RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

As promised, my photos from this past weekend. I confess to not being entirely across what's been added scenically since Woking as we haven't had a full running session and the chance to look it over or have a guided tour, but hopefully 4479 will correct anything I miss/misdescribe. As I think he's already pointed out above, much of what I've pictured is better shown in Tony's pictures back upthread.

Grantham_Warley_1_zpsfmxch99g.jpg

Grantham_Warley_2_zpsbzckyjzv.jpg

A couple of overall views to start with. This is the first time we've had Tom Palmar's pelmet complete and in use and it really helps frame the layout. The LED lighting strips are also very effective.

Grantham_warley_pacifics_zpsnkrmfeq9.jpg

Loco storage before we started. One thing we're seldom short of is top link motive power, even without the P2 holding area slightly out of shot to the left.

Grantham_Warley_new_signal_zps9mkjcdex.j

Grantham_Warley_new_signal_2_zpsarlb7kgw

Construction of the new signals have been illustrated on RMWeb, but they were in operation for the first time.

Grantham_warley_platform_5_zpszwosefyg.j

Replacing the plain card mockups of the station buildings has been the main effort. This is the view over the turntable to Platform 5.

Grantham_warley_platform_5_2_zps46b223xg

At the end of Platform 5 are two new buildings. The one on the right contained the oil store and the footwarmers, together with something I've forgotten.

Grantham_Warley_station_building_zpswhj8

Grantham_Warley_porters_barrow_crossing_

A barrow crossing and porters have been added at the south end. When the Official Photographer next visits, we're hoping to recreate the famous incident with Percy and the scarf.

Grantham_warley_platform_2_canopy_zpsmgv

Further back up the far platform, a new canopy and signage as well as buildings.

Grantham_Warley_WHS_zpsrmieouhc.jpg

Together with the obligatory bookseller.

Grantham_Warley_Ruston_bridge_zps6bjzet1

The Rustons bridge.

Grantham_Warley_stables_zpsaawepmrn.jpg

Tucked right away in the back corner, stables for the shunting horses.

....and this was the year I couldn't get to Warley! One day I'll see it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to jweallans to his pictures which show a level of detail that was unfortunately pretty difficult to see, both because of the crowds, but more particularly the barrier positioning mentioned by Willie Whizz above, nevertheless, it was great to see Grantham "in the flesh" and to understand the sheer scale & quality of what has been achieved by all concerned - well done!

Tony

As promised, my photos from this past weekend. I confess to not being entirely across what's been added scenically since Woking as we haven't had a full running session and the chance to look it over or have a guided tour, but hopefully 4479 will correct anything I miss/misdescribe. As I think he's already pointed out above, much of what I've pictured is better shown in Tony's pictures back upthread.

Grantham_Warley_stables_zpsaawepmrn.jpg

Tucked right away in the back corner, stables for the shunting horses.

Blimey JW - I think 'sir' is going to have to look to his laurels. Some crackers there.

At the risk of singling one out, I'm so glad you captured the new stables building, the work of Tom Dewdney (LMS29 on here). This typifies the work of the team. One week the concept of such a building to fill a corner is discussed - the next week, said building is delivered and put in place. And all that seems to be asked is the job satisfaction of a piece of work well done. I am constantly humbled by such contributions.

Just to explain the rationale behind the building. The LNER had 3 shunting horses 'shedded' (sic) at Grantham. According to info we have, there were stables for working use somewhere along the approach road. We can't positively locate that on any maps / plans we have so have instead chosen to use that piece of information as the justification behind this new building. It's certainly handy for where the horses typically work. It's style is based on a picture of some GNR hospital stables.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

That would be correct. Our model of Grantham is quite compressed (approx. 50%), so as a result many of the buildings are smaller than they should be. The building that has been made (in this case by Paul) is a vignette of what was actually there, but at least hopefully captures the essence of it. Very much our approach.

It was great seeing the full Grantham layout up and running on Saturday. Nice to see Graeme and Graham again as well as meeting Mr Wealleans for the first time.

The layout is very impressive and the shear amount of stock you guys have available is mind boggling. I did enjoy seeing Graeme's K2s on show as well as the many other locomotives!

* Edited to comply with Graham's earlier post.

Edited by Atso

Chaps - just dealing with this at the moment. Do you mind if we keep it separate from this thread? I shall be asking Andy where the best place is to start a - hopefully short - thread to bring attention to this. I'd rather it didn't dominate the main thread. Everyone's kind comments is a great tonic at the moment to what is a bit of a deflating occurrence after an otherwise successful show appearance. For completeness sake, the theft occurred in the Premier Inn car park last night so not actually directly connected with the show per se.

Just to say that I've started a separate thread in the Modellings, Musings and Miscellany regarding the unfortunate events as discovered this morning. If you want to comment there and / or make any suggestions then please feel free.

