Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

We were thinking barbed wire and attack dogs to give the area some authenticity...

Can you get DCC controlled electric fences?

Each visitor gets a unique address on entry to the show.

Any who get to close get zapped!! :devil:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More progress - other side wall half rendered. I've had a thought about adding an advertising hoarding on this wall, would it be a) visible to the passing public and b ) appropriate for the era ?

Another sketch-up doodle, showing an idea for the inside of the derelict building...

post-7025-0-78431700-1352984537_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

How high above the tow path will the back wall be ? If I left the windows out of the rear wall, would the local ne'er-do-wells be able to get in ?

I just thought it might be 'nice' to see partial views of the canal through the derelict building.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

The tow path will be the same approximate level as the base level as your yard. I'd leave the (green building) windows in but perhaps put bars (rather than mesh) over to reflect the flavour of the area.

I'm assuming from your sketch that the rear yard walls are about a scale 6-8' high. If the demolished building rear wall was a bit uneven in height perhaps the low bits could be made up with rusting corrugated.... We'll have to find a nasty dog to chain up in the yard, oh and some scale bits of glass to cement into the top of the walls!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, got that. There are no ground floor windows in the office buildings, and only one ( toilet) window in the rear wall.

The rear wall of the derelict part can be differing heights, with in fill of corrugated sheet, brick or other - I'll see what i've got.

• RMweb Premium

Question

How did they get the tie bars through the viaduct ? Did they close the line and dig the top out down to the arches ??

I have some big SDS masonary bits but nothing that going to get through a viaduct (that's the prototype)

A ?

• RMweb Premium

Well, the industrial viaduct is back in the clamps. After every session with the MEK I've found it prudent to clamp the structure flat while the solvent sets. I had to trash one complete set of beams as the darlings dried curved two days later. On the side I'm conducting experiments to see if it's the solvented sides of flat sheet that expand or contract. I did wonder if it was one particular combination of solvent / plastic, as I've never really had this trouble before.

• RMweb Premium

Question

How did they get the tie bars through the viaduct ? Did they close the line and dig the top out down to the arches ??

I have some big SDS masonary bits but nothing that going to get through a viaduct (that's the prototype)

A ?

Well trained rats?

These days you could directional drill a hole all the way through a structure. Not sure what they would have done in the 'old days' but they viaducts are not solid stone/brick. On many the piers and area above the arch rings is just loose fill. I'm thinking they were somehow drill as closing the route, lifting the track, digging out the fill, fixing the bar and putting it all back would close the line far a fair while. If you think of mines and quarries, they use some very long bits to drill the holes for explosives. So perhaps 30' side to side on a viaduct isn't too bad? Will be interesting if anyone on here knows how it was / is done....