Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

coachmann

I think the backscene will always be a problem in a similar location to Greenfield. The last two pictures certainly look better, perhaps add some low relief trees to further blend thins in. I have two trains of thought here, somethings better than nothing, but maybe nothing is better than something that obviously looks wrong. Blending 3D into 2D is very difficult. Why couldn't you have modelled somewhere in Norfolk ? :sungum:

The "problem" with low-relief or normal trees set against the backscene is the dreaded "shadows on the backscene" - which instantly tells the brain that it is a flat piece of card.

Really enjoying your progress, Coach! Fine modelling, Sir.

Best, Pete.

The "problem" with low-relief or normal trees set against the backscene is the dreaded "shadows on the backscene"

I was thinking of putting them hard against the backscene. Giving the trees already there a bit of body.

I think the low views are particularly effective. What will be your viewing position when operating ?

Don't think I've said it yet, but I think your 'warts and all' nature of posting is a great help to many of us out there.

as a local  who has seen this view for most of his 47 years can i say youve just about got it right larry always gonna be difficult but that is very very close to being right  could you do a view from behind the box looking up the hill as the view out of the box window was mine for several years 

....... could you do a view from behind the box looking up the hill as the view out of the box window was mine for several years 

This is from the position of the signalbox with an Oldham PD2 passing on the 10.30 from Lever Street to Greenfield.... :)

post-6680-0-41381300-1370167614.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Don't underestimate the visual effect of all the clutter below the high wall. It serves to draw the eye down in the prototype picture. No doubt Larry will get round to that, and any apparent contrast between layout and backscene will be reduced.

Guest bri.s

Looking at both the real and model pictures I think you've done it justice very nicely modelled can't wait to see trains rolling through the station

Great stuff

Brian

For elevated baseboards outside (G Scale) we have used tanalised decking in a U shape, covered in roofing felt, on 3in square timber uprights in metpost sockets in concrete. They have lasted 9 years so far with no apparent deterioration.

Andy

Larry,

I think Greenfield is looking utterly stunning now and has really come along way since you turned her back around, the comparison photos show that you are capturing the essence and feel of Greenfield

Are the cottage roofs Wills slate sheets as they look very effective, especially when painted?

I am also interested in the "Lost Paint" Technique, once painted and the surface is touch dry is it a case of warm rather than hot water to flush out the mortar joints on a fairly slow to medium flow? It looks extremley effective in capturing the essence of the cottages

David

I was thinking of putting them hard against the backscene. Giving the trees already there a bit of body.

I see what you mean - worth a try and sometimes shadow problems can be overcome with lighting.

I do hate shadows on the backscene because i've done it and tore my hair out trying to fix it...........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Larry, good to see the plans for the outdoor section. The plan shows an end to end layout or is it going to be roundy-roundy with the other half of the plan appearing soon? I can vouch for metaposts. My fence has been up for years with no signs of rotting to the post ends, although mine are straight into the earth rather than concrete, however I assume this is the belt and braces approach.

That backscene, with all the developments with photo-stitching and digital whatevers, could a series of photos of the real thing be used? But then no doubt the "today" shots would be nothing like the Greenfield of the 50s, what with trees all grown up and the like.

. At some point, I nee to revisit the frame colours on most of my buildings but alas, it will be tiny brushes and a lot of swearing when I do it.

I've just ripped out all 39 windows from my Station building after paint job version #4 on the stone walling (got paint all over the white frames) There was lots of swearing invoilved there too

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. The PC monitor packed in yesterday morning so I am only just catching up on RMweb today thanks to a loan of one from Phil (PGH). He is coming round this week to mark the outside stump positions. This smaller loop is all we will manage this year I expect.

The large loop at 'tother end of the shed should lead down to Stalybridge but as its outside, it doesnt matter that it will represent Saddleworth instead. Plans are already afoot for a Viaduct.

LNWR Lives on.....The 'lost-paint' tecnique works just as well with cold water. It is simply a matter of washing undried paint out of the cement courses and in fact anywhere where it hasn't dried.  It's a scary time finding the right moment though. I keep lightly toching areas to see how dry they are before rushing to the kitchen sink. Make sure its available too!!!! Her Indoors wash washing up once and I had to run to the outside tap on the wall....

Archived