Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

A great day remembering how to operate Grantham yesterday. (And catching up with the operators)

I have a bit of wagon coupler modifications to do and JW is to send me a wagon number (ex NER traction engine wagon) so I can refinish that.

Locos and stock behaved themselves I just need to remember the new signals...

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Grantham is due to appear at the St. Neots show in three or four weeks time, so a fettling and running weekend was organised yesterday and today. For once I had the time to take some photos, so here are a few to (ideally) encourage you to come and see us and support what I'm told is a very good show.

A timely reminder for me as I did say I'd try to go to this show to peer at the layout ....

Agreed, good video.

For a moment I thought JW had asked why Andrew was removing the track at 2.30pm! I'll have to ask him if he has a secret plan to replace the lot with scale track....

Jesse obviously filmed on the Saturday, when nobody was away having a nap.

• Like 1

I think there may be a bit from both days, if you study RL's sartorial display. I'm fairly sure - although much of the weekend is a haze - that that A2 was run on the Sunday.

Are Sundays easier for that complex leading driving axle?

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

Whoever built that A2 knew what they were doing - it went effortlessly through pointwork that mine won't even countenance. Jesse had acquired it from Tony, so he may know what its provenance is.

It has definitely been built professionally, Tony and myself knew straight away upon testing it on Little Bytham. 

Might be better to talk to Sir about the beginning of its model life.  

Hi everyone, 

so i finally got round to making a small video of the layout at Warley with my GOPRO footage, i used the same music i seen in a previous video that features this layout, so i thought id keep the tradition going. 

hope you enjoy it, let me know what you think. 

Jesse

Yo Jesse!

I seem to be late to my own party here! Just enjoyed watching the video so I great big 'thanks' from me for taking the trouble to piece this together and post on here. Only one word I can think of - FANTASTIC. Some nice variety and great camera angles. Moreover a loverly memory of our appearance at Warley.

:sungum:  :friends:  ;)  :imsohappy:  :)

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bag... packed

New A4...Kadee 20 fitted

Wagons with Kadees.... packed

so its just about time for a trip to the East Anglian Show!

Ballastmeister baz

• Like 2

Yes, final call for St Neots (East Anglian show at Huntingdon).

Last minute work has seen the building block on the rear of the 'Old' shed being tackled.

post-16151-0-76729200-1489105280_thumb.jpg

Basic card framework

post-16151-0-39842800-1489105307_thumb.jpg

Plasticard brick added (English bond, naturally)

post-16151-0-04411200-1489105326_thumb.jpg

Painting underway. The chimbley gives away the building beneath it to be the depot blacksmith shop (for straightening out bent bits)

post-16151-0-57347800-1489105347_thumb.jpg

And now with roof and other details added. But did I get it all painted up in time?

post-16151-0-77741800-1489105607_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the layout doesn't look quite so impressive in semi stripped down state...

Hope to see you there if you're coming along. ;)

• Like 18

G'day Gents

Would you believe it, there's not one Airline that dose a day return from Australia to the UK, with pensioner discount, I'm bl00dy livid. But you have a good time. 

manna

• RMweb Premium

Yes, final call for St Neots (East Anglian show at Huntingdon).

Last minute work has seen the building block on the rear of the 'Old' shed being tackled.

attachicon.gifIMG_9409.JPG

Basic card framework

attachicon.gifIMG_9410.JPG

Plasticard brick added (English bond, naturally)

attachicon.gifIMG_9414.JPG

Painting underway. The chimbley gives away the building beneath it to be the depot blacksmith shop (for straightening out bent bits)

attachicon.gifIMG_9416.JPG

And now with roof and other details added. But did I get it all painted up in time?

attachicon.gifIMG_9413.JPG

Meanwhile, the layout doesn't look quite so impressive in semi stripped down state...

Hope to see you there if you're coming along. ;)

Neither do the operators I've been told.

Ar$e

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not just Australia, after checking I found that I could not get a day trip ticket from Canada,  

Check Ryanairs site, you'll probably find that they actually land in Canada when you want Iceland as it's the next nearest cheap airport.

• Like 1

Just got home from the East Anglian show (I only live about 5 miles away) having seen Grantham for the first time. And Wow it is impressive! And there is still so much more to come.

Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen and for bringing to my doorstep. It was the highlight of what was a really good show.

I look forward to seeing it again if that is possible.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Went yesterday to the St Neots show - Graham was rushing around everywhere so I didn't get a chance to talk but I did spend a very pleasant time chatting with Tony and a couple of others from here. What a stunning model this is. There were two layouts that stood out for me but this had to hold the crown. What was so impressive to me was how the locos just seemed to glide by, no noise compared to some. And the whole thing oozes quality.

Thank you to all involved and also to those I spent a very enjoyable hour so chatting with - it picked up the tone of my weekend.

(edit for spelling)

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

A conundrum...

why do Hornby A4s and A3s/A1s have differing haulage capability?

While the models look the same the haulage capacity between two A1s  is quite marked?

Fortunately, having added some lead to my "new" (secondhand) A4 Silver Link it was capable of pulling the streamliner set on Grantham with ease. (despite some of the floor vagaries at last weekends' show.

Any ideas as some of the operators are interested in why.

Baz