RMweb

Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, nickwood said:

I'm just trying to persuade AY to unarchive my Clifton Downs thread so I can put the pictures back.

Now done (thanks Andy) and can be found here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 23/12/2022 at 04:53, nickwood said:

Now done (thanks Andy) and can be found here.

Thanks for this, I'd seen your topic ages ago when planning my cut and shut project to build the Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway 4-wheel 3 coach set from the same Ratio kits. It proved very helpful reference and as my job never was fully finished I'd been trying to find it again!

Where I'm up to on the WC&PR build is reported in my Blog (JIC anyone is remotely interested. once I've reinstated the photos which I've just realised are missing)

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you back Nick!

I looked in on Much Murkle a couple of months back and was saddened to see no updates and it devoid of pics. It's great to see it restored and new content appearing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 57xx said:

Glad to see you back Nick!

I looked in on Much Murkle a couple of months back and was saddened to see no updates and it devoid of pics. It's great to see it restored and new content appearing.

Thanks Ric and given the number of reactions to the photos it’s nice to see that there is still interest in MM. I have plenty more photos that haven’t been seen yet.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, DLT said:

Hi Nick,

I don't recall ever seeing this layout at a show, maybe my memory is at fault.  Do you have any exhibitions booked for this year?

All the best, Dave.

Try this video recorded in Feb 2018. Lots of interesting Operations over 30 min or so

MM at Doncaster

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Try this video recorded in Feb 2018. Lots of interesting Operations over 30 min or so

MM at Doncaster

Colin, thanks for bumping this video. it has been a while since I last watched it and I’ve just spent an enjoyable half hour reacquainting myself. Other than a professional video that was done for a Friends of Pendon talk that I did a while back it is the best video that I have seen of MM showing many of the typical trains and movements at an exhibition. It is a shame though that the Cider House yard doesn’t really feature except for one very short shunting movement.

8 hours ago, DLT said:

Hi Nick,

I don't recall ever seeing this layout at a show, maybe my memory is at fault.  Do you have any exhibitions booked for this year?

All the best, Dave.

Dave, I don’t know where you are based but at present MM is booked for the Newbury show in late October, Andover in early November and all being well Warley in late November 2023. 

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Seconded. Your "meagre modelling efforts" were in the three that finally got me back into modelling again after a twenty year break and impressed 'er indoors sufficiently that my return to modelling was her suggestion as an extension of my artwork.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Congratulations. Recognition very much deserved IMO.

Colin

21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Seconded. Your "meagre modelling efforts" were in the three that finally got me back into modelling again after a twenty year break and impressed 'er indoors sufficiently that my return to modelling was her suggestion as an extension of my artwork.

Thank you both. I really need to give some thought on Much Murkle's future and where I go next.

• Friendly/supportive 6

Congratulations.

Deciding what to do with a much loved layout is difficult, I have that very problem with my own layout, can you do what I did and keep 'tweaking it'..?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jolly good show - and hopefully jolly good shows as you get Much Murkle back on the road.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased that you are going to be exhibiting again..  - Looks like I need to lock the Southampton show into my diary!

Looking forward to pictures of the new weathered and detailed stock too!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, nickwood said:

If anyone is still watching, happy new year to you all.

Nearly a year on and a decision on Much Murkle's future has been made. During the year, I've considered selling it, would anyone want it?;  scrapping it, which would be heartbreaking; keeping it as a home layout, which it was never designed to be being operated from the rear and viewed from the front; or keep it and try to secure more exhibitions with a new operating team.

I'm pleased to say that the latter option won out in the end. I now have three exhibitions booked this year, Basingstoke in March, Andover in August and Newbury in October. All very local to me so and an easy lead back in with my new team.   

The layout was erected recently to check it over as it had sat in it's crate for well over a year. I'm always anxious when it has sat in the garage for an extended period hoping that nothing has got in created mayhem. Over the years I have never had anything serious happen and this time was no exception fortunately. The only issue I had was a detached wire on the power circuit. It took a bit of head scratching to find as it was in one of the multi cored leads to the control panel but once identified it was an easy fix with the soldering iron. There are a couple of bits of scenic maintenance required before it goes out to the Basingstoke show but that was it.

I'm in the process of checking through the stock and servicing the locos. There are a few of the DG couplings detached, they are generally superglued to the underside of the buffer beams and doesn't take much to shock break the bond. Again an easy fix. All the locos are being oiled and having wheels cleaned and so far no issues. 

There will be some new locos on the roster this year, a Dapol Mogul, Oxford Dean Goods, Hornby 61xx, Kernow 1361 and a Kernow Steam Railmotor which should arrive today. All need detailing and weathering though before they will be allowed in front of the public (or shown on here).

I'll finish with a photo that I may have posted before. Deans Goods on a local passenger comprising of C10 all 3rd and a D37 brake 3rd and a busy goods yard

DSC00015.JPG.6f3be79e2e832f10e03ca98f7f51027f.JPG

Welcome back Nick. I’m glad Much Murkle future is assured… I don’t think we will be in the UK for any of those shows, much is the pity.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I'll be at the Southampton show next weekend, despite one of my favourite model railways going to Basingstoke later in the year, but only just up the road, so anything's possible.

MM is still looking splendid Nick and I'm glad it will be giving much pleasure to enthusiasts once again.

Are you still considering another layout? 

Best,

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1