Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I wouldn't be unhappy with those.  If i were to be negative, I'd say the upper panels in the 51' between the guards door and the left hand doubele doors as you look is a bit uniform.   The 61'6" could be even more scrotty, I wouldn't worry about it.  Using different varnishes can also accentuate the difference in finish - I use satin on NPCCS, or even matt for the really scruffy ones, and Klear (glossy) for the top link carriages.

One thing which really brings up Kirk vehicles is replacing the moulded handles with MJT ones. 

Also, the cantrail should be teak paint (I use Humbrol 62) like the solebars and it's worth adding the rainstrips above the doors.  They're very noticeable, especially if you leave the roof a paler grey colour.

Edited by jwealleans

Thank you, all helpful advice, I will try to act on it. Though I will not replace the handles, there is only so much time I want to spend on these as they are a break from the normal pre grouping that will predominate on my layout.

Richard

Whilst waiting yesterday for my order for some castors, bolts and washers to be readied for collection from the local counter of a certain "direct" national supplier of tools and fixings, I spotted something red.

post-3445-0-48681300-1498407036_thumb.jpg

Has Grantham's poor helpless Henry the Hoover, abducted last November by the villains at the NEC, been "rung" and sold on into a life of slavery?

Shall I inform the local plod, or do we launch a daring rescue mission and dispense our own brand of justice at same time?

What will be the next exciting development in this tale?

• 3 weeks later...

After we had both looked, and discussed in principle how it might be done, I was impressed last night as I watched Grantham's owner cutting and shutting brass coach etches until well after midnight. I presume he'll treat us to some pictures and a description at some stage....

Yes, indeed - thanks Graeme to dedicating the best part of a weekend to realigning a particularly tortuous stretch of track in the fiddle yard (where the Up Goods relief 'flies over' the ECML fiddle yard to get back into the Nottingham Yard). Upon closer examination, it really was a truly awful piece of tracklaying - Alton Towers would have been proud of its roller coaster properties. No longer, however, as exotica like a certain large, 3-cyl, 'Mikado' goods engine can now negotiate it without undue duress.

Apologies for no pix on this occasion - it wasn't really THAT photogenic an exercise(!) Pleased also to report that, after a long time on the waiting list, 'Liverpool' has now had its valve gear re-set, thanks also to Graeme's ministrations (whilst I hacked away at those etched brass parts).

Would you like to see my etchings? :jester: I'll try and post something later on...

• Like 5

Whilst waiting yesterday for my order for some castors, bolts and washers to be readied for collection from the local counter of a certain "direct" national supplier of tools and fixings, I spotted something red.

attachicon.gifHenry in hiding.jpg

Has Grantham's poor helpless Henry the Hoover, abducted last November by the villains at the NEC, been "rung" and sold on into a life of slavery?

Shall I inform the local plod, or do we launch a daring rescue mission and dispense our own brand of justice at same time?

What will be the next exciting development in this tale?

It is very sad that Henry was so cruelly torn from his railway. However, have you thought of suitable names for a replacement.

My new construction is being considerably assisted by Dilly the Dyson!

(Pictures to be taken later when more of the said construction is complete!)

• Like 3

After we had both looked, and discussed in principle how it might be done, I was impressed last night as I watched Grantham's owner cutting and shutting brass coach etches until well after midnight. I presume he'll treat us to some pictures and a description at some stage....

Apologies - took a little longer than I would have liked.

post-16151-0-70799700-1500833045_thumb.jpg

So here is the main challenge. In the centre is the part of the (Isinglass) drawing showing the Brake Composite vehicle that was at one end of the Quint set. The compartment configurations are as per the D.156 6-wheel composite that Danny Pinnock provides (top etch) - but with one of the 3rd class compartments removed (presumably to increase the luggage space in the bake compartment). Below the D.156 etch (immediately above the drawing) is the 45ft Brake Third from the Frank Davies etches (I've already made one of these up if you remember as the brake vehicle at the other end of the set). Below the drawing, the first cut has been made - the 5 third class compartments have been removed from the Brake Third - these will be used to create one of the 5 compartment third intermediate vehicles of the set. The remaining part of the brake is shown overlapped onto the other D.156 etch to weigh up where to cut next...

