Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Been busy doing up a couple of wagons requested by Robert..

post-7650-0-07238800-1438192574_thumb.jpg

weathered but could really do with some Return to Hull Silo and the instruction on padlocking everything shut when the vehicle is to be moved....

Baz

• Like 4

Thanks mate! I'm looking forward to seeing Grantham in September.

Look forward to meeting you then.

Bit of a 'doh!' moment this end as it has now registered that you're the Jeremy behind the 2mm Grantham project featured on the Return to Grantham website (being quick on the update was never one of my strongest points :fool: ). It all makes sense now!

Edited by LNER4479

Look forward to meeting you then.

Bit of a 'doh!' moment this end as it has now registered that you're the Jeremy behind the 2mm Grantham project featured on the Return to Grantham website (being quick on the update was never one of my strongest points :fool: ). It all makes sense now!

That's ok. I think we met briefly at the NEC in Birmingham. Both myself and Ian had a chat with you if I remember rightly. Grantham is certainly impressive and as I said before, can't wait to see it in its full form.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

raising you a coupling of cattle vans and a lowmac...

In good time, but not tonight... busy with a 52'6" BG with Kadees both ends.

I can't tell from the photo but I'm sure Baz will have reinstated the inspection windows in the ends which were only plated over in BR days. What's happening inbetween them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh they look nice!

Stand by for young Mr Wealleans raising you a coupling of cattle vans and a lowmac...

no problem as some other stock is appearing including teh traction engine wagon - the number for which JW gave me and I have to admit I have lost(!)

In good time, but not tonight... busy with a 52'6" BG with Kadees both ends.

I can't tell from the photo but I'm sure Baz will have reinstated the inspection windows in the ends which were only plated over in BR days. What's happening inbetween them?

Well I haven't cut them out - the Parkside kit has them as internally covered windows.

Some tangled up handrail wire pretending to be couplings I think... :mosking:

DGs - the coupling of choice - cheap, easy to make, easy to use delayed action ... what more do you need?

:-)

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Hi. LNER4479. Great photo's, with some very interesting trains! The scenic work is really coming along, and the layout just looks so real. I particularly like the detail in the depot, especially the coal heap.

With regards,

Market65.

That's brilliant. Looks like you blokes had a ball.

I keep trying to tell people, sometimes it's nice just to "play trains". Forget era, regions and correct consists, just run what takes your fancy.

Doesn't BR Blue look good right next to apple green (second last pic) !!

Now I really fancy something in that Blue, #@%**^!!

A couple for Barry from down by the seaside, taken on the phone (I forgot my camera).

Grain van, still in LNER condition shortly after Nationalisation....

LNER_grano_1_zpsdocs61u9.jpg

(You know what's coming here, don't you?)

... and still displaying the glazed inspection windows which BR later plated over.

lner_grano_2_zpswf0xs6nn.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

While playing trains we managed to work through the sequence... Some great moves to watch if you can get to Grantham in September.

Mind you the stock will be much more prototypical.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple for Barry from down by the seaside, taken on the phone (I forgot my camera).Grain van, still in LNER condition shortly after Nationalisation....LNER_grano_1_zpsdocs61u9.jpg(You know what's coming here, don't you?)... and still displaying the glazed inspection windows which BR later plated over.lner_grano_2_zpswf0xs6nn.jpg

Can't get the roof off my 3...perhaps some black paint may have to suffice?

I always thought these were like a sliding piece of wood...learn something new every day! Ta!

But wots that protuberance out of one of the buffer beams?

Hat, coat , C u later

• Like 1

I've got one of those, with tension lock couplings I'm afraid, and there may be another in that shoe-box full of wagons that came my way on very advantageous terms. Are they needed? The one I built myself finished up with its axles rather intriguingly at anything but 90 degrees to the line of the solebars, yet it still runs well enough. At least the two axles are parallel and lie in the same plane.....

Trapezoidal underframes for ever!

4/8/15 Technical correction: the shape suggested by the axles and solebars on my dodgy grain wagon is actually a rhombus, not a trapezium. I'll write it out a hundred times....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

42322 running-in ex-Derby borrowed by Nottingham shed to cover for a failure?

Just a thought

Les

Not sure on that, can't remember when the connection to the Lincoln line was re-instated, I suspect late 60s, possibly after things like Fowler tanks had pretty much disappeared from the area. Prior to that, the most likely way a Fowler tank would have got to Grantham would have been from Egginton Junction via Derby Friargate? Whilst there was a connection at Trent Lane from Low level to the Grantham line, it was rarely used as I understand it. It may even have involved a double shunt from the Midland line into Low Level? 

The LMS had running rights from Saxondale Junction to Nottingham London Road. It was part of the arrangements for the GN/LNW joint line through the Vale of Belvoir and onto Market Harborough. The LNWR built a Goods Yard at Manvers Street, Nottingham and had there own Loco Depot at Colwick, but this closed sometime in the 30's.

The link between the GNR and MR at Nottingham was a pair of exchange sidings for transfer goods wagons and coal wagons.

Getting back to Grantham, it's good to know the schedule has got worked through. Hopefully, by the end of the month I'll have figured out how to explain it to the masses?

Paul 4475

Can't get the roof off my 3...perhaps some black paint may have to suffice?

And a piece of clear plastic on top? That was the Dave Shakespeare 'dodge' (albeit on buildings) to make windows look effective from three feet away.

The one I built myself finished up with its axles rather intriguingly at anything but 90 degrees to the line of the solebars, yet it still runs well enough. At least the two axles are parallel and lie in the same plane.....

Trapezoidal underframes for ever!

4/8/15 Technical correction: the shape suggested by the axles and solebars on my dodgy grain wagon is actually a rhombus, not a trapezium. I'll write it out a hundred times.....

So it goes round right hand curves better than left hand ones (or vice-versa)? One of my recently re-commissioned convertor wagons is a bit like that thanks to some slovenliness on my part. Doesn't seem to affect its running or shunting abilities - the wonders of Peco Code 100! :senile:

I think this particular grain wagon would be very happy on a model of the old gauntleted track over Selby swing bridge, had the signalman moved the points just as the wagon went over, leaving it to run with one wheelset on each pair of rails!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, LNER4479. Great to see the making of the coal stack, it is very effective and most realistic. The town scene road surfaces are looking very good at this early stage.

I like the layouts drapes - velcro is an incredibly simple and effective way of putting them in place, and removing them after the layout has been exhibited. The drapes make the layout look complete - I like them.

With regards,

Market65.

The coal stack looks great and progress is really moving along.  The layout is definitely coming together and looking like alive.  If I can say that.

The Velcro is one idea that we use here at our club in Bendigo OZ.  Its good that The Gresley beat was the inspiration for the Velcro.  I went to see it at its home in 2011 and is my all time favourite layout.  Grantham is certainly not far behind.

The blue is the right colour too.  I presume that was planned?

Mark in OZ

The blue is the right colour too.  I presume that was planned?

Most certainly! Blue is / was the colour so far as LNER 1930's is concerned (with the greatest respect to apple green and teak!) - so much more interesting than black!

I'm still working on step-mum so far as embroidering the LNER monogram every 10 feet is concerned...  :tender: