Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A Tidy Bench Shows a Tidy Mind

• RMweb Premium

You definitely look well equipped there Peter, but be careful of making it too tidy, it'll look like you're not doing any modelling!!!

I like the positioning of the reflector spotlights, are they suspended on a gantry?

All the best,

Dave.

Guest Natalie Graham
A tidy bench shows a tidy mind

I think my bench needs intensive psychoanalysis. :(

• RMweb Premium

That photo bears a scary resemblence to my GP's surgery... "the doctor will see you now. Relax, it will all be painless...we have all the latest drills, awls and cutting tools to make a clean job of things!!"

Seriously, Peter, how often does your workbench look that tidy, with all the tools in one place. I try my best, but stuff gets everywhere!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Can someone tell me, what on earth is that space under the tools. :dontknow:

Brian

Yes, you don't see too many of those hand drills these days.

Kevin Martin

I wish I could have a work bench like this. Instead of spending loads of time trying to find the tools and the little bits of kits that get swallowed forever by the monster lurking somewhere in the modelling shed.

Sometimes I try to tidy up but the same monster must get to work while I'm not there and its just like it was before when I come back.

Jack

I wish I could have a work bench like this. Instead of spending loads of time trying to find the tools and the little bits of kits that get swallowed forever by the monster lurking somewhere in the modelling shed.

Sometimes I try to tidy up but the same monster must get to work while I'm not there and its just like it was before when I come back.

Jack

The top is a piece of Contiboard, profiled to fit the wall. The base is an ex-kitchen whitewood cupboard, with one cupboard door permanently removed to provide a kneehole when sitting down. The drawers and shelf space have their own clutter, but include a power tool, a multimeter, and more O&S.

The overhead lights are two battenholders (with R80 60watt reflector bulbs) screwed to a scrap length of PSE. A flex is plugged in to a ceiling fitting. They provide excellent close support, but I feel the day will come when my tungsten filament bulbs will not be replaceable.

More heavy jobs now get done on a Workmate which replaces the car in the garage. I solved a major longterm storage problem with a ruthless clearout, and trips to Hospice shop and council dump.

PB

Slightly tangential, in an office long ago where one the directors got of on a 'clear desk' policy jag; there was a muttered undercurrent of 'tidy desk, tiddly mind' and 'clean desk, clean out of ideas'...

Or, if you prefer, "If a cluttered desk signifies a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk signify?"

• RMweb Premium

This was the state of my workbench this morning. Admittedly it has been like this for at least the past four years.....

For bonus points, how many different classes of engine can you identify amongst the mess? :blush:

you need some 5S, a bit of shadowboarding and a visual management area ( for loco names etc) - think Lean - think Mean......

you need some 5S, a bit of shadowboarding and a visual management area ( for loco names etc) - think Lean - think Mean......

Shall I run that up the flagpole and see if it flies? Or park it, but leave the motor running?

Archived