The CLC through Stockport

on the weekend of the Stockport model railway show, John Whitehead took me to the remains of Tiviot dale to have a look, can post pics but they're not much good quality and samey. 

was surprised how small the station area seemed, whole area is a bit depressing.

I would have loved to have watched trains at the Heaton Mersey area like in those shots, trains in all directions.

Re post 196:

Michael Delamar

colour shot of Stockport tiviot dale station building but captioned wrong

The first six shots in this string, 177-01 - 177-06 are of Godley Junction. The next group, before you get to Tiviot Dale may be Heaton Mersey? This is another great collection, thanks very much for posting Michael (and Mrs Sutherland).

best wishes,

Alastair M

Invisible ink again!

In my 1960 shedbook I note that Heaton Mersey had 3 class 08 shunters allocated to it. Never seen any photos of them, and I dont think that they even made it to George St goods, let alone Tiviot Dale station. Numbers were D3852-4 inclusive for the record. Anone got any images out there??

• RMweb Premium

Foxline's Scenes from the Past 39: Heaton Mersey Shed has a partial view of D3771 on shed in 1967 with another shed view with an 08 in the distance.  Bob Pixton's recent Glazebrook to Godley book has a couple of views featuring an unidentified 08 near Brookfold box at Godley Jct.  As Heaton Mersey used to supply the N5s/J10s to shunt here could this be a 9F 08 (although I note that the caption claims the 08 is from Gorton)?

Simon

...  Bob Pixton's recent Glazebrook to Godley book has a couple of views featuring an unidentified 08 near Brookfold box at Godley Jct.  

Simon

Thank you for that, now on order from Amazon.

The EE shunters used to deliver the concrete trains to Northenden, I can remember watching one shunting at the yard, but I don't know from which direction they came ie Edgeley Jc or Tiviot Dale which might have a bearing on which shed they belonged too (but then I'm pretty sure 9B didn't have any of the EE shunters). I can also remember a Black 5 doing the same.

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From 1960 to 1965 Stockport Edgeley shed (9B) had EE locos D3771/2  allocated to it as well as  D4145 briefly  in '64. The first 2 used to shunt the yards on the east of Edgeley station, and Adswood sidings, from memory. Jubilee Sidings at Heaton Norris was a 9A shunter duty at that time.

Also 12010,12024 were shedded at 9B in 1965, though I never saw them; it could have been a 'paper' transfer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good evening.

I reside in Liverpool and regularly take the train to Manchester and Yorkshire which pass through Glazebrook Junction and has appeared very overgrown for a number of years 

Recently I have noticed workmen clearing the vegetation and the track coming from Partington/Cadishead is now visible. The permanent red signals are free from branches.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I understand that this line was last in use for freight about 15-20 years ago

Edited by pork_pie_manc

Good evening.

I reside in Liverpool and regularly take the train to Manchester and Yorkshire which pass through Glazebrook Junction and has appeared very overgrown for a number of years 

Recently I have noticed workmen clearing the vegetation and the track coming from Partington/Cadishead is now visible. The permanent red signals are free from branches.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I understand that this line was last in use for freight about 15-20 years ago

the track was cut and lifted just under the footbridge that crosses over the yard around 2000 the whole track was lifted down to British tar products sidings by EWS this was done with out telling the signalman on duty who hurriedly had to get an emergency possession to protect the cut track ! the lifting was only spotted by myself coming  on shift passing the low loaders with the track panels on them good job we didnt have anything to run round in the sidings !

the track was cut and lifted just under the footbridge that crosses over the yard around 2000 the whole track was lifted down to British tar products sidings by EWS this was done with out telling the signalman on duty who hurriedly had to get an emergency possession to protect the cut track ! the lifting was only spotted by myself coming  on shift passing the low loaders with the track panels on them good job we didnt have anything to run round in the sidings !

Thanks for the reply. It was very strange seeing life on this section of the Manchester to Liverpool track which was being cleared. I wonder if new track is being laid in the future towards the Coal basin ? Maybe go one further and repair the Cadishead bridge to recreate the link towards Stockport and Manchester (but I somehow think that is going to be impossible 30 years on  :no: ) 

It's all housing and light industry down there nothing for a train to go to.

Over the ship canal the Shell land is about to be turned over to a massive housing development so unless they are planning a through route there will never be a reopening of the bridge and I am sure if would come under vociferous objections from the residents of the new housing developments that edge onto the route.

IIRC I am sure some of that land was actually put up for sale by the remants of the BRB.

Where there will be track laid is to Port Salford but that is a new line from the Chat Moss route.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it may be a bit of a cheek, but through this thread I would like to make a plea. For a few years now I've been after a copy of the Foxline Publications 'Scenes From The Past' seies book on Heaton Mersey Shed, if anyone has a spare copy to sell, or knows where to get one, please let me know. I used to spend a few happy days spotting there in the last days of steam -tar.

I know it may be a bit of a cheek, but through this thread I would like to make a plea. For a few years now I've been after a copy of the Foxline Publications 'Scenes From The Past' series book on Heaton Mersey Shed, if anyone has a spare copy to sell, or knows where to get one, please let me know. I used to spend a few happy days spotting there in the last days of steam -tar.

Paul, you have a PM.

Edited by pH