to the LM region in the 1960's so could be seen anywhere.

As usual the trick is to model from a photograph in the period you are modelling in your modelling location.

David

The Eastern Region received a few as well, mainly 41 area sheds. At least one retained its Swindon top feed cover whist acquiring a new 'Doncaster' firebox with the stepped boiler/firebox hand rails. These were to avoid the wash out plugs on the new firebox by the way.

Archived