Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

I see that the 33 has still got those erroneous white boxes around the headcode characters.

And it's not so easy to break in as it used to be in order to correct that.  Early iterations has a pop-out headcode glass and with paper inserts of your choice; application of a fine mapping pen also removed the white borders.  The current units are sealed requiring a safari to the innards to rectify.

Mine is in the mail.  While I ended up swapping the MR one for the mainstream with rounded corners to the yellow all other aspects would surely be the same.  I remain unconvinced by the shades of green and off-white used and by the grille and roof detail.  Final judgement will be made when a parcel arrives from Camborne and I can see the loco for myself.

Mine arrived this morning. The upper panel really is in Provincial light blue. I photographed it outside in the sun on a calibrated Nikon D200:

post-5972-0-01278600-1395398982_thumb.jpg

I then recoloured it to show what it should look like, on a hardware-calibrated monitor:

post-5972-0-04529600-1395399066_thumb.jpg

It speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Still awaiting my 128, I am unsure whether to even open the box, or just send it straight back for my refund ?

I am certainly not spending £136.00 on a model that is not in the right shade of livery.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Mine arrived this morning. The upper panel really is in Provincial light blue. I photographed it outside in the sun on a calibrated Nikon D200:

attachicon.gif210314-000 55993 original.jpg

I then recoloured it to show what it should look like, on a hardware-calibrated monitor:

attachicon.gif210314-000 55993 correct livery.jpg

It speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Yep, I agree, your 'correct livery' picture looks exactly like I would have expected and the model looks too light to me. Its a shame, I had been looking forward to the model since it was announced, but the light blue just looks off and I'm not paying £140 on something that doesn't look right to me. Better to spend £100 on a standard issue model and get the airbrush out!

Can I ask Dibber25 a question? 

Has the Bachmann Class 450 in SWT Blue been approved for a limited run? I remember talking to Ben last year that MR were waiting for confirmation of prices, before making a decision. But with Ben leaving I don't know what is happening now. Just incase, i have left aside money for two 450s. ;) 

Still awaiting my 128, I am unsure whether to even open the box, or just send it straight back for my refund ?

I am certainly not spending £136.00 on a model that is not in the right shade of livery.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Craig, when it arrives, at least open the box and take a look with your own eyes before making your mind up. I've bought models in the past which according to RMWebbers have had "appalling" livery errors, only for them to look just right in my eyes. I do think this one might be a pup, but only you can be the judge of that. Pete.

Hi Pete, I understand what you are saying....but what is the point ? I am a bit annoyed that I won't get my return postage paid, as it will have to go back as Special Delivery, so I will be £10.00 or so out of pocket for an incorrect Model.

Craig, does it have to go back Special Delivery? Can't you open it, reseal it if you don't want it and return it by Signed For rather than Special Delivery? It's around a fiver cheaper.

Edit: The Kernow website says in the case of returns: "the customer may have to pay the cost of return postage", which is a bit misleading... do you or don't you?

• RMweb Premium

I don't believe an item has to be returned by special delivery just because it arrived thus.  It is however in the sender's best interests to take due care and it may be a prudent move to consider a tracked service.  "Wrong shade of colour" does not make an item unfit for purpose though a change of mind and the right to return are enshrined in the UK's Distance Selling legislation.

FWIW if I don't like the colours (or indeed don't like the whole thing sufficiently that it warrants a return) of the impending 33 it will cost me the greater part of the value of a new loco to send it back ......... 

Craig, does it have to go back Special Delivery? Can't you open it, reseal it if you don't want it and return it by Signed For rather than Special Delivery? It's around a fiver cheaper.

Edit: The Kernow website says in the case of returns: "the customer may have to pay the cost of return postage", which is a bit misleading... do you or don't you?

But if it gets Damaged ???

I really don't know. If it were me, I'd be tempted to send it signed for. If you re-use the packaging it arrives in, then surely that must be substantial enough to protect a model in transit. Your call, but I'd be p*s*ed off at being out of pocket at all. Does Kernow or Model Rail not have any comment on this? As Rick says, it's not unfit for purpose in that it works as it's meant to. We bought a hoover a while back that was shown as red on the box but turned out to be pink. That doesn't mean that it doesn't vacuum floors... I think the issue here is one of disappointment and as has been pointed out, you have every right to return it even if not mechanically faulty or otherwise broken.

I don't believe an item has to be returned by special delivery just because it arrived thus.  It is however in the sender's best interests to take due care and it may be a prudent move to consider a tracked service.  "Wrong shade of colour" does not make an item unfit for purpose though a change of mind and the right to return are enshrined in the UK's Distance Selling legislation.

FWIW if I don't like the colours (or indeed don't like the whole thing sufficiently that it warrants a return) of the impending 33 it will cost me the greater part of the value of a new loco to send it back ......... 

