Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

I remember waiting at a train station in Switzerland in October on their first day of snow that winter.

Lo and behold, the train was late, just like might be expected in the UK.

By December, the Swiss have had lots of practice, and are then able to run on time :-)

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, he would be if 1N21 hadn't conspired to lose 29 mins en route to Darlington thus missing what should have been a comfortable connection up t'branch. Honestly, we've travelled on a variety of trains Sur le continent including some on Xmas day n Boxing day - all bang on time. As soon as we return to Perfidious Albion it all goes pear shaped.

Welcome home! Anyway, how are we all?

Very well thank you Graham. Just back in Oz ourselves today after the best part of a month in Austria, Germany, France and England. Disappointingly, nearly all the DB trains we took were a few minutes late which resulted in a few missed connections.

• RMweb Gold

Very well thank you Graham. Just back in Oz ourselves today after the best part of a month in Austria, Germany, France and England. Disappointingly, nearly all the DB trains we took were a few minutes late which resulted in a few missed connections.

Seems the new order still applies on DB then - things started going downhill around the turn of the century and don't appear to have improved based on your experience.

Well, he would be if 1N21 hadn't conspired to lose 29 mins en route to Darlington thus missing what should have been a comfortable connection up t'branch. Honestly, we've travelled on a variety of trains Sur le continent including some on Xmas day n Boxing day - all bang on time. As soon as we return to Perfidious Albion it all goes pear shaped.

Welcome home! Anyway, how are we all?

Red Leader shouldn't be that surprised really. I'm sure he'll find out what delayed his train.

I had a look and know of 5 reasons, but I can tell no more.

Paul 4475

p.s. I've been on delayed trains in Switzerland and don't even mention the TGV's in the South of France

• Like 1

Travelogue Part 2.

On Boxing Day, I'd pre-booked us a trip on a well-known private railway which just happened to - handily - be three stations up the line from Remagen.

post-16151-0-70278200-1483382065_thumb.jpg

This was reassuring!

post-16151-0-86966500-1483382626_thumb.jpg

Yes, we are about to board the Vulkan Express. Now - the first thing to get straight is that this is not a reference to a locomotive manufacturer formerly located in the north-west of England. Nor has it anything to do with a certain member of the Starship Enterprise (despite me just splitting an infinitive back there). It appears that 'Vulkan' turns out to be Germanic for volcano. Aha....

post-16151-0-16027500-1483382957_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, as soon as we set off, the heavens opened! Not the railway's fault obviously but, notwithstanding, the view from the window didn't seem particularly inspiring to us. And the still extant map of the Bernese Oberland railways out of Interlaken at our seats was a bizarre touch in the ex-BOB stock.

post-16151-0-35547700-1483382995_thumb.jpg

The final stretch is at a ruling grade of 1-in-20. With a dampflok this might have been quite something but our pair of diesel-mechanicals simply selected a low gear - we could have walked up quicker!

post-16151-0-21414900-1483383183_thumb.jpg

Arrival in ... er ... the middle of nowhere!

post-16151-0-14126900-1483383278_thumb.jpg

With the thick end of three hours to kill, we went for a walk round a wooded hill-top (which were led to believe was created from vulkan activity)

post-16151-0-31392500-1483383412_thumb.jpg

'truly incredible scenery' ... 'fairytale castles' ... 'dramatic rock formations' ... Just some expressions from a description of the trip in a holiday brochure Mrs4479 happens to have to hand. Did we come to the right place? Pleasant enough I suppose but its no wonder foreign visitors go ga-ga when visiting UK preserved lines if this is the best they have!

With apologies to anyone else who has experienced the Vulkan Express and saw something in it that we didn't!

For the final instalment, we gain a lofty vantage point which did have some impressive views.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Travelogue Part 2.

