Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I like the sheet protecting the desk. Takes me back to Haymarket days...

Indeed. The great Longsight ETD BS5750 clear out of 1989. Generated a lifetime's supply of decent quality 1mm card for modelling purposes :whistle:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I must be one of the few remaining RMW members to have seen one of the locos in silver livery when almost new.

My dad took me to Copley Hill sheds (Leeds) when I was a very little lad --- was I ever?? ---- probably one Sunday morning before WW2 , perhaps 1938 . There was this big silver thing standing on the turn table. He read the name. --- Silver Link.

Derek

I saw it in silver too! Dad took me to Newcastle to see it. I was given the Hornby tin-plate version, an 0-4-0 with tender and a pair of articulated coaches. I also saw the Coronation at Tweedmouth. All goes to provide happy childhood memories.

ArhurK

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Evenin' all.

Remember this?

post-16151-0-80833200-1496779901_thumb.jpg

Well, keep your eyes on the two on the right. Whilst the others were for Grantham North End, these two were my part of a horse trading deal to make two earlier style GNR somersaults for JCL's Havenhouse project.

post-16151-0-15235400-1496779977_thumb.jpg

And now they look like this!

post-16151-0-15429900-1496780135_thumb.jpg

Well, the man himself called in over the weekend, on one of his periodic trips across the Pond. He brought with him the Howlden coaches that he's been designing & building in his inimitable style. All very ingenious and rather convincing. For more details, check out his thread.

post-16151-0-32758400-1496780229_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist!

Meanwhile, on the subject of lovely semaphore signals, unexpectedly came across this clutch during a few days away just before the bank holiday, an oasis in the desert:

post-16151-0-07486000-1496780523_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

Evenin' all.

Remember this?

attachicon.gifIMG_8266.JPG

Well, keep your eyes on the two on the right. Whilst the others were for Grantham North End, these two were my part of a horse trading deal to make two earlier style GNR somersaults for JCL's Havenhouse project.

attachicon.gifWP_20170605_08_59_05_Pro.jpg

And now they look like this!

attachicon.gifWP_20170605_09_19_14_Pro.jpg

Well, the man himself called in over the weekend, on one of his periodic trips across the Pond. He brought with him the Howlden coaches that he's been designing & building in his inimitable style. All very ingenious and rather convincing. For more details, check out his thread.

attachicon.gifWP_20170605_09_28_34_Pro.jpg

Couldn't resist!

Meanwhile, on the subject of lovely semaphore signals, unexpectedly came across this clutch during a few days away just before the bank holiday, an oasis in the desert:

attachicon.gifWP_20170526_12_23_28_Pro.jpg

Any ideas?

Bognor?

• RMweb Premium

Barnham and Littlehampton used to have good semaphores as did most of the line down from Horsham to Bognor. I suspect they have all gone on the main line but maybe Littlehampton still has some?

Beautiful signals Graham.

P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for having me again, and putting the coach on a pair of rails - still a lot to do there! Thanks also for the signals. They are both tucked away very safely in the middle of my bag ready for the track home later.

cheers

jason 

As a bastion of lner teak, can I ask the wise folk on here, where does one get transfers for npsc in lner livery? I can see the major suppliers of transfers do coaches, wagons and locos. Have I missed the sheets on this vital group of vehicles?

Many thanks

Richard.

Ps my wood effect stock using oil paints so far, no sniggering at the back please.

post-23520-0-86450700-1497213188_thumb.jpg

The underframe will be dealt with next.

• Like 4

Well, there isn't a great deal of choice.  I use HMRS for all my vehicles as they're (IMHO) the most accurate, but they're a long way from covering everything.  I'm afraid most of the rest is either ignore them or have something made.  I've had quite a few sets from John Peck at Precision Decals, who gives a very good service and will probably still have my artwork if any of them are of interest to you.

For the long CCT above, I did these:

transfers1.jpg

transfers2.jpg

If you move on to other more obscure prototypes, mainly those available from D & S, I have done others: the restriction markings for GE 6 wheel CCTs and the Chivers bogie ones (below), data panels and the 'Not to run in Southern Scottish Area' for horseboxes and the data panel for the GE SCV which Danny does.

cctlett.jpg

As an aside, that vehicle would be painted brown, not teak or grained.  There's a good colour photo of one on Paul Bartlett's site.  Teaked CCTs used carriage transfers as I'm sure you're aware.

By all means PM me if you have any specific questions.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, we were talking about Suggs platform lamps the other day when I came over and I mentioned that the ones at Havenhouse were pretty short and didn't really need a ladder - just some steps or a basketball player.

Here's the photo that I was looking for. There is a second lamp that you can just about make out to the right of the signalman to give you an idea of height. Hope it helps. :)

post-14192-0-49189400-1497398765.jpg

cheers

Jason

p.s. While I was in Wainfleet (down the road from Havenhouse for the out-of-towners) I noticed for the first time that there are considerably taller Suggs lamps on the streets near the station. I lived there all those years and have been back multiple times since and never noticed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you have to wear baggy trousers when collecting Suggs Platform Lamps?

And presumably you'll be driving in my car when you do.

Edited by Richard E