Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

2 headers + 1 mortar join = 1 stretcher

3 soldiers + 2 mortar joins = 1 stretcher

Therefore bricks are made in the proportions of 23:11:7, counting mortar joins as 1

Use Paint in zoom mode, (1 pixel = 1 unit as above) to create your own brick paper with long panels ready to fold showing two sided of one brick. Cut closers to make the bond symmetrical can also be drawn.

Not as laborious as you might imagine using the wonders of cut 'n paste.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stu, SEF do a special sheet of brickwork just for the awkward bits. I got one the other weekend at Uckfield show....

I hope you were able to disguise the purchase of said sheet as a pie or tart of some kind, don't want folk getting the wrong impression!

• Like 1

Stu, when I said in post #87 "no more opinion" I meant that the design parameters were decided by then and there was no need for further suggestions about what could / should be included. Sorry if it came across as if I was "miffed".

Having said that, you say your gate posts need an arch. If you are meaning a brick arch, can't help. But if you are thinking of a fabricated structure there is one adjacent to the lower of the Cliff Rly stations at Bridgnorth which may give you a clue or two. Enter "4 Underhill Street Bridgnorth UK" into Google street view maps. The sign says Perry and Phillips and tops a couple of brick piers about the same dimensions as yours. (If you use them, or the sign arch, I'll be copying your methods, as I need them in my attempts to portray the Cliff Railway !!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don, no problems in what you said or how you said it !

Yes, this sign will be a 'wrought iron' one in a gentle arch affixed to the top of the brick posts.

I've also had approval from the management for use of the name.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have fabricated the sign this evening from Slater's 5mm lettering and some square section strip.

I've also scoured my stores of embossed plasticard sheef and have nothing in the correctly identified English Garden Wall bond. So I either hand scribe the bricks or use another bond and hope no-one spots the error...

Gates next....

I like the name, any chance we can lose the "B'ham" bit though; after all we are modelling the black country and not Brumajum

That was my fault. I was just quoting a real business name to evidence the 'no-nonsense' school of marketing, prevalent in the mid 20th century.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having ummed and arred about how best to replicate the scribed blockwork in the rendering on the office walls, I finally made a decision - I'd add them all individually......

I'd counted the number of 'rows' of blocks on the front wall (19) then divided these into the height of the model wall, which, following iD's accuracy standards, gave a block height of 3.55mm. The small bag of 'chads' I have just happens to have paper piece sizes 3.5mm high - too much of a coincidence to ignore, so out with the pva & away we go.

This is the overall view of the work bench - which will of course be complete clean & tidy before SWMBO sees it, as apparently it's sometimes needed as the kitchen table....

post-7025-0-77815500-1352546945_thumb.jpg

A close up showing the slightly uneven block laying, but a gentle sweep with some fine emery paper should see all the highs flattened off before painting.

post-7025-0-16929100-1352546954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Well, as my son was up all last night with a stomach bug, I've decided it's safer not to play with knives today. Instead I've finished the BCB article for the January 2013 edition and am now making a start on the February one. Hopefully I'll be finished for the film too....

• Like 1

Brilliant use of a building half a mile from my grandmothers house, and for use in a model railway setting. The front of the building faced onto Oldbury Rd, and to the rear of the building until the late 1960's to the best of my memory there were railway sidings with cobble setts around them. The ungated level crossing across Oldbury Rd from the Stour Valley line at Albion Station was still in until mid 60's.The location of the tracks can be seen on the Alan Godfrey Maps Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Greets Green from 1902, but not all the lines survived from then.. The last time I went past on a double decker bus that could see over the walls (20 yrs ago) the tracks and cobble stones were still visible in places. Hope this helps you with the layout plan. I can send you an E-Mail copy of the location on the map if you like.

• Like 1