RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

£38 for a very used Roco Br.01 in DR condition with Wagner deflectors; German seller proved far cheaper than anyone in Britain. I'll be breaking this one for spares, as I want to stick the chassis block under my Weinert 01-Neubaukessel body kit....

I've seen a lot of Pre-DCC Roco kit coming up cheap in the last few months, all Excellant runners, same tooling as used today, just in the £40-75 bracket..bargain.

Just picked up a CSD T699 for £75, and that's a recent tooling, £150 new, even at today's brexit dropping currency that's not a bad deal.

Edited by adb968008

Something I have wanted for a few years is a k's/Nucast LSWR/SR Adams Radial tank, trouble is so does so many other modellers and I did not want to spend lots on it. This week on Tuesday just before 6 pm a Nucast model was up for sale and the bidding had reached £31, I put in a cheeky bid of £40 not thinking I had a chance of winning. As it happens got it for just under £35 with an extra £4 for postage. Looks reasonably built, downside is its in BR livery, also states a non runner which normally means everything needs a quick clean

If it is the Nucast version there will be no K's wheels or motor plus a better quality chassis. There is no photo of the chassis but I think the wheels are Romfords. Am looking forward to seeing what arrives

• Like 1

Bid on two new generation Hornby B12s, put an £85 bid on each not expecting to get either and ended up with both, one at £83 and one at an unbelievable £62.

Must be the summer holidays, perhaps with a touch of midweek blues/nearing payday etc

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of Pre-DCC Roco kit coming up cheap in the last few months, all Excellant runners, same tooling as used today, just in the £40-75 bracket..bargain.

It seemed cheaper to buy this as a source of spares than buying individual spares from Roco's parts department. I don't use DCC anyway.

......even at today's brexit dropping currency that's not a bad deal.

Current rate offered by local high street money changer here is £1 = 1.06 Euro, so it looks like we'll be heading for parity, more-or-less.

Something I have wanted for a few years is a k's/Nucast LSWR/SR Adams Radial tank, trouble is so does so many other modellers and I did not want to spend lots on it. This week on Tuesday just before 6 pm a Nucast model was up for sale and the bidding had reached £31, I put in a cheeky bid of £40 not thinking I had a chance of winning. As it happens got it for just under £35 with an extra £4 for postage. Looks reasonably built, downside is its in BR livery, also states a non runner which normally means everything needs a quick clean

If it is the Nucast version there will be no K's wheels or motor plus a better quality chassis. There is no photo of the chassis but I think the wheels are Romfords. Am looking forward to seeing what arrives

The loco arrived today and very pleased, on the down side whilst the loco was in its box there was not enough bubble wrap to stop the model moving in the box, both buffer beams have been bent, easy fix, the nut in the smoke box which front fixing bolt screws into is loose/ not there. Otherwise a nicely built and painted kit.

Plus side

Nucast chassis, Romford wheels and a Mashima 1224 motor

It was stated as a non runner, its all down to a motor mount with a set of Romford gears which has not meshed, nothing that cannot be sorted using a Highlevel Road Runner gear box will not fix.  I guess I could fettle the motor mount into working, but I doubt if it would ever be anywhere near as good as a Highlevel one. Will alter to EM gauge at the same time. My plan is to build my version of Bodmin General in preservation, recently all I have bought has been SR locos may have to rethink perhaps Bodmin Town as it might have been, trouble with both is it would have to be a mirror image of either as I need the end of the line on the left and would prefer the station building at the rear

Looking at what I have, which basically is a well built kit that is available would cost about £90, wheels about £25 motor £20 all for just under £40 plus a new gearbox at £14/£16. Ready built except for a couple of hours changing the motor mount over.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

Just picked up a Wills Finecast GWR King etched chassis for £16.50 plus postage, no idea if it includes either brake gear or a tender chassis. Not too bothered as I have a couple of Wills kits with whitemetal chassis, can always buy a tender etch from SEF for about a fiver, The currant price for the SEF King chassis is £37.50, so reasonably pleased and as I will not be going to a show where SEF are attending till the spring, I would be paying postage anyway

The £38 Roco Br.01 Altbau wreck turned up the other day. The previous owner renumbered it in DR condition as 01.154:

post-6879-0-46566400-1504082708_thumb.jp

It's remarkably complete and responds to a 9v PP3 battery touching the flanges. Even the directional headlamps still work.

The chassis block and cylinders will be reused under a DB Neubaukessel body kit that has been waiting for just this sort of thing.

The tender turns out to be the "T34" rather than the "T32" I was after, so a new body would be needed if I wanted to attach it to 43.001. The other alternative is to keep it in "T34" condition, detail it, and give it to the Neubaukessel project.

This leaves the Roco loco body spare, so I will keep that aside as a reference point. Despite its great age, it still looks horribly good if you discount the rather crude headlamp mouldings and oversize handrail knobs.

