Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

I even recycled the ballast from my last layout. Scraped it all off, then washed all the PVA off in warm water and then put it out to dry. Unfortunately the cats thought it was a litter tray so I had to wash it all again. Waste not want not.

Jamie

• Like 2

'Bout time for another picture.

One final weekend to work at the 'to do' list, with layout part dismantled. Below are two projects which are planned to be finished in time for next weekend.

post-16151-0-69968100-1454096063_thumb.jpg

This is the ceremonial 'planting' of the platform 5 canopy! Fits perfect, and nicely butts up to the adjacent - albeit mock-up (for now) - platform buildings. Posing in front is the nearly complete D3 which now has most of its lining applied to the loco.

The detail brackets attached to the rear supports show up well; just need to attach the rest then paint. Ooh - and put the glass in.

Must dash!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15

It's the final countdown...

post-16151-0-00973300-1454609034_thumb.jpg

Just outshopped in time for the show is the D3. So far as I can make out, No.4317 was a long time Nottingham resident so appropriate for the Grantham services.

post-16151-0-60441700-1454609112_thumb.jpg

A better set of bogie wheels will be fitted when I get the chance and I've held off with the valance lining as I've realised that I need to reposition the steps, but otherwise I'm quite pleased by how she's turned out. A mild coat of grime will be applied in due course to dull things down a bit.

post-16151-0-73616800-1454609288_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, this is how the layout looks all stripped down. The hire van has been successfully picked up this afternoon so everything's under control at the present time!

See you there if you're going to the show; otherwise, I'll do my best to take some pics and post next week. Hopefully one or two pics might appear on the Stafford show thread; always nice to see what others make of the layout.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Have a super weekend G and I do hope Grantham behaves well (it will, unlike some of the operators......)

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the layout 'on show'.

Phil 

Here Duck, you were warned once before .. thats a week in the naughty corner doing ballasting for you young man!!

Would we misbehave?..... turn up and see especially on Sunday near closing time.. :jester: 

Baz.

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

hello again eveyone, i wish to know about some of the passenger services and freight services that ran on the ECML between 1937-40. possibly named services so i can then do my own research :)

hope the show goes well!! 
jesse

Rodger.

Just wanted to say how wonderful it was to see Grantham in the flesh today. I have watched its development on the web since your first post. You and your team are creating something special here which can only be appreciated when you stand lineside and watch it perform.

Well done.

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks very much Tony for another superb selection of photos. I took my camera with me but it never came out of my bag I'm afraid.

Show was a story of complete contrasts. Yesterday we had a 'mare. The gremlins moved in mid-morning and never left us. My apologies to anyone who was watching us scratching our heads and pushing recalcitrant locos about.

Today, without actually 'fixing' anything, the layout ran much more like it did at Grantham. If you were watching this morning then you would have seen it much more like I would like to see it presented. During this 'purple patch', I reckon we achieved our first sub three hours cycle round the schedule.

I cannot sign off a post like this without thanking my fellow co-conspirators (they know who they are!) who gave of their time freely and did their very best to keep things running throughout thick n thin. A special thanks for hanging back and getting the layout stripped down in super quick time.

And in a little less than 5 weeks time we do it all again!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed seeing Grantham at Stafford on Saturday and it was good to have a chat with you in person as well as seeing Tony at the controls he's certainly looking a lot better these days. However many times one views the excellent photographs on this web site it;s not as good as seeing it for real and I have to say it;s impressive even at this incomplete stage and an inspiration to fellow modellers.the junction end of the layout does look good and proves what can be done by Peco track which has been carefully laid. All the best for the remaining part of this wonderful project.  

post-5136-0-00313800-1454879016.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It looks great, I wish I was there to see it in full! Thanks for the picture of the canopy Tony, it was interesting to see how the brackets came out. I wouldn't guess they were 10 thou plasticard.

'Robert', I love your sweeping curves. ;)

'Robert', I love your sweeping curves. ;)

Aw, shucks! :nomention:

Glad you like the brackets! I did ask Tony to take that shot especially to see how the new canopy had turned out. Just need a few people on the platform now (not too many though - there is a depression on!)

Layout returned safely to base earlier this afternoon so just coming round and fully catching up on recent postings, etc...

Rodger.

Just wanted to say how wonderful it was to see Grantham in the flesh today. I have watched its development on the web since your first post. You and your team are creating something special here which can only be appreciated when you stand lineside and watch it perform.

Well done.

Craig.

Many thanks, Craig. You chose the better day to attend (at least as far as Grantham was concerned) so I'm pleased you saw it when the trains were running as we intend; the feedback is appreciated at this stage of the layout's development.

Really enjoyed seeing Grantham at Stafford on Saturday and it was good to have a chat with you in person as well as seeing Tony at the controls he's certainly looking a lot better these days. However many times one views the excellent photographs on this web site it;s not as good as seeing it for real and I have to say it;s impressive even at this incomplete stage and an inspiration to fellow modellers.the junction end of the layout does look good and proves what can be done by Peco track which has been carefully laid. All the best for the remaining part of this wonderful project.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0043 (750x636).jpg

Good to have the chance to talk (not always possible, much though I'd like to); thanks for your kind comments. And that is a lovely photo!

And so, as another show becomes part of the story of the layout, I'm pleased to be able to advise of the first show we'll be attending in 2017: The East Anglian Model Railway Show (St Neots Model Railway Club) at Huntingdon, 11th/12th March 2017. We're honoured to feature on the 'flyer' for this show, courtesy of the lovely photo Tony took at the Grantham show. Jackie Younger (show manager) was at Stafford with a supply of flyers and they will be being handed out at this year's show (which happens to be the same weekend as we're at Nottingham).

There are further provisional / proposed / intended / expressions-of-interest (Etc) dates in the diary stretching as far as 2019; I'll keep adding them to the signature line as they become firm bookings.

St Neots Show A5 flyer 2017 ORANGE-1.pdf

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

hey everyone, just wondering what is a good source of information for named express trains and goods trains/express goods trains in the 30s for the ECML? 

thankyou

Looks like I may be able to attend Nottingham on Sunday all being well, thanks for posting the link. If I'm there I will be sure to come and say hello. Unusual for me to be in the uk and for the exhibition to be only 1.5 hours up the road. For me this layout will be the star attraction. I'm sorry to hear about the gremlins last time out, I know very little about watts and ohms and so on, but the fact you're able to transport your layout and set it up and make stuff work is a huge credit to you and the team. I have enough difficulty setting up my 6ft by 2ft 6 layout let alone something like Grantham.

• Like 1

hey everyone, just wondering what is a good source of information for named express trains and goods trains/express goods trains in the 30s for the ECML? 

thankyou

LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-67 by Banks and Carter

Named trains on LNER lines vol 1 and 2 by W.B. Yeadon

Both available on Amazon or eBay or other good book shops. Lots of pictures and descriptions, highly recommended.