Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

coachmann

Not more track!

Very nearly!  No one spotted the track second from the right was P4. It is not even ballasted but simply placed on top of existing track.

This C+L was brought along by my good friend Dave Holt of this parish (he is building Delph with P4 track & wheel standards). I can now rebuild my old diaramma with 00 and P4 track using scenic materials surplus to Greenfield.

A spot of light hearted fun and the green concrete mixer certainly made me laugh.

Very nearly!  No one spotted the track second from the right was P4. It is not even ballasted but simply placed on top of existing track.

Which only goes to show that finescale OO track can look up to scratch against EM & P4.

Sits here waiting for flak.

• RMweb Premium

Bit like when the late George Norton tried his Beames 0-8-2T on

Cwmaffon - Mr Edge had to explain it was OO not EM!!

I did notice the kinky track but I didn't like to say..... And, we didn't spot the gauge probably cause we knew you were OO. Hey Ho.  

Well done.

Dave.

I was suprised to find just how rigid this P4 length was seeing as the 00 C+L I bought was terribly floppy (rail loose in chairs) and hard to lay especially straight.

Which only goes to show that finescale OO track can look up to scratch against EM & P4.

Sits here waiting for flak.

Definitely for plain track but it's the points and crossings that show the difference. It's really to do with check rail gaps, etc. rather than gauge.

It must be too subtle to spot, but three-quarters of the trackwork was actually renewed along with cork underlay a couple of weeks ago using remaining stock of C+L plus SMP salvaged from last Decembers order damaged in transit. One length was even found to be EM gauge! To cut a long story short, when I turned the 14ft long baseboard round back to where it is now, it fell on me when a temporary leg gave way. After that I was too intent on building the backscene to notice a dog-leg near the junction. The Code 83 junction points and diamond actually disintegrated, and so with no wish to buy new, stock Peco Code 75 points and diamond were put in. The different frog angle threw the mainline out closer to the edge of the baseboard, which is why most of the layout is brandnew on a revised alignment. I've only mentioned it because a new trick surfaced which might be useful to other modellers mixing SMP or C+L with Peco points....

I glued a layer of N gauge ballast to the cork (without track) wherever SMP and C+L track was to go.  When this was set it was sanded down with an electric sander. This 'layer' made up for the reduced sleeper depth of SMP/C+L so that it matched the rail height of Peco points. My usual lay track & ballast at the same time procedure followed.

Hi Larry, I have read much of this layout on Jeff's (Physicsman) KL thread and I am sure I must have seen bits in the past, but I have just had a look back over a couple of pages and I will sit down tomorrow when I have more battery in my Flip Flop and have a good read.

Great pics of what I have seen so far.

Andy, (alias Bodgit) to Jeff.

I'm fine thanks and back at work earning a crust. 

Got to pay for all that track somehow. :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Got to pay for all that track somehow. :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Hardly. After I've lined the pockets of building societies, banks, accountants, taxmen, supermarkets, car salesmen, councils, utility companies, oil companies and helped keep half the country on a benefits-lifestyle to which they have chosen for which I have earned a very meagre pension, plastic RTR model railways is actually an innexpensive and life-refreshing hobby....

• 3 weeks later...

the prototype box had a small 3' x 5' non opening window approx half way along the back wall facing onto shawhall bank road which gave a great view of saddleworth rangers home games every saturday afternoon shift 

the prototype box had a small 3' x 5' non opening window approx half way along the back wall facing onto shawhall bank road which gave a great view of saddleworth rangers home games every saturday afternoon shift 

Yes, I could detect a rear window in photos but decided to live without it. I imagine it put light on the desk?

After the upper metal box was soldered together the platform brackets were tackled. These consisted of tiny triangular shaped brackets which must be attached to 'L' shaped outer brackets (after bending) before being attached to the signalbox wall.....NOT the easiest job......I soldered the 'L' brackets to the wall followed by the triangular brackets held in tweezers.

If I were designing a signalbox in conjunction with a CAD operator, there would be a tab on the triangular piece, which would go through a slot in the 'L' shaped bracket and through a slot in the signalbox wall....Solder from back and hey-presto...job done!
post-6680-0-38830800-1373917545.jpg

The various etched parts to form a lavatory were folded up thus. These are extremely shallow parts to fold neatly in channel-section...
post-6680-0-04754300-1373917547.jpg

The outside lavatory in position but not attached until after painting was completed as it needs to be glazed....
post-6680-0-30078400-1373917549.jpg

The back of the signalbox. As Peanuts mentioned, the real box had a small window off-centre towards the other end..... post-6680-0-88238400-1373917550.jpg

Turning to the signalbox base, this was made from Wills SSMP220 Tongue & Groove Boarding. Corner brackets were made as shown, then the boarding added......

post-6680-0-74049700-1373917552.jpg

post-6680-0-78572300-1373917553.jpg

The base was given a floor. This gave rigidity and provided a large surface for Evostick when gluing the base to the upper structure...

post-6680-0-20460100-1373917555.jpg

To be continued.....

Yes, I could detect a rear window in photos but decided to live without it. I imagine it put light on the desk?

yes it did untill the desk was moved when the frame was condensed and that wonder of modern science electricty connected to the box around 1980 . the lav was moved to a portaloo at the bottom of the stairs that had a very dodgy door you had to brace with your foot or it would blow open if a train passed as female s&t tech once found out the hardway infront of her whole team 

• RMweb Gold

A shame really as some design-thought at the drawing stage could have produced a set of etches that were more average-modeller friendly. The kit is designed to produce a signalbox with steps at the LH end. Sods Law for me because the real Greenfield box had them at the RH end of the structure. Optional LH and RH parts would have been useful....

I blame those who supplied the LNWR drawings ...  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, good to see you cutting and shutting again. I use the Ratio Midland box but like yours it is designed to have steps at one particular end only, when with a couple of extra pieces you could have steps at which ever end you want. Being plastic though, it is easier to kit-bash.

Archived