• Like 3

Picked up a lot comprising of 009 coaches, vans and wagons, mostly built, many up painted, a few without wheels only a few had couplings

8 coaches, 2 being bogie, 6 vans and 27 wagons, half of the wagons being quarry size the others being larger, plus 1 diesel loco body

Just under £48 inc postage, think I can live with just over a £1

A recent lot of 15 items went for £76, OK all had wheels and couplings, but cant help wondering if more could have been got had the lot been split into smaller lots. With the one I bought the photos were awful, there were 2 batches of unpainted wagons one of 8 another of 6 which if head either decent photos and or sold as two lots would have commanded this price on their own

Still very pleased with it, 

• 2 weeks later...

Bid on this awhile ago at the starting price of £6.99 - and there it stayed till the end!

post-10377-0-05954500-1506102645_thumb.jpg

Getting rarer now, these Garrick kits are well cast, and this one still has its transfer sheet.

The contents were still wrapped in the page of a 1980's telephone directory.

post-10377-0-11542500-1506102662_thumb.jpg

Casting cleaning up nice - the major hurdle with this will be where the rear dome meets the roof - lots of 'gap'!

post-10377-0-59348800-1506102673_thumb.jpg

Les

• Like 4

One for the 0 gauge boys

Several sets of older style Slaters wheels. 3 pairs of 4'5"  4 pairs of 3'7" drivers  5 pairs of 3'3" drivers. 6 sprung hornblocks. A couple of chimneys and a few other turned fittings. A Buhler motor

Plus a chassis frames for an 0-4-0, with the remains of a cab and bunker and top of a saddle tank plus 2 buffer beams with sprung buffers.The chassis has a 38 mm wheel base (5'6"?)

All for £20.55 inc postage

I may put a set of wheels on eBay to recoup some of the funds, the 3'7" wheels may fit a P class (with worn down wheels) and the 29mm wheels could fit something a bit bigger. OK the wheels need quartering, and in some cases a bit of a clean, but I have paid less for this lot than the cost of a new pair of wheels

The motor is similar the this one but in better condition, Any ideas please

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUHLER-MOTOR-FOR-O-GAUGE-MODEL-RAILWAYS-MODELLERS-TESTED-AND-FULLY-WORKING/272598036895?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47510%26meid%3De5f3d4842eed4840ab23e0283176f09d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D262885093835&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

In my drive to obtain a fleet of locos on etched chassis I picked up a Southeastern M7 chassis built but no motor, gears, drivers or coupling rods,

I have a set of Romford/Markit drivers for the loco and think I have coupling rods, have motors but will need a decent gearbox rather than a motor mount. On the face of it paying £29.95 + postage is slightly cheaper than £32 plus postage and its built, but a nicely made and painted body is thrown in with the deal, the full kit is £89.90 plus postage

Looks like I will have the odd older Wills M7 for sale with a white metal chassis, and guess they will fetch about a similar amount, fair swap I think

Loco arrived and better than expected, well painted just needing the odd black paint touch up, only issue no backhead which is not noticeable and a driver and fireman will certainly hide this from any prying eyes. One step is bent and may need replacing as I guess it will snap off if reshaped. Issue with the chassis mounting bolt also, thankfully easy to solve 

In two ways the chassis is better than expected, has coupling rods, most of the etched spacers not used. as the (hand built) pickup spacer will need to be removed and a little work is needed on the brake hangers I will un-do the chassis and re-space to EM gauge, will need a Highlevel gearbox where the gear wheel is under the motor (Road runner or Load hauler)

Very pleased indeed, perhaps I should have written "A SEF M7 body built and painted for £29.95 plus postage, which includes parts for an etched chassis

• Like 3

Just picked up a lovely BR Maroon Triang princess for £20 plus postage, looked presentable in the pictures but arrived properly boxed with original packing rings and almost mint except for minor paint loss on the chimney.

Goes well with the even cheaper Hornby B12 that was described as modified/damaged but instead was weighted, repainted (very well) and detailed.

• Like 1

Seem to be getting good buys on books lately, earlier bought 3 books from Bodmin General shop for £7.50

Today a copy of the Historical Wagon Drawings book by F C Roche arrived with 36 plans (4 x locos, 26 x wagons & 6 coaches) Some blueprints, some plans printed on thin card. the wagon blueprints have 4 wagons per page, 2 of the coach plans are from BSL LNER kits. An A3 size plan of a LNER A1/A3 which I may frame. Anyway £6.71 inc postage, with the cheapest copy on Amazon at £7.29 + £2.80 postage well pleased. Most of the wagon and coach plans will be put on eBay in sets for a nominal fee. May not be the best plan book but will add to my collection

Last night I won a copy of the Bradford and Barton Bodmin to Wadebridge Branch line Special for 99p + £1.22 postage Amazon want £19.95 + £2.80, though on eBay one on auction at £2.50 + £2.80. link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUTHERN-BRANCH-LINE-SPECIAL-NO1-BODMIN-WADEBRIDGE-railways-/292285298386?hash=item440d8fb6d2:g:sS0AAOSw8btZhbWJ

Anyway it will add to my collection of SR west country branch line books and is a branch line I am interested in, and only 21p dearer than a sister book I bought at Bodmin. Perhapps I should look for more books on ebay

• Like 2