Well after finishing the K Grange i've got the bug to do another. So i bought a Finecast kit

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1436.l2649

The Kit came with the boiler and footplate assembled, the boiler looked OK but footplate was not so i boiled it in a pan of hot water and dissasembled ( plus missing an important part toboot ) wish i had done the same with the body as it's already caused probs the person who built it used apoxy on the Funnel and made a bloody poor job. I have filled sanded filled sanded 3 times to get it right.

Nearly there but its taken a week, AArgh, Dave Ellis at SEF supplied the Back plate i was missing so once i'm happy with the funnel surround I will start the build.

Hope to recieve as much support from you All as before :)

Regards

John.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John , could I respectfully suggest that you start a thread in the kit and scratch building area , that will still give you

the help if you need it and keep this section just to questions in general , I thought I'd say this before any

of the Mods do . :sungum:

Cheers .

Hi John , could I respectfully suggest that you start a thread in the kit and scratch building area , that will still give you

the help if you need it and keep this section just to questions in general , I thought I'd say this before any

of the Mods do . :sungum:

Cheers .

Thanks Mike, I feel like i've been promoted :) now in with the Big guys although still wet behind my ears as far as kitbuilding Locos is concerned, This A3 is going to be fun, Hope everyone is as helpful and understanding as you were with the K :)

John.

John

If you are unhappy with the boiler, why not put it in a pan of boiling water and start again. I know you have worked on it for a week, but it may niggle you if you dont. Or save you loosing 3 weeks work

John

John i bit the bullet, its not been a week really but of an evening only when i get home from work but i sanded down Again today and had same result, the person who made the boiler used so much glue you could build the olympic stadium, the chimney is knackered now because of the amount of glue i had to remove so i've ordered new boiler and chimney from SEF.

So its been boiled and striped to start from scratch.

Watch out here I come with woes or winners :)

John.

Well after the woes of Friday and having to buy a new boiler and funnel i wanted to make a start so i spent 2 hours yesterday and washed every single part in hot soapy water then dried a lot were covered in some kind of oil and a few were covered in epoxy ?

I managed to break the spectacle plate in the process but its not a problem as it can be fitted directly onto the boiler anyway which enables painting the Boiler and footplate seperately.

Needs a small bit of filler but a least its a start.

John.

Edit: just looking through Flickr and there seems to be a difference on the A3 it either has a small dome or a banjo dome, is this personal preference?

post-14207-0-94255200-1336899575.jpg

I must admit im fairly despondant with this kit some of the mouldings are awful on the bright side i am getting to know Dave Ellis at SEF quite well, Boiler not arrived yet so i have no body at the moment, so worked on the footplate and have now started the tender for something to do. waiting for paints to arrive from phoenix as im going to hand paint primer and top coats, at least i've remembered to paint the chassis this time before assembling :)

John.

Hello John,

I'd get some work done on the frames at least get both sides together, so you can check the fit with the footplate.

One small point ships have funnels, loco have chimneys.

Keep on with it, for removing epoxy use Nitramos (I'm not sure on the spelling) paint stripper, if you can still get it use the original one. For cleaning try Cillit Bang, I use the red one when I'm building, but you mentioned that oil was present on some of the castings so you may have to use the green one (it's a degreaser, it also works on cooker tops!!). a few squirts and add hot water and a brush with a paint brush and wash in clean hot water should do it.

OzzyO.

John

You seem to be unlucky with this kit. I will admit that I have brought a couple of realy bad-un's, but nothing that needs a new boiler. The worst was where someone tried to convert the cab of a Wills Q class (0-6-0 tender loco) to an earlier class and a wrecked tender. As the cab is an integral part of the footplate, either I have to buy a new pair of footplate / cab castings, or just remove the cab sides and build new ones from plasticard , which is the route I will go down. I managed to find a new un-built tender off Ebay for a fiver

Normally its just buying replacement steps, vents, splashers or any other small fragile castings that are easily broken, thankfully these items are not too dear and over time I have built up a spares box which quite often has parts I can use.

Its quite surprising what comes up on Ebay in lots of whitemetal castings, and the odd £2 or £3 often secures a nice little selection. I would guess my parts box would sell (in small lots) for more than most of my locos, but then if I had to pay full RRP it would have cost far more than any of my locos.

Recently I got parts I needed to complete both a K's railcar and a pair of Dean Goods. All for £6 in total and there was also other usefull items. I guess its just a lucky find and the fact that I have quite a few locos needing rebuilding waiting in the wings

Basically the Chimney ( Cheers OzzyO ) :) was knackered by trying to fix the problem i managed to make it worse by filling away the details on the squares either side so i thought best to start again. Do you mean Cab sides OzzyO when you say frames ?

And thanks John for popping in will post pics asap just been told to cut the lawn :(

John.

Do you mean Cab sides OzzyO when you say frames ?

John.

Hello John,

no I meant the frames, this is a set of frames.

post-8920-0-96259200-1337443740_thumb.jpg

You may think of them as the chassis, but that is not the correct name.

A class 47 may be said to have a chassis, as the bodywork framework is attached to it. If you think of a Land Rover it has a chassis, but a Mini has a floor-pan with the bodywork welded to it, and the wheels etc. also attached to it. So it's all in one piece.

HTH

OzzyO.

Edit: just looking through Flickr and there seems to be a difference on the A3 it either has a small dome or a banjo dome, is this personal preference?

Hello John,

it's not personal preference, it's all down to the loco that your modeling and when (the date). The different shape was down to the different shape of the steam collector, as the regulator was above the superheater header, thats what the small squarish shaped "lumps" on the smokebox are to cover.