post-16151-0-45701200-1500833126_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, the Frank Davies kits include quite a few spare etches and, from one of these, I cut the additional 4 panels to make up the upper 8 panel section of the brake compartment. The D.156 etch has also been cut to suit and now these are about to be joined up, using scrap pieces of etch on the rear. Incidentally, all these cuts are simply made using a Stanley knife. With a few firm strokes, the brass can be cut through or at least a deep enough score made that it can be carefully bent back and forth which will eventually break it. The advantage of this is that, as well as nice straight lines (up against a firm edge), no metal is lost, allowing the broken-off part to be used elsewhere without losing any metal.

post-16151-0-75541100-1500833070_thumb.jpg

And here is the modified part. These is enough bottom panel etch for the side as originally design to be able to fill in the bottom gap. I've placed the already built brake third above it to show the contrast.

And now, as per the shampoo bottle - repeat...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

It's marvellous to see such patient and particular work going on to build models of vintage teak coaches.

Quite a contrast too with the activities of the nasty destructive morons who have just wrecked the NYMR teak set. Prolonged, vicious and humiliating punishment of the culprits, should be the legally prescribed "remedy" in these cases. Forget human rights, "reform rather than punishment", and all the other do-gooder psycho-babble - it just doesn't satisfy the injured party!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Quite a contrast too with the activities of the nasty destructive morons who have just wrecked the NYMR teak set. Prolonged, vicious and humiliating punishment of the culprits, should be the legally prescribed "remedy" in these cases. Forget human rights, "reform rather than punishment", and all the other do-gooder psycho-babble - it just doesn't satisfy the injured party!

Totally agree - Bring back the Stocks!

Thirteen days on from my observations of cutting and shutting, those coaches must be nearly finished by now. After all, I know that 4479 has absolutely nothing else to be getting on with at present (smirk).

It's a pity I didn't have this item in my possession two weeks ago, as he could have made start on this at the same time as finishing the coaches:

post-3445-0-86330300-1501345921.jpg

• Like 5

Thirteen days on from my observations of cutting and shutting, those coaches must be nearly finished by now. After all, I know that 4479 has absolutely nothing else to be getting on with at present (smirk).

It's a pity I didn't have this item in my possession two weeks ago, as he could have made start on this at the same time as finishing the coaches:

STA70723.JPG

Aha - the last great project! Wondered why I was spending all this time painting the Chapel from top to bottom? Can't be painted when most the railways of the north of England are spread out around it's walls...

I thought he'd got Gill doing the painting a year or two ago.

I have the black eye and the high-pitched voice to prove it ... :blackeye:

(apologies - bit of timelag between Dublin and county Durham)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

OK - time to 'fess up (a bit).

Yesterday, 12th August 2017 saw ground broken on the 'last great project' - Carlisle (greatest junction station of them all?).

post-16151-0-01733700-1502642729_thumb.jpg

OK, not my best ever picture and it is really just a construction site in one corner of the Chapel at the moment but this is the start of the permanent baseboards that will one day fill the rest of the room with my representation of the railways of north England and southern Scotland converging on the Solway city. The preceding few months have seen work repairing and painting the walls in the background (this involved removing some of the panels and attending to the crumbling plaster behind). Rather that merely putting back all the junk may-come-in-useful-one-day 'stuff' that had been temporarily shuffled to other parts, planning permission was secured to assemble the baseboards that are required for this corner (which can then be used to store said 'stuff' - for now). That includes positioning the vital fridge / brewing area snugly beneath the new boards. I say 'new' but, as can be seen, the opportunity is being used to recycle some of the 'stuff' that has indeed come in useful.

Fear ye not though for the future of Grantham! This is no more than a few months hiatus, following the concerted efforts last year to get the layout looking something like finished for Warley. Work on Grantham will resume this autumn (with zeal renewed by the break) with next Spring's appearance at Ally-Pally firmly in mind. The new south end signals WILL be operational by then (parts already in stock) and the GNR Quint set WILL be running (you've already seen proof of the work-in-progress on that).

I will no doubt start a separate thread for Carlisle. But not just yet...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Somebody once said, "You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step". Excellent news that you have taken that first step with Carlisle.I look forward to seeing some big engines running on that, including my fave Brits.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1