The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

London 2012 Torch Relay

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

One lucky torch bearer has struck lucky today by putting their torch on a well known auction site.£200 to buy.

I live quite near to where the 8000 torches were manufactured in Exhall,Coventry so I'm interested on this items final price.I wonder how much they cost to make.Quite a profit for someone.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330735585904&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

At least they are not saying mint or unused.

Good luck to then if people are stupid enough to cough up that sort of money.

We ought to find the owner and put them in charge of the economy for showing that degree of initiative.

Bernard

Here's silly me thinking it was the same torch carried around throughout the country. Can't say I am keen on the gimmicks, hot air ballooning etc, is there any need for it? Though if the wind should take the "torch" away from its next changeover point that could be interesting.

Here's silly me thinking it was the same torch carried around throughout the country. Can't say I am keen on the gimmicks, hot air ballooning etc, is there any need for it? Though if the wind should take the "torch" away from its next changeover point that could be interesting.

It's already gone out once, and that was back in Greece. I don't know whether that was Fate's view of the Greek economic crisis, or the prospects for the London Olumpics.

Guest Belgian

I thought all these 'sportsmen' were in the Olympics or carrying the torch as an 'honour', yet here they all are putting them on e-bay to try to exploit the poor saddos who want to pretend they were amongst the chosen ones by paying an astronomic sum for the rather cheap-looking tin thing and a secondhand sports outfit.

Nevertheless, I commend them for their enterprise in taking advantage of the saddos . . .

JE

• RMweb Gold

A London 2012 spokesperson has commented on the sale of Olympic torches and uniforms on Ebay and elsewhere. The spokesperson said: "The Torch and uniform are the Torchbearer's to do what they want with, we hope they find a good home."

I thought all these 'sportsmen' were in the Olympics or carrying the torch as an 'honour', yet here they all are putting them on e-bay to try to exploit the poor saddos who want to pretend they were amongst the chosen ones by paying an astronomic sum for the rather cheap-looking tin thing and a secondhand sports outfit.

Nevertheless, I commend them for their enterprise in taking advantage of the saddos . . .

JE

They could be raising money for their charities of course ...

• RMweb Premium

Just taken a look at when the torch relay is coming through my neck of the woods. Apart from the fact it has to cross Woodgate Level Crossing which most of the time is shut (no way will we delay trains to accomodate the torch and the preceeding procession!!) it is also going along one the narrowest busiest roads in the area at exactly the same time all the schools are chucking out and the local physo driving mums in their over bull barred 4x4's come along driving like nutters.

Expect the Olympic Torch to be seen live on the BBC embedded in the front of some swearing mother's BMW X5!!!

They could be raising money for their charities of course ...

Of course but this generous person is donating 10% to Save the Children and the other 90% of the £20k to £150k to Save my Bank balance. That one isn't enthusiastic or prank bidding; just greedy.

• RMweb Gold

Of course but this generous person is donating 10% to Save the Children and the other 90% of the £20k to £150k to Save my Bank balance. That one isn't enthusiastic or prank bidding; just greedy.

Another MGB I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Just taken a look at when the torch relay is coming through my neck of the woods. Apart from the fact it has to cross Woodgate Level Crossing which most of the time is shut (no way will we delay trains to accomodate the torch and the preceeding procession!!) it is also going along one the narrowest busiest roads in the area at exactly the same time all the schools are chucking out and the local physo driving mums in their over bull barred 4x4's come along driving like nutters.

Expect the Olympic Torch to be seen live on the BBC embedded in the front of some swearing mother's BMW X5!!!

It won't be much different here - it's coming slap-bang through the middle of the town just after 09.00 blocking the main road routes. I reckon at that time of day there'll be tailbacks about 1/2 - 1 mile long on all 5 road routes leading into the town and it will probably take the rest of the day to clear them. I dunno about going down there to watch the torch go by but it will definitely be amusing to watch the traffic for a while afterwards once all the local coppers have hopped it to teh cake shop.

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from watching the Olympic Torch Relay arriving in Exeter. A wonderful Carnival atmosphere all afternoon.

Didnt experience any traffic chaos as everyone knew it was happening, and either came to see it or stayed away. Ok, I know its Sunday, but only one short stretch of road leading to the city centre destination (Cathedral Green) actually closed, and rolling roadblock on roads used for the relay, so disruption kept to a minimum.

General permission given for children to be late for school on Monday morning if they wish to see the torch leave the City.

A great day you cynics!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

The thing that puzzles me is just how much of the Torch Relay is listed as "Torch in Transit" presumably a white one!

Quite a few places on the route the torch only travels a few hundred yards with a runner and then goes in transit again.

Not too far from where I live the "Earlswood" leg is about 1.25miles before it is in transit to Redditch town centre about 4 miles as the crow flies. I wonder how much of the 8000 miles it is being carried by a runner?

Keith

A great day you cynics!

Dave.

I gather that the torch will pass close to where I live, but this cynic doesn't intend to turn out to be reminded that it's on its way to London - yet again.

(Edited for punctuation slip)

• RMweb Premium

A lot of the absurdly high bids are clearly hoax bids submitted to show this as the farce that it is. These sx figure sums are mythical and will not be changing hands.

DT

Archived