Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

According to Kernow's Facebook the 33 and 128 have arrived.

I just had a look, I hope that is an old image, with the incorrect livery !!!!

I asked Kernow Model Centre if the shades of blue on the livery was incorrect would I be able to return the model for a full refund, and they said yes.

But I do seriously hope Heljan got the livery right at the production stage.....heres hoping.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

I asked Kernow Model Centre if the shades of blue on the livery was incorrect would I be able to return the model for a full refund, and they said yes.

But I do seriously hope Heljan got the livery right at the production stage.....heres hoping.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

I've just seen it the image on modelrailoffers site. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is what it should look like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/7875942454

Here's hoping that the livery is correct, else I'll be another one sending it back to Cornwall. A photo of one appeared in Model Rail quite recently, and that looked more correct than the image on the site.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

After the original sample - based on a photograph - was clearly too light, we were contacted by the gent who actually painted the real thing. The colour which he says he used was the paint which is used to paint the water pipes on diesel locomotives. Our model was revised to this shade and agreed by him as being correct. Heljan have merely done as we instructed them. Trying to match liveries to photographs - and trying to judge the correct colour of models from photographs - is not a good idea. In this instance we have advice from the 'horse's mouth' so I don't think we can get it any more accurate than that. I suspect that the image on the website is the original sample.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Apparently the original intention was to paint the upper parts grey but it was decided that would look too dull, so he went to the stores to find an alternative and the 'water pipe blue' was available so that's what got used.)

I've just seen it the image on modelrailoffers site. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is what it should look like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/7875942454

Here's hoping that the livery is correct, else I'll be another one sending it back to Cornwall. A photo of one appeared in Model Rail quite recently, and that looked more correct than the image on the site.

Err, that link takes you to 55994, not 55993, which is what the model is of. 

Maybe this picture is better:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d210bob/6545632735/in/photolist-aYq5yP-bbSjXV-aYq5Ex-bpkqmf-bpkqgu-bCfj5n-bpkqeL-9gtFRA-eQ9Xcy-7Lh129-ffG3kt-bB3tMT-8Je3S4-kEWhrT-dTzeAa-aYq6rM-fk7jzx-8bs5rA-botNXj-dG9NgS-aquqkK-dAmUJ8-eaLkAm-egWZTT-ebumnc-dWPudG-bBoopn-9rwtTs-botA9b-dk6n42-9VDTGW-8sxFvn-fi5d6A-gW1R8m-bcDskP-dWHPPB-jHCkmC-drxdvp-drxpt9-dxA33x-a8LyLq-a8LyNd-9s92MW-9Ytsxr-9s5XdR-9j76ws-aX9bQk-hLqyTt-boHKCB-igfpmF-a2f6oy/

Yes, I know, but it's the same livery.

Really hate to be a party pooper, but unless I'm looking at different link, the one in the picture passing Rugby is in all BR blue, whereas '93 uniquely had the light blue upper body half. Maybe that's why you  think Heljan have got it wrong, perhaps?

Really hate to be a party pooper, but unless I'm looking at different link, the one in the picture passing Rugby is in all BR blue, whereas '93 uniquely had the light blue upper body half. Maybe that's why you  think Heljan have got it wrong, perhaps?

55994 at Rugby in the link I provided is in the same livery as 55993. I've found photos of 55993 in this livery in which the upper blue looks as dark as 55994 in the link I provided. The darkness/lightness of the upper blue varies with the light.

Just see my post at 531. The link in Mel's post confirms the shade as applied to 55993. I won't speculate as to whether 55994 is the same, or not, as we didn't discuss 55994 with the painter. We merely took instruction as to what had been done with 55993.

CHRIS LEIGH

A double delivery from Heljan - our limited edition Red Star Class 128 parcels car and green Class 33/0 with small yellow panel are in stock at Kernow MRC. You still have time to order but be quick as there's just 300 Class 128s and 500 Class 33s.

A double delivery from Heljan - our limited edition Red Star Class 128 parcels car and green Class 33/0 with small yellow panel are in stock at Kernow MRC. You still have time to order but be quick as there's just 300 Class 128s and 500 Class 33s.

Hi Chris,

Is there any chance of a pic of one of the production Class 128's so we can see the final colour?

Thanks,

Gordon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Is there any chance of a pic of one of the production Class 128's so we can see the final colour?

Thanks,

Gordon

There is a link here with pictures:- 

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/40653/8999_Heljan_MR_Class_128_Diesel_Parcel_Unit_number_55993

Thanks goes to MR- I'm very much looking forward to receiving my version!  :good:  

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

After the original sample - based on a photograph - was clearly too light, we were contacted by the gent who actually painted the real thing. The colour which he says he used was the paint which is used to paint the water pipes on diesel locomotives. Our model was revised to this shade and agreed by him as being correct. Heljan have merely done as we instructed them. Trying to match liveries to photographs - and trying to judge the correct colour of models from photographs - is not a good idea. In this instance we have advice from the 'horse's mouth' so I don't think we can get it any more accurate than that. I suspect that the image on the website is the original sample.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Apparently the original intention was to paint the upper parts grey but it was decided that would look too dull, so he went to the stores to find an alternative and the 'water pipe blue' was available so that's what got used.)

There is a link here with pictures:- 

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/40653/8999_Heljan_MR_Class_128_Diesel_Parcel_Unit_number_55993

Thanks goes to MR- I'm very much looking forward to receiving my version!  :good:  

Cheers

Chris Leigh seems to suggest that model may be the original sample which was too light?

The Models top half looks quite a lot lighter than it looks in the links that other guys have put up to view on the real DMU.... colour...

Jamie

Some of the links show 55994 not 55993. The model is finished according to the advice of the guy who painted the real thing.

yeah I was assuming that was the pre-production sample which was going to be darkened a bit

It was darkened quite a bit but it is always difficult to judge - especially from photographs, and real paint samples have to be lightened because they will otherwise look too dark on a model, so the whole thing becomes very subjective. We took a judgement that the second sample was good and the guy who painted the real thing agreed. Certainly there are pictures of 55994 with a much darker blue on the top half - it looks to be Rail blue let down with a bit of white, but this was not the colour scheme we were working to. 55993 had the pale 'water pipe' blue on the top half. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris, thanks for your time in replying to the livery questions, will there be a picture of one the models available anywhere soon on the web ?

Happy Modelling

Craig

We don't have any 128s in the office yet. I've ordered a couple and they are on their way up from Kernow. If I get them tomorrow I'll try taking a couple of pics and see if I can get anything suitable to post. The sample looked great but it was a body only (a chassis was borrowed from my green one for the photos). it is a great livery - I shall certainly have one although its not right for the area or era that I model. From e-mailing the guy who painted it, it was one of those local exercises that didn't follow any of the livery rule books. The GWR crests probably were not too difficult to find around the time of GWR150 but how they got the GWR-style PARCELS SERVICE lettering, I'm not sure. Still it works for me and gives a unique vehicle that's perfect for a small-run limited edition. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived