Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Maybe not the mainstream interest on this thread, but I picked up a Faller Schwarzburg station for less than £30, already assembled. Not only that, it is lit, and has multiple passengers and parcels on the platform, including a bloke on a small fork-lift. Most windows have a colourful floral display beneath them. Had I bought the kit new, I would have paid nearly £80.

The model is a pretty fair reproduction of the real station, still extant in Thuringia, and as the prototype of the HOm Harz layout it is intended for runs into that state, not too much of an imagination stretch.

I have bought some Faller and other kits for an idea I have using my Beamo stock. Prices for both built and unbuilt vary wilderly, I try and buy at the cheaper end of the scale for a few £'s each, normally loose out to much higher prices. Having said this the cost of kits new is astronomical   

Only a day has passed (they say a fool and his money are easily parted) and a  DJH LSWR/SR H15 part built loco kit came along. For years I thought DJH kits were a cut above others, reading some posts on here suggest differently. Looking on the DJH site this kit is not listed, but an S15 is retailing at £135 + £66 for wheels + motor of choice, so at a cost of less than a set of wheels £45.95 inc postage on the face of it well under a quarter of MRRP and I guess as a backup wheels motor and gears could be sold on eBay to recoup costs, also has transfers, but wrong era for me

Why the H15, two fold as I am modelling the west country and as I have an 0 gauge H15 kit to build, this part built kit will form a great learning curve with building the Walschaerts valve gear in 4 mm scale before doing the same in 7 mm scale

The kit has a finished tender in lined out BR black livery, loco body is built and painted black, but paint job a bit suspect. Chassis only has wheels and coupling rods fitted, there is a Mashima DS10 motor but in my opinion a bit too small, also the coupling rods are one piece. Certainly motor needs upgrading and perhaps the coupling rods. I will await the kit arriving but quite pleased with a complete kit for under £50

Not too up on what livery this mixed class loco carried, hopefully one of the greens

Had a quick look at a couple of books and found they were in lined green in SR days

Only a day has passed (they say a fool and his money are easily parted) and a  DJH LSWR/SR H15 part built loco kit came along. For years I thought DJH kits were a cut above others, reading some posts on here suggest differently. Looking on the DJH site this kit is not listed, but an S15 is retailing at £135 + £66 for wheels + motor of choice, so at a cost of less than a set of wheels £45.95 inc postage on the face of it well under a quarter of MRRP and I guess as a backup wheels motor and gears could be sold on eBay to recoup costs, also has transfers, but wrong era for me

Why the H15, two fold as I am modelling the west country and as I have an 0 gauge H15 kit to build, this part built kit will form a great learning curve with building the Walschaerts valve gear in 4 mm scale before doing the same in 7 mm scale

The kit has a finished tender in lined out BR black livery, loco body is built and painted black, but paint job a bit suspect. Chassis only has wheels and coupling rods fitted, there is a Mashima DS10 motor but in my opinion a bit too small, also the coupling rods are one piece. Certainly motor needs upgrading and perhaps the coupling rods. I will await the kit arriving but quite pleased with a complete kit for under £50

Not too up on what livery this mixed class loco carried, hopefully one of the greens

I think in the beginning they were painted LSWR green then SR black before going olive. I will need to check Bradley's. As for the kit if like the S15 from DJH it ain't right. Check the cab sides, overall boiler firebox length and the footplate. I know the S15 was wrong with all 3. I only ever built 2 DJH 4mm kits both of which were nearly replaced with scratch built parts.

Peter

Thanks, I did a little digging myself

I have looked at the Brian Haresnape book on Southern liveries. In the section titled Maunsell years 23-37 the first photo is of 473 with the following info for the first 10 locos 473-478 521-524

Urie H15 delivered in 1924 finished in existing shade of sage green used by Urie with white lining with a black edge, new style of lettering Egyptian serif applied to tender with large SECR style condensed sans serif numerals below

Right over my head other than it was lined green with no loco cab number and black shaded yellow number on the bufferbeam  

I think in the beginning they were painted LSWR green then SR black before going olive. I will need to check Bradley's. As for the kit if like the S15 from DJH it ain't right. Check the cab sides, overall boiler firebox length and the footplate. I know the S15 was wrong with all 3. I only ever built 2 DJH 4mm kits both of which were nearly replaced with scratch built parts.

Peter

The loco arrived today and for a change as well as being complete has the instructions, plus a Brucey bonus of a Model Rail on building this loco.

The tender is well made, especially the paint and lining, sadly will be oversprayed in sage green as per the photo I have.

The loco body has not been finished, only the first coat of black (I guess waiting for the chassis) Both parts have had some items become unstuck which will be easy to rectify.

The chassis has been started, the centre wheels are not free running, which may be due to the DS10 motor mount. The chassis has no EM gauge spacers and is quite like the Southeastern Finecast system using screw frame spacers also there is a lack of break gear so my thoughts are to carry on with building it to 00 gauge standards but swapping the DS10 with a D13 motor. The DS10 is far more valuable in my spares box for a smaller loco than my spare D13 motors, added benefit. But I am prepared to fit a High Level gear box if I hit problems.

The wheels should be 6' drivers however 23 mm ones supplied and the front two are virtually touching each other, so I think its a case of using whats in the box. 

First job is to read both the instructions and construction article. Then try and do what I preach by ensuring each stage works perfectly before moving on to the next stage  

Still very pleased with what I have even if the chassis is a bit basic in today's standards.

Peter

According to the instructions its one of the series of locos I mentioned in #1330 reply. Having said that I guess there are only a few who would know the subtleties. I always fancy painting a Q1 green !!

Must start a thread, I have been reading up both the instructions and article and think a set of Gibson coupling rods are required as those in the kit are one piece

I am hopefully doing the same West Country branch line, EM is out as the chassis and bogies would need to be padded out and I would rather concentrate on making the valve gear work. As for 0 gauge I just wanted a big SR loco and this one was available

As for a thread, I guess so. But you will see my hamfisted attempts. Anticipating issues with the chassis owing to its design and the fact that the article's author had issues building hers

Hoping I have found another economical buy, On the face of it  I bought a Will Finecast large Prairie Tank loco plus some parts. It cost me £45.46, which on the face of it, is not a great price especially as it has the older cast whitemetal chassis, but then a new kit with additional details and an etched chassis is £90 + postage, so it could be argued a good price and the cast chassis do have a small following for those who do not get on with etched chassis

The real value to me is there is a set of Gibson wheels, which retail at £24 and the bonus is a Kemilway etched chassis designed for beam compensation, long out of production and will go under one of the Prairie kits I have, nearest comparison is a Comet chassis at £37.50 + postage and finally a set of etched plates that would normally set you back £2 + postage

I will either resell the wills items or one of my existing Prairies which will I hope recoup most of my costs making the chassis and wheels an excellent buy

And there was me winging about being out bid over a week ago, though I did loose out on a few items, but thats an auction for you in that you start off with a list of items which interest you. One by one they fall off the list as they either get too expensive or I get out bid. There is no way I could afford all I watch.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The postie has just delivered a pleasing bargain in the shape of three Roxey R4 low windowed Maunsell kits that l acquired for half price. Just what we need for Balcombe. They will be built to the narrower R1 profile by scratchbuilding new ends. They'll go with a fourth to make up a numbered set.

"All good things will come to he who waits"!

• Like 2

The postie has just delivered a pleasing bargain in the shape of three Roxey R4 low windowed Maunsell kits that l acquired for half price. Just what we need for Balcombe. They will be built to the narrower R1 profile by scratchbuilding new ends. They'll go with a fourth to make up a numbered set.

"All good things will come to he who waits"!

There have been a few etched coach kits on eBay lately, perhaps the reduced fee deals have bought them out

Hoping I have found another economical buy, On the face of it  I bought a Will Finecast large Prairie Tank loco plus some parts. It cost me £45.46, which on the face of it, is not a great price especially as it has the older cast whitemetal chassis, but then a new kit with additional details and an etched chassis is £90 + postage, so it could be argued a good price and the cast chassis do have a small following for those who do not get on with etched chassis

The real value to me is there is a set of Gibson wheels, which retail at £24 and the bonus is a Kemilway etched chassis designed for beam compensation, long out of production and will go under one of the Prairie kits I have, nearest comparison is a Comet chassis at £37.50 + postage and finally a set of etched plates that would normally set you back £2 + postage

I will either resell the wills items or one of my existing Prairies which will I hope recoup most of my costs making the chassis and wheels an excellent buy

And there was me winging about being out bid over a week ago, though I did loose out on a few items, but thats an auction for you in that you start off with a list of items which interest you. One by one they fall off the list as they either get too expensive or I get out bid. There is no way I could afford all I watch.  

The Prairie arrived as described with all the parts unused just as the description, one very small disappointment is that the Kemilway etched chassis lacks instructions, its a work of art but has two issues for me, each side is made in 2 parts, having one with exquisite rivet detail, the second is not having instructions. The latter can to some degree be overcome just working out what goes where and I guess a request for a copy online would solve the issues. The first being more of an issue as it really needs a RSU to bond the side frames together.

I think both chassis will go back on eBay and the proceeds I will go someway in covering the costs of a Southeastern Finecast etched chassis and the updated cab details, still the wheels alone with crankpins would cost me in the region of £30 so extremely happy with the item and whilst slightly disappointed that the etched chassis is a little beyond my building skills, there is plenty of scope to retrieve the problem 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Royal Scot 46146 The Rifle Brigade in absolutely perfect nick for sixty-five quid.......well pleased ;) Another person matched my bid, so for another quid he/she could have won :onthequiet:

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

Just got a new chassis Bachmann Ivatt 2 2-6-2T for £86.50 inc postage (equal to the likes of Kernow actually having one in a sale with c.35% off) , a second hand one sold inc postage for only £4.50 less on Saturday.

Noted this one to beware of - latest box, split chassis Ivatt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Ivatt-2-6-2-Tank-Renumbered-41241-Black/273385491046?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D53675%26meid%3D0f03b114fc044090aa485144b063ef63%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D263899743765%26itm%3D273385491046&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by Butler Henderson

Hornby Royal Scot 46146 The Rifle Brigade in absolutely perfect nick for sixty-five quid.......well pleased ;) Another person matched my bid, so for another quid he/she could have won :onthequiet:

Mike

Just got a new chassis Bachmann Ivatt 2 2-6-2T for £86.50 inc postage (equal to the likes of Kernow actually having one in a sale with c.35% off) , a second hand one sold inc postage for only £4.50 less on Saturday.

Noted this one to beware of - latest box, split chassis Ivatt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Ivatt-2-6-2-Tank-Renumbered-41241-Black/273385491046?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D53675%26meid%3D0f03b114fc044090aa485144b063ef63%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D263899743765%26itm%3D273385491046&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Unless you are actually aware of the prices and of course need the item these items to the likes of myself look expensive. But then I have no idea about the costs of ready to run or the spares, other than what I have paid in the past for older generation models, which were very much inferior in detail and far less expensive

Its quite likely many of us see items and actually have no idea of their value. It has been said (about other products antiques to property) an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but then often after buying lots when disposing of items not required in the lot just how much can be got from an item just being well presented

Bagged a rebuilt WC with DCC Sound for £151 last night.

As it's the Hornby 'Digital Sound' rather than TTS - I'm assuming it has a re-programmable decoder. Anyone?

It is New but old stock by the looks of it. Will report on condition when it arrives.

Looks like too many modellers have had cheap holidays this year, as the prices for kits is quite strong at the moment, here are some examples

A Southeastern Finecast unbuilt SR Q1 with wheels fetched £47 + postage which is quite reasonable an older Wills E5 body kit also fetched £47+ postage

A Wills kit built 02 in 00 gauge, old whitemetal cast chassis, older Romford wheels and an unnamed motor fetched £166 + postage and a built but unpainted Wills G6 with a HD R1 chassis fetched £55 + postage

An incomplete Langley Baltic tank fetched £48 + postage, no instructions and main body parts missing

An unbuilt Wills I3 body kit fetched £56+ postage, a Jedinco D15 £83 + postage, with a second one going for £78 + postage. A Millhome SR Z partly built £193 + postage

Ok some are discontinued but take the I3 as an example, a new revised Southeastern Finecast kit with additional castings and an etched chassis is £89.50. Add the cost of a SEF etched chassis at £32 to the winning bid of £56 then add the cost of the additional revised parts then its far more expensive.