Kind comments on this thread re the layout at the Warley show much appreciated!

• RMweb Premium

Blimey JW - I think 'sir' is going to have to look to his laurels. Some crackers there.

At the risk of singling one out, I'm so glad you captured the new stables building, the work of Tom Dewdney (LMS29 on here). This typifies the work of the team. One week the concept of such a building to fill a corner is discussed - the next week, said building is delivered and put in place. And all that seems to be asked is the job satisfaction of a piece of work well done. I am constantly humbled by such contributions.

Just to explain the rationale behind the building. The LNER had 3 shunting horses 'shedded' (sic) at Grantham. According to info we have, there were stables for working use somewhere along the approach road. We can't positively locate that on any maps / plans we have so have instead chosen to use that piece of information as the justification behind this new building. It's certainly handy for where the horses typically work. It's style is based on a picture of some GNR hospital stables.

I think the horses were stabled at Grantham and that is an honest suggestion as the term is a railway verb.

Phil 

• Like 1

I think the horses were stabled at Grantham and that is an honest suggestion as the term is a railway verb.

Phil 

According to the text below  this a Mr Frost looked after them in 1932 . One of my favourite photos.

post-7186-0-46025700-1480364728_thumb.jpg

I believe JW has built one of the wagons as well.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7

You are spot on with the location of the stables. Here's part - a very small part - of a plan with the stables marked, plus an adjacent trough.

post-16222-0-03153000-1480375483_thumb.jpg

The whole plan is one of those available to buy from the Network Rail Mediastore http://nr.mediastorehouse.com/gnr-grantham-station-layout-1914/print/10883377.html. Well worth £15 for the download. (I wouldn't suggest buying a print of this one - the original drawing must be around 10 feet long, so even at the largest size of print available much of the detail would be lost.)

Edited by 61070
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

John, well done for reading "Stables" there. I had not figured out what it said before, but now I know what to look for, I agree with you. You are right that it is a really excellent plan with lots of detail when you expand it.  I printed some out at 78.7% of full size.  That allows that you can take a measurement from the map and multiply by exactly 10 to get the ideal measurement for a 1/76th scale model. Then the precision evaporates when you then have to compress it anyway as my basement is not 80 feet long !  

Graham and Grantham Gang, congratulations on running through the sequence so many times.  The layout looks excellent in the photos. I am sure it was appreciated by many many people at the show. 

Tom

OK - with another show behind us, time to 'announce' the next one - or two...

Following Paul's Hartlepool show in October 2017 we are booked for:

Lincoln - Feb 2018 (subject to final confirmation)

Ally Pally - March 2018

Really pleased about the latter (no disrespect to the guys and gals of Lincoln!). I've been a couple of times to Ally-Pally and it's difficult to imagine a more impressive venue. And within a stone's throw of the southern end of the GNR mainline too!

SO - plenty to look forward to and plan for. Hope you can make it to one of those if you haven't see the layout yet and wish so to do.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've been a couple of times to Ally-Pally and it's difficult to imagine a more impressive venue.

You're right Graham. We used to go roller skating there in the old days and then we went to see Led Zeppelin live at Christmas 1972...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I went to Ally Pally once when I lived in Stoke Newington, it was an amazing place. I'll keep my eye out for announcements in this thread in late May/early June, there's every chance I might be able to get over around then as I'm hoping to go to Carrington Traction Engine Rally while I'm over there. Stranger things have happened. :)

• RMweb Gold

I went to Ally Pally once when I lived in Stoke Newington, 

I'm starting to think you were a yuppie  :mosking:

I played E flat trumpet in Ally Pally in 1972 at Scout band nationals, (1st Sandy Scout & Guide band) we won ........I'm not sure I helped though....

• RMweb Premium

I played E flat trumpet in Ally Pally in 1972 at Scout band nationals, (1st Sandy Scout & Guide band) we won ........I'm not sure I helped though....

Sandy Scouts? Were they like the Sea Scouts but with the tide out?

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I think you layout has a problem - To many people wanted to look at it :-) In fact I would say if you put this next to Copenhagen Fields H&S may need to do a crowd risk assessment.

Seriously though it was nice to see how the pictures I have looked at as this thread developed came together as the complete layout and it seemed to run very smoothly. Also one of your operators did stand out and if there was a best dressed award, I think wearing his pin stripe jacket would get that - maybe crew uniform going forwards.

Be interesting to see how it evolves over the next 16 months as I normally try and get to Ally Paly and agree its a great venue.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't young or upwardly mobile, but I was a person. I have a certificate to prove it somewhere.

Now I'm a redneck out in the backwoods.

• RMweb Premium

I would think it difficult to play a flat trumpet.

Bert K.

• Like 1

Have to say I think you layout has a problem - To many people wanted to look at it :-) 

I have a 'cunning plan' that might be able to help with this!

(I'll get on with it as soon as I've laid some trap points.)