The CLC through Stockport

• RMweb Gold
  • Like 1

I know this is about the CLC lines - but is there much film available of the MR Manchester Central - CLC junction section through Didsbury and Heaton Mersey village?

Just wondering...

There's a few minutes on Steam Through The Peaks Vol. 54.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see someone risking life and limb for a "now" comparison shot, interesting as it maybe!

Mike.

No need to. The tunnel mouth was, I think, just to the right of the Decathlon store.( That's the big tin shed to the south of Georges Road)

Google earth, search co-ords 53°24'39.47" N   2°10'13.07" W

For the Wellington Road end try 53°24'40.89" N   2°09'55.10" W

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't see someone risking life and limb for a "now" comparison shot, interesting as it maybe!

Mike.

No need to. The tunnel mouth was, I think, just to the right of the Decathlon store.( That's the big tin shed to the south of Georges Road)

Google earth, search co-ords 53°24'39.47" N   2°10'13.07" W

For the Wellington Road end try 53°24'40.89" N   2°09'55.10" W

I've just got back from Stockport. I had a few minutes to kill there this afternoon so I went and got the comparison shots.

Firstly, the site of the bridge over Georges Road

post-9767-0-13917300-1405380095_thumb.jpg

Then looking back from the site of the photo of the Class 40 approaching the tunnel in a previous post.

post-9767-0-52426200-1405380101_thumb.jpg

Then turning to the point where the Class 40 was leaving the tunnel

post-9767-0-87311700-1405380121_thumb.jpg

A bit closer, the fence on the right was in a previous post

post-9767-0-85116700-1405380129_thumb.jpg

The top of the western portal just visible in the trees

post-9767-0-89263600-1405380137_thumb.jpg

The top of the portal at Wellington road North

post-9767-0-11110400-1405380147_thumb.jpg

The blocked off eastern portal

post-9767-0-16043000-1405380155_thumb.jpg

The site of the Goods Shed at Wellington Road

post-9767-0-85100700-1405380107_thumb.jpg

The entrance to the coal yard from Railway St

post-9767-0-76906100-1405380114_thumb.jpg

All pictures C E Steele 2014

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

passing under the other end of this along cadishead way the last couple of days have seen a new set of stairs cut into the embankment  upto the disused canal viaduct and several men in hi viz clearing trees and foliage from around the approach to the bridge on the cadishead side they were on the partington side this afternoon doing the same this  anybody any ideas as to why  

Edited by peanuts

passing under the other end of this along cadishead way the last couple of days have seen a new set of stairs cut into the embankment  upto the disused canal viaduct and several men in hi viz clearing trees and foliage from around the approach to the bridge on the cadishead side they were on the partington side this afternoon doing the same this  anybody any ideas as to why  

I've heard something about reinstating the line into the Shell Carrington site. Two things; it's not Shell anymore, of course, but an industrial park; am I on the correct line?

I suspect that they are just removing the foliage as they might be worried that it will damage the foundations of the viaduct. The viaduct was declared unsafe decades ago, so nothing is going to be going across it without a lot of rebuilding work.

• 2 months later...

Researching this stretch of line at Baguley, can anyone show more pictures from same area

post-23267-0-46966000-1422825970_thumb.jpg

Had a huge surprise seeing this picture.  If I am not mistaken, the footbridge in the background links Royal Oak with Leaton Avenue, Baguley?  There was a time I lived close to the line and used to take pictures from Shady Lane bridge.  Unfortunately only one survived the various moves of house and is much poorer than the other shots on this thread. They/it were taken with a cheap Woolworth's half-frame camera with a wire viewfinder when I was 12/13yo and fuzzy at best. Such is life. The picture is of 48329 hauling a freight.

post-23267-0-52754300-1422825370_thumb.gif

Looking East toward Northenden I think.

Edited by SilverF1
  • Like 2

Interesting  all  this,  for  a  short  while  approx 1952  I used to  attend  Royal  oak  School, Baguley, ,, The  school field  was  right  by  the  railway  line  so  obviously  we  got  a  good  view of  the  trians! 

My  very vague  memories  were of  the  ICI  stone  hoppers  heading  to  Northwich,  cannot   say  i remeber  anything siginifcant  about  passenger trains.

I seem to remeber  a  triple  headed  freight  one  after noon,   4f + 8f  the  third  I cannot  remember.,  I  have  a  very  vague  memory  of  a  goods  train passing with  a  round headboard attached  stating  that it was  the last  working of  something but  what  I  havn't  a  clue.