On Boxing Day, I'd pre-booked us a trip on a well-known private railway which just happened to - handily - be three stations up the line from Remagen.

attachicon.gifIMG_8489.JPG

This was reassuring!

attachicon.gifIMG_8494.JPG

Yes, we are about to board the Vulkan Express. Now - the first thing to get straight is that this is not a reference to a locomotive manufacturer formerly located in the north-west of England. Nor has it anything to do with a certain member of the Starship Enterprise (despite me just splitting an infinitive back there). It appears that 'Vulkan' turns out to be Germanic for volcano. Aha....

attachicon.gifIMG_8498.JPG

Unfortunately, as soon as we set off, the heavens opened! Not the railway's fault obviously but, notwithstanding, the view from the window didn't seem particularly inspiring to us. And the still extant map of the Bernese Oberland railways out of Interlaken at our seats was a bizarre touch in the ex-BOB stock.

attachicon.gifIMG_8502.JPG

The final stretch is at a ruling grade of 1-in-20. With a dampflok this might have been quite something but our pair of diesel-mechanicals simply selected a low gear - we could have walked up quicker!

attachicon.gifIMG_8506.JPG

Arrival in ... er ... the middle of nowhere!

attachicon.gifIMG_8509.JPG

With the thick end of three hours to kill, we went for a walk round a wooded hill-top (which were led to believe was created from vulkan activity)

attachicon.gifIMG_8512.JPG

'truly incredible scenery' ... 'fairytale castles' ... 'dramatic rock formations' ... Just some expressions from a description of the trip in a holiday brochure Mrs4479 happens to have to hand. Did we come to the right place? Pleasant enough I suppose but its no wonder foreign visitors go ga-ga when visiting UK preserved lines if this is the best they have!

With apologies to anyone else who has experienced the Vulkan Express and saw something in it that we didn't!

For the final instalment, we gain a lofty vantage point which did have some impressive views.

How amazing that they knew your RMweb name Graham. Pity they were almost 3 weeks late for St Nick's day though (we were in Austria on 6/12/16 - great fun).

Anyway, using one of our family catchphrases from many years ago "just imagine what it would be like if the sun were out".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How amazing that they knew your RMweb name Graham. Pity they were almost 3 weeks late for St Nick's day though (we were in Austria on 6/12/16 - great fun).

Anyway, using one of our family catchphrases from many years ago "just imagine what it would be like if the sun were out".

Well I went on it a few years ago when the sun was out, and did enjoy it!  Also enjoyed being shown round the line's depot by a friendly member of the preservation  society who explained their engines to us, and also why the two diesels have offset standard gauge buffers & couplings (to allow them to shunt standard gauge wagons on the mixed gauge section at the Rhine harbour).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent but unreasonably quick and effective progress on that coach. Had I done it that way I'm certain that it would have led to a belated discovery that the partitions were a shade too wide to allow the ends to fit properly, or some other unforeseen snag......

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been immersed in my own meandering into carriage construction - although in card and mdf over the last few weeks and I've gained a real appreciation of them. Your photos are lovely. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from the frozen climes of the chapel model railway room. Fingers numb after all the fiddling with the interlocking wiring for the new signals but it is now all DONE!

Not very photogenic so I'll spare you pictures of the rat's nest underneath the control panel. However, this might be a little easier on the eye:

attachicon.gifIMG_8749.JPG

The Quint brake vehicles being bespoke kits, the 'oles for the door handles had to be drilled - a touch tricky - and the grab handles bent up to shape from brass wire.

attachicon.gifIMG_8763.JPG

The etch for the ducket is a lovely design

attachicon.gifIMG_8764.JPG

I strayed from the instructions and fitted the interior compartment divisions first - it made the subsequent fitting of the ends easier I thought.

attachicon.gifIMG_8770.JPG

And there we have it. The basic assembly nice n square n true. Plenty more to do of course!

Hopefully some layout-centric pics this time next weekend as we have a dress rehearsal weekend looming...

Beautiful job and yes, 'oles for 'andles is a #### ## ### #### as are the 'inge 'oles. Etches look very sweet indeed.

ATB

Phil