Engineering, mighty impressive. Looks like we both have some time off today. Good luck with it

Cheers John praise indeed by a master of the craft.

Very nice job there, John

Thanks Mark, it was really experimental to see if i could fit the Triang coupling rods seeing as i'm using some other parts But not to be unfortunately, even with the washers they will not turn 180 deg on the wheel so going to have to use etched coupling rod as i've already been told by the pro's.

• RMweb Gold

The instructions suggest soldering, which is pretty common with kitbuilt locos. Put a scrap of thin paper behind the crank then solder. Once fixed the paper can be pulled out. This serves two purposes, it gives just enough clearance for free running and it prevents you soldering the crank to the rest of the rods ;)

Not much progress this week work interupted play :) and since i snapped the motion bracket had to wait for replacement anyway, been on a little spree again things bought this week,

Motion bracket

25w soldering iron + 145d solder ( Bought separatley )

transfers and nameplates ( no boiler bands though :( ) but they are being sent.

soldering iron stand

and lastly some of these which have good reviews and are quite reasonable i think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120930449245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Regards

John

John

Thought you had gone away on holiday as there have been no postings, before using the soldering iron tin it. usually before turning it on wrap some multicore solder arround the tip and turn on. Whatever you do dont clean the tip with anything abrasive as you will ruin the coating on the tip. Just clean the tip on a piece of wet sponge, dirty tips do not heat up fully

I will be interested in those rolling road things, as they look to be a cheaper alternative, with the possability of being re-gauged

Hello John,

no such luck re holiday, work interfered with my new hobby, also breaking the motion bracket set me back. Thanks for the tip on the soldering iron i will do as you suggest

I had a thought while working on it yesterday, can i solder the Return crank to the fixing bush rather than the crankpin? its a mighty tight fit when all assembled.

John.

I could not work out why i was getting some catching of the wheels then i noticed some scuff marks on the crank pin covers. So out with the file and now all is smoooooth :) it rolls very nicely on my work tray.

The wheels are fine although the pic says otherwise, oh and i have done both sides :)

Grasshopper.

post-14207-0-19820900-1340446158.jpg

I could not work out why i was getting some catching of the wheels then i noticed some scuff marks on the crank pin covers. So out with the file and now all is smoooooth :) it rolls very nicely on my work tray.

The wheels are fine although the pic says otherwise, oh and i have done both sides :)

Grasshopper.

Hello John,

it's daft question time, now you have fitted the covers to the axle ends, have you fitted the gear wheel to the axle?

The build of the frames looks to be coming along nicely.

Why not change your moniker to Grasshopper.

ATB

OzzyO.

Hello John,

it's daft question time, now you have fitted the covers to the axle ends, have you fitted the gear wheel to the axle?

The build of the frames looks to be coming along nicely.

Why not change your moniker to Grasshopper.

ATB

OzzyO.

Ah Master you are wise but i am learning, the gear is in place but loose.

Not a bad idea that OzzyO but i dont intend to be a grasshopper for long :)

post-14207-0-89515600-1340450389.jpg

Looking good there John. One of my favourite locomotives and nice to see a kit built example rather than a modified Hornby!

Cheers steve, hope you keep popping in.

Regards

John ( The Grasshopper )

Edit: What is CAD Steve?

Archived