Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Looking at the prices items went for this weekend it was a sellers weekend, plenty of un-built kits fetching £100 + a SEF W £7 under MRRP and an E1  £11 under MRRP. Even an old Wills E1 with a cast body and tired paint job stands at £70+, but then once you add the cost of wheels, motor and gears still half price and all it needs is a quick paint job.

I guess with the nights drawing in its kit building season

An airbrush compressor and two airbrushes for £56 Inc p and p, I want to learn so I figured these should get me started.

Quite a few of us on here have these, great value. I should invest in a better quality airbrush, but for the time being getting decent results

• RMweb Gold

I have a Badger 200 airbrush but part of it is broken, I'll buy the replacement part and use it once I've got used to the process.

Glad to hear that people get good results from the cheaper ones

Quite a few of us on here have these, great value. I should invest in a better quality airbrush, but for the time being getting decent results

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

had a good evening on ebay tonight, not bought much for a while but as i sold a few locos last week i had some money in paypal so thought id have a nose what there was of interest.

managed to pick up a LTD ED Bachmann GBRf 66 745 "modern railways" for £99 which im really pleased about, not one ive been after but at that price a bargain

then while idly clicking about i found a badly listed (poor photo and title) LTD ED rail express DRS livery 37688 "Kingmoor TMD", 1/2 of the limited edition pair with 37510 which i put a cheeky bid in on and got for £81, best part was i sold mine yesterday for £115, i may well just check this one over when it arrives and put it straight back up but properly listed 

• Like 2

Not eBay but a local show, end of day on the clubs s/h stall, 3 controllers which they were asking 50p each to clear. I gave them £5 (to boost club funds) as I thought even if only 1 worked it would be a fiver well spent

post-1131-0-87037700-1540642164.jpeg

1)  Track King mains controller. inertia controller with an extra 16V ac output plus cdu for points operation (has instructions)

2)  Codar inertia controller needs 16v AC input, case could do with a coat of spray paint and whistles not working (has instructions)

3)   ECM Compspeed Rambler, again needs 16v ac input and a bit of a clean and perhaps a case as its panel mounting ( no instructions but an educated guess backed up with a label on the back confirming which wires were in and outputs)

A real bonus as all 3 work with the Track King providing the power for the other two, again this year we are decorating a Christmas tree with working trains so I now have plenty of units to run the 3 or 4 loops we intend to fit. Will get an electrician friend to give the mains unit a once over

• Like 3

With Hornby M7s now having the crazy list price of £151.99 quite pleased to get a brand new one for £66.99 including postage. The seller completely unaware of general ebay practices had listed it as used as he had opened the box and slid the packaging out to photo the loco still sat in its packaging :sungum: Unintentionally necessary purchase having acquired another push-pull set and then realising my two push-pull fitted M7s were already allocated sets :fool:

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

The fact is that the item (unless he is a trader) is second hand, there by probably correct in listing it as used. The thing is to list it as second hand but if its never been used describe it as unused, if it has been run then state little used and in mint or near mint condition

Still a great buy, whether its either used or unused, I still cannot get my head around Hornby products being so expensive, I do accept its worlds apart from the original M7

If the owner bought it for a lot less than the current RRP and knowing what the trade in value is seems both parties would be happy with the price it has fetched.

The M7 has always some reason been £££ more than any equivalent tank engine, and something that seems to get overlooked when people complain about Heljans or Bachmanns price. This one will be my 4th, all off ebay at far below list price. The first one obviously upset the seller at how little he got for it as it was sent with  an address label simply stuck to the outer Hornby packaging wrapper. The second came from that a  well known and much slated ebayer who was actually selling it for far less than any other ebayer in equivalent condition whilst the third was an absolute bargain for around  £32 IIRC as it had crudely been altered to represent a Caledonian 0-4-4T by painting over the number and crest and filing the dome. A brass replacement dome acquired and a quick rub with a "magic eraser" resolved the damage.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

Perhaps the reason you occasionally get a M7 listed cheap, is because an inexperienced seller just looks up sold prices for Hornby M7's and sees the Tri-ang Hornby ones?

Tony

Seem to an awful lot trying to sell TH one at prices of the current models. This one was an auction but only one other person bid which upped from its penny below £50 original listing.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Peco Hunslet loco to go round the Christmas tree a few days ago, after postage it cost just under £30. Has a Hornby chassis and a badly fitting roof, also missing some pipework, so I thought I could tart it up a bit by taking off and refitting the roof and add/replace the pipework

post-1131-0-53552200-1541702333.jpeg

Well it arrived today and not sufficiently packed well enough to survive being propelled through the air across the sorting room

post-1131-0-59958100-1541702451.jpeg

To be quite honest it saved me a job as mostly it was the glue joints which took the strain plus a few bent castings. As it happens the sides were somehow fitted incorrectly causing the roof issues, but it ran surprisingly well. A quick look at the chassis and the cheap and nasty Hornby motor was missing and a Mashima 1626 was in its place

The sides have been removed, all parts cleaned up and the sides refitted. I will fit the cab rear and roof once I have painted the loco and painted the detail on the  firebox and its attachments

At £30 for a running loco which needed a tidy up I thought was reasonable value, with a Mashima motor it turned into an excellent buy 

