John - ditch that photo and have a look at these.

That is unfair on John as the scale is 2.5 times bigger and it uses state of the art gear, how much was it? I've just had another look £3,800.

John, I never mask wheels unless it's absolutely necessary, just put a bit of blue tack in the axle hole, then spray the primer after you have fitted the balance weights, then spray the green. Hand paint the black bits and do the lining, then clean up the wheel treads, start by scraping the paint off then very carfully use some cellulose thiners to get the last bits off.

OzzyO.

PS; I do mine in the lathe to clean up the treads. But at the moment all my wheels have been black.

Hey Ozzyo,

I'm not sure of the point you're making. It's no reflection on John, but the lining on that Triang model is both incorrect and incomplete. It's easier to see on the larger models. I'd rather have been able to find a picture of the real thing to refer him to, but none of sufficient resolution came up in Google.

John - the lining isn't white, it's white/black/white in most places. It also goes round things like mudhole covers, cab windows and other places that Triang one doesn't have.

Cylinders can be black or have a lined green panel depending on the loco you choose (4472 usually has black cylinder covers with red lining). If you look very carefully there's a fine red line on a lot of the black panels as well. If you have alocal model shop, have a look at a Hornby A3 if they have one in LNER livery. The representation is pretty good.

Now I'm not saying you have to do all of it, or do it to that standard - hell, I can't match the finish on a Loveless loco and probably only Larry among us could confidently expect to. But you need to be aware of what the real thing looked like before you can decide what you do and don't want to incorporate on your model.

John - ditch that photo and have a look at these.

Sorry Jonathan,

I've just seen the photo that you were referring to and yes ditch it.

post-8920-0-26549300-1338285504_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-82823000-1338285709_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-63144300-1338285727_thumb.jpg

If you go to Flicker and put Flying Scotsman in the Flicker search box and you will get over 7 pages of photo.

I know a couple of photos are of Tornado but the paintwork is just about the same.

OzzyO.

Jonathan, OzzyO many thanks for the help re Pics what fantastic models Jonathan absolutley superb, i fell off my chair when i saw the price :) my budget wont go that far.

And thanks again OzzyO for the tip on the wheels what i could'nt see you have opened my eyes ( why did'nt i think of thinners .

Spent a couple of hours doing the wheels and the tender concentration gone a bit so having a rest am working from home but playing hooky as i cant leave it alone, i've got the Bug ( and an empy wallet ) Very pleased with the wheels they look lovely.

post-14207-0-78288800-1338287428.jpg

Jonathan,

I cant keep away from that bloody link :)

Grasshopper John.

Start saving, sell the car, sell the house, get the wife three more jobs. You know you want one, if I had the money it would be Hush, Hush and Cock of The North.

OzzyO.

Start saving, sell the car, sell the house, get the wife three more jobs. You know you want one, if I had the money it would be Hush, Hush and Cock of The North.

OzzyO.

Been there done it OzzyO, I am past master at these 5 min wonders God they are superb though.

I could only justify IF 1) I had your skills 2) i could afford. :)

Of which i have neither.

Humble Grasshopper John :)

Fantastic thread John, and Looking forward to seeing the finished product, the wheels do looks good from the photos!

- Jack

Thanks Jack, welcome aboard. After seeing those loveless models i feel very inept. Its only my second Loco though so things can only get better Ha Ha ( famous last words ) anyway a little update, still handbrushing At the mo waiting for weekend to try a practice on airbrush.

Grasshopper John.

post-14207-0-06453400-1338366556.jpg

OzzyO is to blame, he gives me inspiration :)

Grasshopper John.

Grasshopper,

I did not give you the inspiration, you had it all the time. All I have given you is the kick up the ar$e to get you to improve the skills you have.

OzzyO.

PS; get rid of the gold on the smokebox door hinges and dart, black is the colour or silver at the most.

Grasshopper,

I did not give you the inspiration, you had it all the time. All I have given you is the kick up the ar$e to get you to improve the skills you have.

OzzyO.

PS; get rid of the gold on the smokebox door hinges and dart, black is the colour or silver at the most.

Yes you do but you dont know it, when i look at your thread there is a lot to learn Master.

He's right - these were polished steel. Someone does an 'oily steel' paint which is spot on for these.

I must admit i got carried away Jonathan, i went out to buy a fine brush and bought some copper paint as well. Looks like i need some steel colour.

Thx for keeping me in check.

Grasshopper.

Gave Body another coat yesterday eve, and am quite pleased with the outcome, took Ozzy O Master's advice and ditched the copper on firebox door :) will just leave it black, my wallet is empty and i'm not going to spend on something i dont even need a half a thimble of. So there.

Grasshopper John.

Well i painted the cab sides and wondered what the little holes were for i looked at my reference photos

( Thanks Jonathan ) and saw that they were handrails, so started again the old split pin type was a nasty fit but luckily i had some spares from the grange.

seems a shame to paint them but who am i to judge.

Grasshopper.

post-14207-0-81865500-1338544298.jpg

Hello John,

looking at your photos it look like you have painted the back of the tender black, it should be green. As seen in these photos.

post-8920-0-55913600-1338736818_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-53113800-1338736863_thumb.jpg

HTH

OzzyO.

Shall be as thow advise Ozzy O Master, Cheers, it's a bit of a nighmare paintwise every one i look at is different, some splashers are all green, others have the top painted black, ect.

Can anyone help I am struggling to figure out how the chassis fits onto the footplate? it seems quite crude not usual with this kit i cant see the wood for the trees.

Give me a hand.

Grasshopper John.

Hello all, i think i'm confussing myself here and need a bit of guidance, i have managed to fit frame to footplate with motor in situ and after some filling all fits.

This is where my confussion ls, the first picture shows what i have to work with, the second shows what i believe to be the Hornby gear, as you can see there are a lot more components with Hornby than what i have to work with, am i missing some parts? Also the cylinder block has some slidebars whereas the britannia ones do not.

and where does the the motion bracket fit in the first picture.

Please reply with simple answers please :)

seriously any help gratefuly appreciated.

Grasshopper.

post-14207-0-78595100-1338891881.jpg

post-14207-0-87236600-1338891909.jpg

Hello John,

in the top photo the motion bracket goes in the slot between the front and middle drivers.

In the bottom photo it looks like you have all the bits if you bring the motion bracket down from the top one.

These Triang / Hornby modes are more like a sketch than a photo. So some of the working parts will be missing. If you Google for the service sheets for this set of frames it may help you.

It's been a long time since I did any work on frames like them. So I'm a bit rusty on what goes with what.

OzzyO

Hello all, i think i'm confussing myself here and need a bit of guidance, i have managed to fit frame to footplate with motor in situ and after some filling all fits.

This is where my confussion ls, the first picture shows what i have to work with, the second shows what i believe to be the Hornby gear, as you can see there are a lot more components with Hornby than what i have to work with, am i missing some parts? Also the cylinder block has some slidebars whereas the britannia ones do not.

and where does the the motion bracket fit in the first picture.

Please reply with simple answers please :)

seriously any help gratefuly appreciated.

Grasshopper.

Ah! Grasshopper!

From the two photos you appear to have the connecting rod/ return crank / cross head/ piston assembly missing from the second photo. I am no expert in Hornby models but both the Brit and the A3 had, I think, the (what looks like a single slide bar and crosshead but is in fact the same as a GWR type but squished up. If you understand what I mean!!)

Regards

Sandy

Archived