The CLC through Stockport

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise there was a stone terminal down there!

Did some of the Cheshire lines last night from northwich to Stockport with the PLP test train, also went to the other end of the line at hazel grove but via Stockport station

still haven't had a job that actually takes me onto the northenden to hazel grove bit, that's my latest goal!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is also nice footage in one of the suggested links at the end of the above video of plumley and northwich

Taken from the side of what looks like a very new M6, oh how I wish it was that quiet now!

Also the 8F going over the viaduct at northwich is going somewhat faster than the 20mph that trains have to travel over it nowdays

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

There is also nice footage in one of the suggested links at the end of the above video of plumley and northwich

Taken from the side of what looks like a very new M6, oh how I wish it was that quiet now!

Also the 8F going over the viaduct at northwich is going somewhat faster than the 20mph that trains have to travel over it nowdays

Is this available on video taken at Northwich   thanks.

Edited by paul 27
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The picture is undated but the engine lacks a warning panel and it has the original windows. What is really interesting is that it is hauling passenger stock, could it be on a test train from Derby? 

Regards

They regularly worked class 1 and 2 trains between Derby and Manchester in 1959-60. 

They regularly worked class 1 and 2 trains between Derby and Manchester in 1959-60. 

Looking at the headcode disc, it's class 2. Anything coming from Derby would surely come via Peak Forest and Cheadle Heath

Edited by 62613

Metrovick through Tiviot dale.

11139309956_3245d3b5f4_b.jpgD5709 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

In the Summer 1959 timetable, at least, there were a number of Derby - Manchester local trains routed via Stockport. Judging by the condition of the loco, I think this is a normal service train rather than one on test.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Michael and Peter suggest most services over the Peak or off the Hope Valley ran via Marple and Tiviot Dale before taking the South District line to Manchester Central. St Pancras expresses and the odd Sheffield and Buxton service (e.g. the celebrated 17.22 off Central hauled by 45705 Seahorse for a while in the mid-60s and it's earlier incarnations) were the exception travelling via Cheadle Heath. If you were interested in speed you didn't travel from Derby to Manchester via the stopping service! However with new or overhauled locos regularly appearing in the 50s and early 60s it would have provided variety!

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To demonstrate that D5709 wasn't a one off, see: http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page52.htm

Which part way down the page has separate views of D5714 and D5706 on similar services at Great Rocks and Dove Holes tunnels respectively in 1959, and a 1960 view of D5712.

Simon

Edited by 65179