The CLC through Stockport

At one time - we are talking long ago - there were bay platforms where the tenders are. I can only think they were used by the London Road-Tiviot Dale locals that seem to have been taken off around the time of World War 1. (If I recall correctly, they re in the 1910 reprint of Bradshaw.)

I still think TD was a beautiful piece of architecture, but it had no hope in the 1960s. Ironically, were it but available today, it would (if the money were but there) provide a most useful link for passengers from Marple to Stockport, and a fairly useful supplementary route to Manchester. Anyone who doubts this should try driving (or using a bus) between Stockport and Marple in the rush hour or even its shoulders.

• Like 2

I still think TD was a beautiful piece of architecture, but it had no hope in the 1960s. Ironically, were it but available today, it would (if the money were but there) provide a most useful link for passengers from Marple to Stockport, and a fairly useful supplementary route to Manchester. Anyone who doubts this should try driving (or using a bus) between Stockport and Marple in the rush hour or even its shoulders.

It would also have made extending the Metrolink into Stockport a hell of a lot easier/cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

these are in my work thread but i thought worthy of a view here too

my job yesterday started at northenden jn, was a bit gutted as it should have started at chinley and got me a ride over the line from there (which ive never done), but as a plus side i got to have a look in the box

A686721C-F072-4663-9EB1-7372A866ACAF.jpg

AE07062C-C073-43F0-A7FB-C6A11A047AA5.jpg

cheshire lines backplate to the levers

BBEF1348-A3D7-473C-AAF5-211BAB79436B.jpg

looking up from the ground floor, toilet on the first level, interlocking room on the 2nd (all electric now so no wires or bars stretching down anymore) and the cabin on the 3rd level, its weird being in the box though as the road passes by just below the window so you forget you are so high!

A4DBBD54-823E-4F72-9A03-43F88A786306.jpg

one 'legend' that was dismissed on my visit was that the interior is painted sky blue as the signaller is a man city fan HOWEVER the guy on duty said "it used to be, im a red (united fan) and the other 2 signallers in the shift are blues (man city) and they arranged to have it repainted while i was on annual leave" "the day i came back the other signaller met me at the bottom of the stairs to relieve as he said he was in a hurry to get away, when i got up stairs i just went what the f*** have they done the b*******" on which he could hear the other signaller downstairs laughing his head off and shouting "city, city, city" back up to the cabin!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12

these are in my work thread but i thought worthy of a view here too

my job yesterday started at northenden jn, was a bit gutted as it should have started at chinley and got me a ride over the line from there (which ive never done), but as a plus side i got to have a look in the box

A686721C-F072-4663-9EB1-7372A866ACAF.jpg

AE07062C-C073-43F0-A7FB-C6A11A047AA5.jpg

cheshire lines backplate to the levers

BBEF1348-A3D7-473C-AAF5-211BAB79436B.jpg

looking up from the ground floor, toilet on the first level, interlocking room on the 2nd (all electric now so no wires or bars stretching down anymore) and the cabin on the 3rd level, its weird being in the box though as the road passes by just below the window so you forget you are so high!

A4DBBD54-823E-4F72-9A03-43F88A786306.jpg

one 'legend' that was dismissed on my visit was that the interior is painted sky blue as the signaller is a man city fan HOWEVER the guy on duty said "it used to be, im a red (united fan) and the other 2 signallers in the shift are blues (man city) and they arranged to have it repainted while i was on annual leave" "the day i came back the other signaller met me at the bottom of the stairs to relieve as he said he was in a hurry to get away, when i got up stairs i just went what the f*** have they done the b*******" on which he could hear the other signaller downstairs laughing his head off and shouting "city, city, city" back up to the cabin!

it was actualy "lazer blue " which was the rather garish shade that "citeah " were playing in at the time all would of been late 90s during thier sojourn in the third tear 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

shots of the Brinnington area in 1968.

the m60 now cuts through this section so I take it this section of motorway was a later addition to the part past Tiviot dale.

7138565797_d18785762b_b.jpg

D75xx Brinnington 30.4.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6935317908_3a754ba017_b.jpg

48026 Brinnington 4.5.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

can see that the right hand distance arm for the route to Romily has been removed from the signal.

6935315374_d6146fc22d_b.jpg

45392 Brinnington 4.5.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6935315374_d6146fc22d_b.jpg

45392 Brinnington 4.5.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6935318634_89e65667f6_b.jpg

92160 Brinnington 4.5.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

7081393623_163c6e6209_b.jpg

6935320540_66a77bcff9_b.jpg

I was out in the area today and took three shots for comparison. The first is at the tunnel mouth, the others are about where the Class 25 is in George's first picture.

37922797712_7c64f671c8_c.jpg

Brinnington Tunnel by Charles Eric Steele, on Flickr

37922796252_aacd72bdd8_c.jpg

Cheshire Lines Trackbed Looking West by Charles Eric Steele, on Flickr

37244226974_41c02fa28e_c.jpg

Cheshire Lines Trackbed Looking East by Charles Eric Steele, on Flickr

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126523829#zoom=6&lat=3855&lon=8391&layers=BT

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114581263#zoom=5&lat=8502&lon=9995&layers=BT

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114581809#zoom=6&lat=7056&lon=11218&layers=BT

The bottom link is very unusual as it shows the site of the 'Manure Siding' opposite Baguley East signal cabin. I have yet to find out why this siding was put in and who was (or were) it's customers.

There are others too

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126523829#zoom=6&lat=3855&lon=8391&layers=BT

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114581263#zoom=5&lat=8502&lon=9995&layers=BT

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114581809#zoom=6&lat=7056&lon=11218&layers=BT

The bottom link is very unusual as it shows the site of the 'Manure Siding' opposite Baguley East signal cabin. I have yet to find out why this siding was put in and who was (or were) it's customers.

There are others too

Regards

Manure could be another name for Night Soil and Sewage!

Mark Saunders

Manure could be another name for Night Soil and Sewage!

Mark Saunders

Manure was a general term for anything a farmer or horticulturalist added to the soil to improve it. It didn't, and doesn't, have to be poo. It could, for example, be sand.

The local soil was, and is, very boggy, I know, I gardened on it for a fair few years. Any additive would be welcome. Lime, for example, to neutralise the acidity. Sand to open it up and bond the soil together. Compost is likely to have been acquired locally.

It might not be a coincidence that Wythenshawe Hall was very close to these sidings and the Tatton family owned most of the land nearby as well as the Hall.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Manure was a general term for anything a farmer or horticulturalist added to the soil to improve it. It didn't, and doesn't, have to be poo. It could, for example, be sand.

The local soil was, and is, very boggy, I know, I gardened on it for a fair few years. Any additive would be welcome. Lime, for example, to neutralise the acidity. Sand to open it up and bond the soil together. Compost is likely to have been acquired locally.

It might not be a coincidence that Wythenshawe Hall was very close to these sidings and the Tatton family owned most of the land nearby as well as the Hall.

Regards

There were still movements of night soil post war!

I doubt that sand or lime would qualify as manure in railway terms.

Mark Saunders

I think these sidings were discontinued in fifties, perhaps before. I haven’t yet seen a photo of Baguley East signal box with them in use and the WTT shows the daily pick up goods passing by the site post nationalisation.

I have never seen any photos of this signal box in fact any photos of this area are scarce if you don't include the station.

• 1 month later...