Hi Gwiwer, if the model cost me £75.00 I would get the air brush out and have a go at correcting the colour, but when you spend £139.95, I would at least expect the correct colours on the model ?

If you pre-order a settee from the many outlets that are available, and you ask for dark blue and it turns up light blue, I expect to be fully reimbursed, even any out of pocket expenses.

My model was a pre-order, and the model has been subject of many discussions about the shades of blue being used......and supposedly the bloke who painted has had his two penneth thrown in as well....so who is it down to that the model is a bit of Pup ???

Best regards

Craig.

Can I ask Dibber25 a question? 

Has the Bachmann Class 450 in SWT Blue been approved for a limited run? I remember talking to Ben last year that MR were waiting for confirmation of prices, before making a decision. But with Ben leaving I don't know what is happening now. Just incase, i have left aside money for two 450s. ;)

An application has been made to Bachmann but it was made only recently - by me. So far as I am aware the project was not officially put forward to Bachmann for pricing until then.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I can't find the picture anymore, but the upper blue colour looks pretty much the same as the pre-production version. Has Heljan made a mistake and used the pre-production colour rather than the colour agreed afterwards by MR?

I can't find the picture anymore, but the upper blue colour looks pretty much the same as the pre-production version. Has Heljan made a mistake and used the pre-production colour rather than the colour agreed afterwards by MR?

No. See post no. 531. 

• RMweb Gold

A wall of silence so far. I've emailed both about it, with the photos I took.

what you have done with the pictures above is very clever and agreed it does go to show the shade of blue may be wrong when you compare your edited picture to this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/d210bob/6545632735/ which looks a lot closer to your edit than the original model however there will be many people who will quite simply enjoy getting hold of one and running it on their layout for the novelty factor irrespective of the perceived livery error

obviously the real unit isn't around anymore to compare to so lets just say "time clouds our memory" therefore many people will remember seeing 55993 in this livery, right down to the same shade of blue being correct (even the bloke who painted the real unit and collected the paint tins from the stores says it's correct but what did he know!!), i mean its not a million miles off is it?

what you have done with the pictures above is very clever and agreed it does go to show the shade of blue may be wrong when you compare your edited picture to this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/d210bob/6545632735/ which looks a lot closer to your edit than the original model however there will be many people who will quite simply enjoy getting hold of one and running it on their layout for the novelty factor irrespective of the perceived livery error

obviously the real unit isn't around anymore to compare to so lets just say "time clouds our memory" therefore many people will remember seeing 55993 in this livery, right down to the same shade of blue being correct (even the bloke who painted the real unit and collected the paint tins from the stores says it's correct but what did he know!!), i mean its not a million miles off is it?

It is for my money - £139.95 & return postage !!!

A wall of silence so far. I've emailed both about it, with the photos I took.

Not really surprising. Kernow won't comment - it's not their place to do so. Model Rail has commented in so far as my post 531. I don't have anything to add, other than the fact that I work for Model Rail Monday-Wednesday, so the earliest I will see any e-mails is next week. I'm currently dealing with these comments in my own time. I have checked with one of my colleagues and my understanding regarding the returns policy is this:

If the item is received damaged or faulty (ie, loose, broken parts or defective mechanism) and you decide to take a refund rather than a replacement, then you are entitled to a refund of of your return postage.

If you decide you don't want the item (ie because you don't like the colour) you are entitled to return the model for a refund of the cost of the model but not refund of the return postage.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that the Contra Proferentum Rule mean that any ambiguity in a contract should be settled in favour of the consumer?

there will be many people who will quite simply enjoy getting hold of one and running it on their layout for the novelty factor irrespective of the perceived livery error

And as one of those people, I'd like to thank Chris and everyone at Model Rail who made it happen. The combination of an obscure prototype in a gloriously OTT 80's livery is irresistable to me and AFAIC it's a keeper :)

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree Jim.  Some of us are quite good at remembering some colours and some of us are useless at remembering any colours and in any case I never saw the original so I can't say which it is.  But it is interesting to compare the pic you linked with the description Chris gave in Post 531 as  the upper blue in that pic isn't too far off 'pipework' blue as I look at it on my 'puter, it could look different for others..  

Maybe if I see one at Ally Pally tomorrow I might be able to judge - according to my colour memory - how close I think it is to pipework blue and if it is pretty good as a match I will have an answer which satisfies me and which on the basis of Post 531 that will answer things. Having said that the important thing to remember is that if you are not personally familiar with the original colour, and have a good 'colour memory, then a photograph will be a poor guide as you simply can't guarantee its rendition of a colour, especially blue, because of the huge number of variables involved from level of natural lighting through film inconsistencies all the way to 'puter monitor variations.

Judge only be comparison with the real thing - not by what you think the colour of the real thing happened to be.

Archived