Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• 2 weeks later...

the other 2 loads of magazines arrived today. Just a matter of sorting through which ones I need and which ones are duplicates. Will put the dupes on free to a good home at some point as I have loads of both Railway Modellers along with Model Railway constructors from the 1960's onwards

post-5014-0-15222100-1527105172_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Had a recent find on eBay with a (antique) trader selling items he was not familiar with, to me they looked like models from a P4 collection

post-1131-0-16673200-1527152060.jpeg

K's model which was in the process of being super detailed, compensated chassis and runs very well, cost about £48 with postage The cab front and backs are NS sheet, just need to roll a roof

post-1131-0-02531500-1527152069.jpeg

Wills 02, bit of a quandary as needs a few extra bits, most of which I have. Has a well built P4 chassis, but no motor or coupling rods (both of which again can be found in my spares box) but the gear box is missing the first gear which attaches to the motor. the quandre is to use the chassis inthe next photo. Still at £31 a fair price for a well built P4 chassis

post-1131-0-15638300-1527152077.jpeg

Two chassis with Romford wheels and a MRRC 5 pole motor, wheels ahe motor alone would cost £60 is new and the 02 chassis may go under the Wills loco above, the 15 mm Romford/Markit wheels tend to be sought after and is on what I thinh is a Wills P class chassis with pickups fitted, They cost about £37 inc postage

post-1131-0-73088800-1527152093.jpeg

Finally a diesel Class 33?  Well the era I like diesels in and has P4 wheels, needs a good service as a poor runner, I need to learn about how to service pancake motors. I think it cost about £17

I have a snall P4 shelf layout on the starting blocks. I now have a Wills 94xx, a Highlevel 57xx chassis waiting for a body, the autotank and a single car DMU all waiting for track, I also have 2 Pugs and a Triang  Nellie with working P4 chassis

• Like 3

Had a recent find on eBay with a (antique) trader selling items he was not familiar with, to me they looked like models from a P4 collection

attachicon.gif210.jpeg

K's model which was in the process of being super detailed, compensated chassis and runs very well, cost about £48 with postage The cab front and backs are NS sheet, just need to roll a roof

attachicon.gif211.jpeg

Wills 02, bit of a quandary as needs a few extra bits, most of which I have. Has a well built P4 chassis, but no motor or coupling rods (both of which again can be found in my spares box) but the gear box is missing the first gear which attaches to the motor. ....

Looks like you've got yourself a useful haul there.

The O2's P4 chassis is particularly interesting. That's a twin-beam setup on the driving axles, and the solid brass-cased gearbox looks like it might be a Sharman one. Sharman gears, in their heyday, tended to be either 64DP or 100DP (if I remember correctly). You might be able to find a compatible worm that matches either at LRM or Ultrascale.

If you haven't already, you may have to drop the wheelsets and see if you can unscrew the gearbox casing and see what else might be missing inside. Your photo appears to show the casing of two gearboxes, though: the conventional one mounted on the trailing drive axle, and another immediately behind - is this a spur reduction box only?

Elsewhere, I've now got a spares sheet from SEF to identify the detailing parts required for the ex-Jidenco B4 frets that I collected from you.

Ivan

Thanks for the info, will have a chat with John Redrup at the weekend.

Glad you are getting on with the B4, really fancied building it, but kept dropping down the order of importance

The 02 may well get one of my quickie EM gauge conversions, by changing the axles and fixing 40 though black plasticard to the chassis sides, as it happens I do have a spare SEF etched brass chassis kit. My P4 stock tends to be either GWR or early BR diesel periods, as for the missing bits I think I have the spares

Thanks for the tip about the chassis, I could always drop the wheels out and fit a High Level gearbox and Mashima motor 

• RMweb Premium

That diesel is of course the old Lima 33 which despite its age does brush up well with a bit of detailing, some flush glazing and a decent paint job.

John

Thanks, just need to swat up on how to service motor bogies, wheels also seem to be made from brass

Some tips:

Lima gearwheels can have moulding flash around the teeth - whilst you have them removed a quick run of the face on some wet and dry will normally help.

Carbon brushes will either be soft through over oiling or too dry and hardened with age.

Commutator face can become scored and therefore prone to collecting dirt; 'flour paper' can address this.

As said, wheels are brass and need to be scrupulously clean to ensure good contact; similarly the wiper contacts on the unpowered bogie.

Traction tyres distort and stretch with over oiling, or perish through lack of use.

Hope that helps?

Rgds,

Edited by leopardml2341

Long tale - good ending

Three months ago I saw two Weaver O scale U25B locomotives for sale on ebay from a model shop in Los Angeles (mp38toytrain). One was a Santa Fe and the other a US Army repaint. One $100 and the repaint $80. On top of this was the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping charge and import duty, along with bank exchange rate / costs etc. This nearly put me off, but it worked out at approx £230 for both locos delivered, so I pressed the buy it now buttons. I bought them seperately with a week in between (indecision !!)

post-6884-0-71686700-1527263302_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-59839200-1527263342_thumb.jpg

I duly received a message said the first loco (US Army) was on it's way. I tracked it across the USA to Pitney Bowes tranship centre near Cincinnatti where they check / repack / air freight to UK - Then I received an urgent email from mp38toy train they had sent the wrong loco - however they managed to intercept it before repacking and got it sent back, meanwhile I had ordered the Santa Fe loco.

Anyway the tracking provided by ebay worked well (even for the one being returned !!). Took approx 3 weeks but both locomotives arrived a day apart  - well packed in their original boxes.