Me  and  a  mate also  travelled  from  Stockport  Tiviot Dale  ( a dark  &  Dismal  station!!) to  Manchester  Central   once  or  twice  just  for  the  laughs.

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

Yes you are right about the footbridge, roughly what year is the photo of the 8f, is that a road bridge in the background, don't recognise the location,

anyone else have any photos.

Taken 1957/58 ish. Picture taken from Shady Lane bridge, which is near the roundabout to the Timperley bypass. I think the bridge in the background would be the old Butchers Lane bridge. The only development in the area at the time was the old Metropolitan Vickers place and Timpson's HQ off what is now Soutmoor Road. Everything else around was all green fields From Baguley/Royal Oak to Timperley. HTH

• RMweb Gold

as a driver the line from skelton to northenden through baguley was known as "bomb alley" due to the supposed number of objects you would get thrown at you or see dumped in the cess, that footbridge in the picture above is an enclosed cage now

i never got 'bricked' along there thankfully

as a driver the line from skelton to northenden through baguley was known as "bomb alley" due to the supposed number of objects you would get thrown at you or see dumped in the cess, that footbridge in the picture above is an enclosed cage now

i never got 'bricked' along there thankfully

I never heard of it happening in the 50's/early 60's. Sad reflection of modern life. I went back a few years ago and wished I hadn't. Spolied the good memories I had.

• RMweb Gold

I never heard of it happening in the 50's/early 60's. Sad reflection of modern life. I went back a few years ago and wished I hadn't. Spolied the good memories I had.

There were plenty of places where it did. Unfortunately the houses round those areas were demolished and the occupants dispersed all over the place.

• 3 months later...

Just come through Stockport on the M60 (clockwise) this evening. Just east of the Wellington Road bridge to the south of the motorway (google 53.411499, -2.163567), there's some excavations going on and there appears to be a sandstone retaining wall being uncovered. To my eyes, it looks to be in a line with the 2 tunnel mouth locations, so would this be something to do with the line?

I do enjoy this thread even though it's not my end of the Cheshire Lines but does give me some glimpses of what traffic ran along it's lines. I am currently doing research on Chester Northgate Station and although I have plenty of photographs of the station and surround approaches I would like to see if I can get any drawings of the station building good shed and signal box for modelling them . Does anyone where I might have any joy finding such information. I have been to the NRM and checked through their records but with no luck. There must be some drawings of Cheshire Lines building kept somewhere ???

• 5 months later...

Hi, there is a proposal to build a new link road from the A6 to link with the A5145 at the Travis Brow/George's Road junction and onwards to the M60 Junction 1 roundabout. This is in part to relieve the traffic pressure on the existing link roads George's Road to the north and Heaton Lane to the south. The proposals can be seen here in this link under section 800 http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/communitypeopleliving/newapproach/investingingrowth/towncentretransport/. The new road will cut across the former Kwik Save store site now just abandoned waste ground and therefore at this point be situated right above what is the tunnel shown in the photos earlier in this thread. The new link road will mean the removal of the tunnel structure beneath and pass underneath the viaduct and then drop down onto a new junction on Travis Brow near to the ambulance station site. Drawing 801 provides the detail for the proposed link road http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2978/8803/998531/1177152/0527_DF4_TCAP_COL_801. Whether it will get built or not remains to be seen...

HTH Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hi, there is a proposal to build a new link road from the A6 to link with the A5145 at the Travis Brow/George's Road junction and onwards to the M60 Junction 1 roundabout. This is in part to relieve the traffic pressure on the existing link roads George's Road to the north and Heaton Lane to the south. The proposals can be seen here in this link under section 800 http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/communitypeopleliving/newapproach/investingingrowth/towncentretransport/. The new road will cut across the former Kwik Save store site now just abandoned waste ground and therefore at this point be situated right above what is the tunnel shown in the photos earlier in this thread. The new link road will mean the removal of the tunnel structure beneath and pass underneath the viaduct and then drop down onto a new junction on Travis Brow near to the ambulance station site. Drawing 801 provides the detail for the proposed link road http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2978/8803/998531/1177152/0527_DF4_TCAP_COL_801. Whether it will get built or not remains to be seen...

HTH Cheers Paul

Nice,

more road works around the M60.