Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

It's most likely the 64xx chassis, which was only released last year. If you don't want the chassis and P4 wheels, let me know....

The chassis arrived today, its the 57xx as far as I can see 7'3" x 8'3" wheelbase, no coupling rods or break linkage also missing both screws that hold the motor to the gearbox

P4 wheels and what I believe is CSB springing and sprung plunger pickups also well painted. Do I need another test loco ?

I can pick up the grub screws at the weekend, I must have a set of Gibson Coupling rods and I do have some Mainlytrains brake gear linkage.

The wheels pick up power OK, they all are a tad under gauge and I guess not quartered correctly

Now do I just take the gear box and motor out, and sell the rest on, or have a second P4 GWR loco (how about a Keyser body on it?) 

Or could I squeeze a set of EM wheels on it ? think it might be a bit tight !!

Had a good weekend, firstly I bought what I thought was a Wills M7 loco, happens to be either a scratch or Eames type loco body on a Wills whitemetal chassis £27 inc postage, needs motor and coupling rods

From one of the Expo EM  traders I bought 2 MRRC 005 motors and a Slimline motor, all unused 2 still in boxes, all for £10 in total (they sell for this each on eBay). One 005 fits the above loco, I have another chassis that takes the slimline (though just sold it on eBay, Finecast C class whitemetal as I bought an etched one of SEF) But will keep it as I might have another Wills kit that needs it

Also from the members stand bought some T9 drivers, and off the trade stand the DJ Wheelwrights EM gauge Block and wing rail gauge/jig.   

The Ultrascale "Castle" webbed wheelsets have turned up. They will be mixed with the "Star" wheelsets I acquired last year, to produce correct sets for:

4003 (which has a webbed trailing pair);

5043 (which has a non-webbed centre pair)

Worked out well in the end.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

I do like it when something 'mundane' turns out to be a brass/nickel job!

I did have a look at that one John....but....need.....like.....want...etc..!..

I just assumed the body was whitemetal and the chassis was brass, might even be scratch built, but will go with my other 60's collection. My poor mate, first I thought I got him an unbuilt Wills M7, but it was an E2 in a M7 box, then thought I got him a Wills built M7 to rebuild. Then he went and bought a Hush Hush off of Dave on the SEF stand on Saturday 

Another upgraded Kitmaster Mk.1 and an improved Bachmann Mk.1 from the same seller as the previous Kitmaster. All P4, sprung, and with Sergent buckeyes that actually drop. £22 the pair.

Hope there'll be more; might end up buying the lot!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another upgraded Kitmaster Mk.1 and an improved Bachmann Mk.1 from the same seller as the previous Kitmaster. All P4, sprung, and with Sergent buckeyes that actually drop. £22 the pair.

Careful, or you might have competition, if he posts to Spain that is!!!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bu****.. missed that...!

Edited by Re6/6

Just found another Highlevel chassis, this time for a Pug, £20.50 inc postage.

Looks to be P4 again, Mashima motor, last one had plunger pickups and CSB springing, this one just looks to be sprung on non driven wheel. Again no coupling or connecting rods

The last one was not only well constructed, but also painted to a high standard. If the wheels are knackered, the chassis, motor and gearbox are worth it

Also with it seems to be a Jamieson type 0-6-0 chassis, with a set of Hambling's wheels and an X03, Might be a j50 ? 

Bu****.. missed that...!

The first one has arrived, but two of the glazing units have dropped out. The roof is removable, so it should be an easy job to press them back into the bodysides.

I can report that the corridor connections and buffers are sprung, and the buckeyes really do drop!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The first one has arrived, but two of the glazing units have dropped out. The roof is removable, so it should be an easy job to press them back into the bodysides.

I can report that the corridor connections and buffers are sprung, and the buckeyes really do drop!

Double b*****   :rolleyes:!  

Double b*****   :rolleyes:!

Here it is, as it arrived:

post-6879-0-80022400-1495032707_thumb.jpg

Two panes dropped out this side, so the roof needs removing to get at the interior.

post-6879-0-89728900-1495032971_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-24604100-1495033037_thumb.jpg

The buckeye is triggered by a tiny wire handle, which can be set up or down. Buffers have their own rams and springs, and the corridor connectors move independently. Ingenious.

Two more Mk.1s to the same specification are on the way.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here it is, as it arrived:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170517_151835.jpg

Two panes dropped out this side, so the roof needs removing to get at the interior.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170517_151658.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170517_151756.jpg

The buckeye is triggered by a tiny wire handle, which can be set up or down. Buffers have their own rams and springs, and the corridor connectors move independently. Ingenious.

Two more Mk.1s to the same specification are on the way.

Bloody cheque book modellers :jester: .

Mike.

Just found another Highlevel chassis, this time for a Pug, £20.50 inc postage.