A quick inspection showed all was ok, just a quick wheel clean and light oiling and away they ran. Both locos had the newer "china drive" of a large vertical can motor over each bogie, and boy are they heavy - they are so powerful they would rip your arm off !! I was going to repaint the US Army one, but whoever did the repaint did an excellent job so I may keep her as is.

The communication / tracking etc from all concerned was good. There are many bad tales on the web about ebay's Pitney Bowes experiences - but my orders worked OK. I went for them as I didn't even know Weaver did U25B loco's - and I've never seen 2 rail DC versions for sale before or since. Weaver sadly closed a couple of years ago so ebay is perhaps the only place to find such models today.

A big thank you to the seller, mp38toytrain

http://www.milepost38modeltrains.com/

Brit15

• Like 3

It's not the experience that is bad it is the stupid costs they charge. I will not use them. I find normal tracked postage and payment to customs on arrival is less than half the cost and we have 60% duty here. They also charge a hugh amout for items that come underneath the customs payment threshold, so you actually pay for a service that's not even required.

Agree it's a pain ordering from the USA on ebay, and the Global Shipping / customs duties etc charges are high - but it was a one (well, two !!) off job for me - the locos were cheap, just what I wanted and won't probably come again - so I took the hit.

Looking at other items from the USA - freight cars (O scale) at around £20 have similar shipping / duty costs as to the locos, makes them really expensive, so buying from the USA probably never again for me.

Brit15

• Like 2

I have no idea about the true costs of these locos, but a 7 mm loco in excellent condition seems excellent value to me

Postage rates seem very emotive to some folk, and buying from abroad does cause a few extra issues.  Whenever I buy anything on eBay I set a maximum total price which includes postage costs, then do not bid over the net amount. At the end of the day one has to take all costs into consideration. To me £230 for 2 0 gauge locos seems great value

Ivan

Thanks for the info, will have a chat with John Redrup at the weekend.

Glad you are getting on with the B4, really fancied building it, but kept dropping down the order of importance

The 02 may well get one of my quickie EM gauge conversions, by changing the axles and fixing 40 though black plasticard to the chassis sides, as it happens I do have a spare SEF etched brass chassis kit. My P4 stock tends to be either GWR or early BR diesel periods, as for the missing bits I think I have the spares

Thanks for the tip about the chassis, I could always drop the wheels out and fit a High Level gearbox and Mashima motor 

I have had time to look at what's missing from the 02, I think the gearbox may be missing most of the gears, will get John to have a look, also found some coupling rods

The loco body is on the Wills cast chassis and working well, albeit with 18 mm wheels. Depending on which version is being modelled a chimney or chimney, Westinghouse and vac tank are required, certainly needs a repaint but on the whole a tidy little loco, think the Cast chassis came from a different loco.

• Like 2

I have had time to look at what's missing from the 02, I think the gearbox may be missing most of the gears, will get John to have a look, also found some coupling rods

The loco body is on the Wills cast chassis and working well, albeit with 18 mm wheels. Depending on which version is being modelled a chimney or chimney, Westinghouse and vac tank are required, certainly needs a repaint but on the whole a tidy little loco, think the Cast chassis came from a different loco.

Dave Ellis took an order for B4 parts from me at RailEx today. Trouble is, I've only just remembered the extra parts that need to be added to that list!!

• RMweb Premium

A pair of Slaters O gauge coaches for £45 seemed like too good a deal to miss out on, and having had them delivered, I'm, more than pleased. A little restoration is required, but not that much. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay has been a bit rich for me lately, being out bid on items or seeing them exceed what they are worth to me, but a couple of gems were found

25 various Southeastern Finecast 0 gauge embossed sheets, all for about £30,  just the job as I bought a Petite Properties laser cut kit a couple of weeks ago which needs cladding

Also got some Port Wyndsay doors and windows in 7 mm scale, and in a third lot some Will and Ratio building parts with lots of doors and window parts. Just need some time to do some modelling

I've had a bag full of Methfix transfers turn up here - never tried these before.

They are fine, and if you have any old pressfix ones apparently if you follow the methfix instructions, the meths will dissolve the glue making them useable, by the way I did the same over a year ago and bought a very large packet of various makes of transfers including a set of CR transfers for less that buying the CR transfers on their own

Edited by hayfield

Over a year ago now I bought off eBay a Highlevel 57xx and Pug chassis built to P4 standards, Chris sold me the missing parts I required at the time along with a pair of Gibson wheels (pug had 3 wheels)

This morning I got a Bachmann 57xx body for just over £10 inc postage, must keep an eye out for a Hornby Pug body

the other 2 loads of magazines arrived today. Just a matter of sorting through which ones I need and which ones are duplicates. Will put the dupes on free to a good home at some point as I have loads of both Railway Modellers along with Model Railway constructors from the 1960's onwards

wish id known, ive just binned a complete run from 1971 to 1989!

Over a year ago now I bought off eBay a Highlevel 57xx and Pug chassis built to P4 standards, Chris sold me the missing parts I required at the time along with a pair of Gibson wheels (pug had 3 wheels)

This morning I got a Bachmann 57xx body for just over £10 inc postage, must keep an eye out for a Hornby Pug body

57xx body arrived yesterday, after a little work with a razor saw fits like a glove, I have a set of coupling rods in the spares box and 2 pays ago won a couple of brake gear frets for just over a fiver, job done