Just out of curiosity how long have you been modeling.

OzzyO.

Go easy on him Ozzy , this is only Johns second go at loco building .

Sorry I did not know that. If he asks some thing I'll try and help him and remember that. As I said sorry for the misunderstanding.

OzzyO

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I did not know that. If he asks some thing I'll try and help him and remember that. As I said sorry for the misunderstanding.

OzzyO

Dont worry to much , John is pretty resilient after this , http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50195-k-kit-hardships/

He saw it through when I'm sure other new to building locos people would have binned it and gone down the pub .

This A3 kit has the Wills white metal chassis block , so hope fully for John it will be an easier build than the K's , who knows , he may

then want to try a ' proper ' kit . :D

Dont worry to much , John is pretty resilient after this , http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50195-k-kit-hardships/

He saw it through when I'm sure other new to building locos people would have binned it and gone down the pub .

This A3 kit has the Wills white metal chassis block , so hope fully for John it will be an easier build than the K's , who knows , he may

then want to try a ' proper ' kit . :D

Knowing John the next kit will be a Jedinco

Hello John,

it may be an idea to ask the Mods to combine your two threads into one. Keeping this one as the main thread, the one I'm thinking about is " A3 footplate and cab floor". I think that you would get more responses to questions relating to the build on this one.

OzzyO.

Hi John

It's so nice to see some one starting out on this side of the hobby!! I hope you don't get too hooked on it like I have!! The thing to always keep it mind is that you are not in a competition and at the end of the day if you are happy with it and have enjoyed building it thats all that matters!!

Now, looking at the shot of the kit on eBay I cant make out any chassis fret? The Finecast chassis was nicely revised a while back and it is worth checking you have the revised version. Looking at the box I have a nasty feeling you have the old cast one. Not that the old chassis cannot be made perfectly serviceable (although I have never really had much success with them because they are so hard to get the wheels set up properly) but you will make life considerably easier for yourself if you fork out for an etched chassis.

Cheers

John A

Hello John,

it may be an idea to ask the Mods to combine your two threads into one. Keeping this one as the main thread, the one I'm thinking about is " A3 footplate and cab floor". I think that you would get more responses to questions relating to the build on this one.

OzzyO.

Morning OzzyO,

That was just a general question which is why i posted in modelling section this thread is the build PS how do i find out who are moderators in the past i keep bothering Andy Y I think hes the Boss though :)

Mike ( Sidecar ) is quite correct in that the chassis is a block, hav'nt done anything to it as you can see, because i intend to paint Before assembly this time ( a novice mistake i made on the Grange ) but you can see i've not been idle, all my paints arrived from phoenix y'day and i also bought a chemical cleaner for the white metal, i still want to hand paint the primer though that shouldnt be a prob should it ?

Regards

John the Cub :)

post-14207-0-05632600-1337505553.jpg

post-14207-0-84754100-1337505571.jpg

post-14207-0-61660200-1337505588.jpg

post-14207-0-22605500-1337505598.jpg

post-14207-0-33578200-1337505609.jpg

Knowing John the next kit will be a Jedinco

John, i did a search for Jedinco but could not find anything do you have a link, i know one thing this is my last 40 + year old kit,

Things i have bought so far:

Boiler,

Chimney,

Safety Valves

Relief Valve

Left and Right hand sides for Pony truck

Set of Romford wheels + Crankpins

X04 5 pole airfix motor

New Cylinders and pistons

Tender Wheels ( Missing in the kit )

I love white metal kit building the engineering has amazed me ( Not the moulding, the precision of how the parts fit together ) the biggest thrill is the engineering that goes into the smallest of parts, i've looked at the kits available from SE Finecast that may be next I don't know but always open to suggestions :)

John.

Hello John,

possible the easiest way to get the Mods to move it for you is to click the report button on the bottom of the last of the A3 footplate post and ask them to move it all to this thread.

OzzyO.

Edit; have a look at any of the build threads in the scratch building section (the scale doesn't matter)as you should pick up some tips. Don't go for that one by OzzyO, as he's mad. Jazz's is a good one.

Very Funny John :) I did have a laugh.

http://www.rmweb.co....co-terrier-kit/

certainly not at the OP but the quality of Jidenco sounds right up my street :)

John

That was a bit or an error as Jedinco kits are etched brass, I should have said MTK (Modern Traction Kits) as they make K's look state of the art.

As you brought the Chassis and body seperatly may account for the missing bits, looking at my instructions the pony truck should have come with the body, cylinders and pistons with the chassis. Older kits came with plastic wheels (which we replaced), loco wheels and motor were always extra (one of us may have been able to help drill and tap your old drivers which would have reduced the cost). I am surprised the boiler needed changing, and there should have been an alternative chimney in the kit.

Still you are doing very well with both models, when we all started building kits we damaged parts. Its all part of the learning curve, as is learning to repair rather than replace, but sometimes things are beyond repair, and think what damage could be caused with a soldering iron!!

Buying second hand kits is a gamble, even when stated complete, it does not guarentee they are complete. Only experance in kitbuliding and of the prototype being modelled will give you the knack of knowing what is worth buying and at what price. Having said that look at the price Metropolitian has spent of buying the Garratt (new) and additional bits he brought and you are still well in pocket over a new kit.

Will pop a set of LNER transfers in with the GWR ones but you will have to buy a sheet of lineing. Might be worth painting the wheels before fitting as well as the chassis

I think its best to keep both threads seperate, but thats just my opinion.

Archived