Looks to be P4 again, Mashima motor, last one had plunger pickups and CSB springing, this one just looks to be sprung on non driven wheel. Again no coupling or connecting rods

The last one was not only well constructed, but also painted to a high standard. If the wheels are knackered, the chassis, motor and gearbox are worth it

Also with it seems to be a Jamieson type 0-6-0 chassis, with a set of Hambling's wheels and an X03, Might be a j50 ? 

The two chassis arrived, both are fine, the Pug is also missing a wheel, no issues as I guess these are Gibsons and will be at a show in 10 days time. Chassis runs well when power is attached, missing a few bits, coupling and connecting rods, brake gear, plus motion bracket/guard, most of which I can either obtain or fabricate.

The other chassis is an old Eames type 28.5 x 32.5 mm. Eames brass wheels 15mm. X03 motor which did work but now smokes

Good value at £20.45 including postage, my 4th P4 loco/chassis slowly being pushed into P4, thoughts towards a small shunting plank layout, as I have a 94xx, 57xx and 2 Pugs (one very basis and home made).

The other chassis has 15 mm wheels, so will look to something for my vintage collection

Again a happy bunny 

• Like 3

post-1131-0-99622400-1495353354.jpg

This is the Eames chassis  29 mm x 32 mm wheelbase with 15 mm wheels  Possibly an early attempt for a J72?. Both motor and chassis have had a bit of a clean and oil and now works. Will need the chassis soaking in some form of spirit to fully dissolve old congealed oil. And then a bit of work needed on attaching the motor. Any idea what to use to soak the chassis in please

post-1131-0-46912400-1495353369.jpg

Here is the Pug 3 wheeled chassis. A testament to the design as it works. Its in P4 so deed a new wheel set from Gibsons

I guess I will have to make up the connecting and coupling rods, plus its missing brake gear and a metal guard for the coupling and connecting rods

Do I buy a Hornby body or an old Airfix kit to up grade ?

post-1131-0-35756700-1495353380.jpg

• Like 3

Hoping to have unearthed another gem, well not a GEM but a Southeastern Finecast Q1, Described as professionally built, but with a motor/gears meshing issue

Looking at the photos it looks to have been well made with an etched chassis with all the bells and whistles, The motor and motor mount are the D13 by the looks of it, I have both the earlier SEF etched and cast motor mount and a newer etched motor mount which could replace it, or if it is well made a Mashima motor and a Highlevel gearbox

Looking at the prices new the body and chassis are £94, wheel set £49 and motor and gears £29 = £173  I paid £35 + £4.85 P&P. I do have 3 others (K's, Little Engines and a SEF) with the SEF being un-built. The K's & Little Engines models from memory need rebuilding, I guess I will be able to sell the SEF (keeping the Markits wheels) for an amount the same or a bit higher to release funds for another project as I am always looking to upgrade my models and happy to swap un-built items for well made ones. I am tempted to build one chassis to EM gauge, I may have 2 SEF examples as I can recollect a slightly damaged SEF etched chassis.

• Like 2

....I do have 3 others (K's, Little Engines and a SEF) with the SEF being un-built. The K's & Little Engines models from memory need rebuilding, I guess I will be able to sell the SEF (keeping the Markits wheels) for an amount the same or a bit higher to release funds for another project as I am always looking to upgrade my models and happy to swap un-built items for well made ones. I am tempted to build one chassis to EM gauge, I may have 2 SEF examples as I can recollect a slightly damaged SEF etched chassis.

I think the SEF kit is basically the Little Engines kit, with some minor changes.

The loco arrived today as described, extremely well built, but as reported has a meshing issue, when working it runs freely. The motor is an Anchorage D13 with a motor mount, will pick up a Highlevel gearbox at the weekend and use a Mashima motor

This loco with an easy to rectify minor issue, which if not professionally built certainly built to a very high standard, with an etched brass chassis cost £35 + postage, today a GEM J83 with a whitemetal chassis went for £53.56 + postage, not too well made and orange peel finish and I think a K's motor.

I am well pleased, as all I need is a £16/18 gear box and a motor I have in the spares box.

• Like 2

These wagons - less than a pound each if you discount the postage and the one I really wanted, the D & S refrigerator van top centre, I've paid more for as a single piece. The others will all scrub up and either be used or sold.

A great scoop, the etched van is worth it on its own, see some K's wagons and vans and I think an Airfix cattle van. You could seil one or two items and have the rest for free

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a diecast model lorry last week from Hong Kong. It was described as 1/76 scale but a couple of days later I received an e-mail from the vendor telling me that they had made an error and that it was in fact 1/80 scale. They did offer a full refund but I opted to accept and I am now awaiting delivery.

Quite a few sets of P4 Ultrascales coming this way, and not taking eight months either....

I ordered a diecast model lorry last week from Hong Kong....

There's some pretty interesting road-related model stuff coming out of Hong Kong - especially in the street furniture department. They're even producing working scale replicas of the Euro standard traffic lights used in Hong Kong, although they've only managed to get down to 1/64 with these, not 1/76 or 1/87

Edited by Horsetan