• Like 3

post-1131-0-31263700-1541772444.jpeg

As I said the chassis has a Mashima motor and runs as sweet as a nut, the cab sides have been cleaned up and refitted and new pipework fitted then a quick blow over with primer. Somehow the builder fitted the cab sides too high, the roof now fits nicely

post-1131-0-20438300-1541772453.jpeg

The roof is not glued in place as it will be fitted with the cab rear once the painting of the cab has taken place, taking the photo I have noticed the builder hs fitted the rear hand rail knob in the wrong place, its now been moved and the hole filled

• Like 4

Not eBay but a local show, end of day on the clubs s/h stall, 3 controllers which they were asking 50p each to clear. I gave them £5 (to boost club funds) as I thought even if only 1 worked it would be a fiver well spent

attachicon.gif405.jpeg

1)  Track King mains controller. inertia controller with an extra 16V ac output plus cdu for points operation (has instructions)

2)  Codar inertia controller needs 16v AC input, case could do with a coat of spray paint and whistles not working (has instructions)

3)   ECM Compspeed Rambler, again needs 16v ac input and a bit of a clean and perhaps a case as its panel mounting ( no instructions but an educated guess backed up with a label on the back confirming which wires were in and outputs)

A real bonus as all 3 work with the Track King providing the power for the other two, again this year we are decorating a Christmas tree with working trains so I now have plenty of units to run the 3 or 4 loops we intend to fit. Will get an electrician friend to give the mains unit a once over

A quick update on the controllers, the Codar's case was a bit tatty. A quick sand and a small spray can from Wicks (£3.95) and it looks so much better

post-1131-0-03816000-1541785232.jpeg

Works fine powered by the Track King controller

• Like 1

No idea if these are any good, when I'll be able to build it (will need a Comet chassis or similar of course) and I'll need to find a GE tender, but hopefully this counts as a bargain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McGOWAN-MODELS-OO-EM-P4-4mm-SCALE-LNER-BR-B17-4-FOOTBALL-CLASS-LOCO-KIT-UNMADE/113338596873

A fantastic buy, the kits are of their time and you may decide to find some alternative castings, nothing wrong with the Comet chassis' they are superb, I would think the body and or chassis will need adapting to fit together

Great find

• RMweb Gold

It's sold as a B17/4 (so the LNER group standard 4200g tender, I'll only need GE tender ones) but for some reason it comes with plates for Lumley Castle which was a /1 and never from what I can see had that type tender.

Not bothered as I wouldn't use white metal nameplates anyway, just thought it strange. Of more concern is one half of the boiler looks like it has been run over by a steam roller. Should be perfectly salvageable though, so I'm pleased with it :)

• Like 2

attachicon.gif420.jpeg

As I said the chassis has a Mashima motor and runs as sweet as a nut, the cab sides have been cleaned up and refitted and new pipework fitted then a quick blow over with primer. Somehow the builder fitted the cab sides too high, the roof now fits nicely

attachicon.gif421.jpeg

The roof is not glued in place as it will be fitted with the cab rear once the painting of the cab has taken place, taking the photo I have noticed the builder hs fitted the rear hand rail knob in the wrong place, its now been moved and the hole filled

post-1131-0-84069300-1542124384.jpeg

Update with a bit of paint on

post-1131-0-33586700-1542124394.jpeg

Thought it needed plenty of bling

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

However, I did bag these for £7 the pair.

1. Corgi Original Omnibus LEYLAND LEOPARD PANORAMA I SOUTHDOWN MOTOR SERVICES no.42402 - displayed only.

2. Corgi Original Omnibus AEC RELIANCE PANORAMA SHEFFIELD UNITED TOURS no.OM42402 - still in clear wrapper which has slightly 'clouded' the photos - displayed only.

It was number 2 that I really wanted, but as it was hiding behind the description of number 1 I was lucky to spot it.

Now all I need is some NATIONAL lettering and the first one will be repainted white.....

I've put an ad in wanted, but if anyone can help me out with 1 vehicle's worth of NBC transfers for a white national coach, I'd love to hear from you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As Jim has mentioned above Ebay are doing 10% off collectables until 11:59pm tonight. 

You can buy two items, using the code PINCHME and you will recieve 10% off each item. You have to pay for the goods straight away though and you can't opt for the buy now pay later. 

Earlier today I bought 37688 from the Class 37 Group for £113 and 66727 from Rails for £153, thanks to Jim for making me aware of this offer last night. Really happy with these. 

A good way to use the code would be on the more expensive items for example 66614 and 66727 which are the Rails Of Sheffield Limited Edition Class 66s. You could get them for £153 each as opposed to £170 each if you buy them tonight. 

Thanks again Jim and I hope this is of use to someone. 

• RMweb Gold

A good way to use the code would be on the more expensive items for example 66614 and 66727 which are the Rails Of Sheffield Limited Edition Class 66s. You could get them for £153 each as opposed to £170 each if you buy them tonight.

Thanks again Jim and I hope this is of use to someone.

dunno if you have been watching ebay this evening but a 66614 'poppy' has just gone for £105 from a private seller with only 1 bidder, so £95 after the 10% off! Edited by big jim
  • Like 2