Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

You feel I should apply a little 'weathering' ?

Of couse, Millwards would have an inside facility, so the only possible solution ( to add a signature feature ) would be as part of the derelict building next door, in which case I will need to leave some internal walls standing...

I need to cogitate...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Stu, I think for those that missed it, you should post a photo of your last carefully crafted toilet.

As requested, and despite Ian's protestations, here is a reminder of 'that' gentlemen's restroom...

post-7025-0-82550800-1353068033_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-31603300-1353068046_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-54106300-1353068111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of these brick arch viaducts are in fact hollow being constructed of smaller arches inside the structure. Some have access manholes in the track bed, others such as Cann Viaduct on the Plymouth to Tavistock line have a doorway in the arch structure.

This is to reduce the total weight imposed on the foundations can you imagine how heavy this structure would be if the arches were filled with soil or stone?

That is without considering the cost of providing the material.

Wally

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us be Privvy to your intentions.

Have to disagree on the Twyford period, I thing it's a bit earlier than that, more like his Shanks era,

or possibly even earlier, may be even in the T. Crapper period.

:tomato:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to report the fire escape arrived in the post today.

Initial examination seems to indicate a single flight will be too long to fit between the doorway and the front fence, and also too long between floor and door threshold, so a session of kit bashing will be needed...

Tonight's modelling should see the completion of the rendering on the left wall & the rear wall. This will enable me to gently rub down the walls prior to painting.

More thinking has gone on too......

Looking again at the style of the building, I believe it could be art-deco-ish and date from the 1930s. Which would mean by the 70s it would be about 40 years old, and thus showing signs of wear ( :) ).

So I can attack the paint on the walls & gates with gusto, to produce the required 'used' look.

I'm also hoping to make a start on the ablutions room too...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more viaduct.

When I made the timber frame I imagined that I would use plasticard to make the flares and then re clad in stone and brick. What I had missed is that with the pillers flaring on all four sides it was going to be murder making two pieces of plasicard meet in the corners on a variable curve !! I realsised that I had to have a solid shaped base on which to clad. I used two part wood filler which I knew sticks to wood but not plastic so I produced a mould that was the opposite curve out of plasticard, spread the filler pushed on the mould then clamped so that all of the filler oozed out. 20 mins later, snap off the mould and clean up with some fine sand paper.

post-8894-0-35714200-1353098426_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, didn't quite finish the side wall last night, still got the back one to do as well, but taking my time to ensure a reasonable job.

(NB if any of the BCB team, or anyone else, thinks my work is not up to the quality required, please, PLEASE, do say something !! - I'm not looking for praise here either, just don't want to hear ' good' if 'bad' is what's needed !! )

However, I did manage to make a start on the gent's 'toilet'...

post-7025-0-28913300-1353147643_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, it dawned on me the other day that we've not really placed this and other buildings and structures in context of the layout as a whole. So here we go, the location of Stu's building. The layout is viewed from the lower edge of the sketch.

post-6675-0-88749400-1353162673_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Right, it dawned on me the other day that we've not really placed this and other buildings and structures in context of the layout as a whole. So here we go, the location of Andy's viaduct. The layout is viewed from the lower edge of the sketch.

post-6675-0-15729900-1353162766_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Right, it dawned on me the other day that we've not really placed this and other buildings and structures in context of the layout as a whole. So here we go, the location of Flavio's buildings. The layout is viewed from the lower edge of the sketch.

First, the Oldbury Road building:

post-6675-0-56051900-1353162925_thumb.jpg

Now the Ryders green building:

post-6675-0-21837400-1353162923_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Right, it dawned on me the other day that we've not really placed this and other buildings and structures in context of the layout as a whole. So here we go, the location of Mark's signal cabin. The layout is viewed from the lower edge of the sketch.

post-6675-0-77837900-1353163299_thumb.jpg

• Like 4