A good time to be a seller, not so good for the bargain hunter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After my previous post a part built Southeastern Finecast SR M7 with Markit wheels, Mashima flat can and gearbox, just under £34 + £10 postage. No idea if the postage put buyers off, or that the loco is part built have no idea. Photo does not show if coupling rods etc are included and may be the body needs stripping and disassembling, nothing a bath of caustic soda can't solve and at the moment my money is covered by the wheels motor and gears. Still I can anticipate its delivery

The M7 arrived sprayed in black, 2 steps were loose but not broken and the injector pipes had a bit too much glue on them. As I want a green loco the body is now in a caustic soda solution, which I am hoping will both dissolve both glue and paint.

Had a quick look and all the parts seem to be there, including a set of Markit wheels, axles & crankpins and the Mashima 1024 motor and gear set

The chassis has been part assembled, so nothing done other than screw the spacers in place on the mainframes. Sadly unlike other chassis kits there is no provision for EM spacing. Not a major issue as I have some Comet frame spacers, just the rear bogie mount to worry about which is cast whitemetal

• RMweb Gold

Looks like too many modellers have had cheap holidays this year, as the prices for kits is quite strong at the moment, here are some examples

A Southeastern Finecast unbuilt SR Q1 with wheels fetched £47 + postage which is quite reasonable an older Wills E5 body kit also fetched £47+ postage

A Wills kit built 02 in 00 gauge, old whitemetal cast chassis, older Romford wheels and an unnamed motor fetched £166 + postage and a built but unpainted Wills G6 with a HD R1 chassis fetched £55 + postage

An incomplete Langley Baltic tank fetched £48 + postage, no instructions and main body parts missing

An unbuilt Wills I3 body kit fetched £56+ postage, a Jedinco D15 £83 + postage, with a second one going for £78 + postage. A Millhome SR Z partly built £193 + postage

Ok some are discontinued but take the I3 as an example, a new revised Southeastern Finecast kit with additional castings and an etched chassis is £89.50. Add the cost of a SEF etched chassis at £32 to the winning bid of £56 then add the cost of the additional revised parts then its far more expensive.

A good time to be a seller, not so good for the bargain hunter

Wasn't this one was it? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-E-Finecast-OO-metal-kit-SR-BR-Bulleid-Q1-Class-0-6-0-LOCO-TENDER-wheels/202443484696?hash=item2f22926e18:g:1a4AAOSwU~Fbo8~h if so someone's after a quick profit.

I was watching an N7 that went last night for about £8 less than new :O

The seller of the one you are showing normally sells using the auction method, they find very good items and have had some excellent items from them. No idea where she gets her items from, but dont think she trades this way. For me not a good enough discount. The Star is nearly full price (may not appreciate the difference in price of body line kits)

Having said this if someone was in the market for a new Q1 I guess the saving on wheels is quite worthwhile and some just have not the time to do the tralling. There is a SE W class unbuilt kit which has reached £77, but its £23 below RRP, buy the less common kits as they hold their prices.  I did buy an old (unbuilt) kit at a very competitive price (against to days prices) The seller had it for 30 odd years and doubled the original purchase price

To a certain buying a second hand kit is a slight gamble and its a bit of buyer beware, as if you need to buy the odd item costs do spiral, a small loco will set you back £40 for wheels, axles and crank pins and a small motor pack with gears starts at £30 or gearbox version £50

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

If you are buying something pricey and it is buy it now then it's worth waiting for their 10% off days. The discount maxes out at £50 but it is worth having. I just bought a pair of good headphones, they were already very attractively priced making them a great buy, the extra 10% off made them a real bargain.