Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jamie.

I'll be manning Avago*** at Llanberis - solo...all day...wow...(gasp...gulp)... so do come and 'ave a go while I disappear to get my sanity voice back.  :jester:   I'm planning a GWR day with Sentinel No 13 and maybe a tank (1466?).  Ray will be on Camel Quay.

***  I love it when people say it the 'posh' way - rhymes with (Dr) Zhivago - until they twig...

Great West Road is a quite a way off build let alone exhibition.  The track below the coal stage seems a bit short / narrow - I'm not sure there is enough passing room when a large loco would be there (9F for instance).  I've been playing around with it for the last few evenings - but if I move one thing, it upsets something else.  :scratchhead:   I could reduce the shed to two lanes (like Aylesbury), change the branchline, move the point to the turntable to the footbridge end (not sure that helps much, though), rethink the fiddle yard...I think I'll just enjoy the tinkering learning process for the moment.

Weather is back to normal - cold, wet and windy.  It was refuse collection day, today (oops, just look at the time, yesterday, I mean) and my blue recycle bin had disappeared (blown away???) by the time I went to bring it back to the house.

See you soon

Polly

• Like 2

Hi Polly

Looking forward to seeing you there, shame Ray will not be there, is that for every day the show is on....?

Yes... the Bin I can Help you on, if you go to the council Depot on Cibyn Industrial Estate by the Recycle centre and they will give you extra Bins and Food bags if needed... now that would make a great little Diorama modelling the Recycle centre... mmm

Llanberis show should be a good one, don’t forget to bring biggest cup along to make Tea, which I will probably end up doing...lol

I will be there to Avago... look forward to it...

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

Ray will be there - on Camel Quay, a North Cornwall inspired layout.  On it's debut outing, it'll be set in early BR, so you'll be pleased to hear it'll have the oddd diesel or two, including a class 22, alongside some ex-Southern steam locos including the Beattie Well Tank.
I'll be keeping my eye on it to see how the operation goes so I can pick up tips for Great West Road.
I've been re-reading the Haymarket Cross article in BRM and learning from their experience before I lay the track.
As to mugs, we have a pair of insulated ones with caps and  w i d e  bases so that I don't knock them over. :mosking:
If you want to model a waste terminal - how about this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/4978608615/
I've been thinking:  think_smiley_25.gif  one of those trains running through my branchline past some WCRC stock and touring locos such as 30777 Sir Lamiel.  The Yellow Waste Train: :locomotive: my answer to the Blue Pullman

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62091-model-rail-no-175-november-2012/&do=findComment&comment=799788

Polly

Edit - double post...!!Q!Q

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy, it's always good to see you on here and such a cheery avatar, too.

I find it quite exciting to do a prototype but it does have its frustrations when your space is even more limited than the original.  And, it'll take me a lot longer to acquire an equivalent amount and type of stock - but, pleased to say, not doing too bad on that.

But good news. I can start planning a 2ftx2ft extension.  :yahoo:  Ray put it to me over lunch - thought he'd never get round to it. I'll have to treat him to fish 'n' chips more often.  :laugh:

My thinking is to move the turntable further down and give the shed a chance to breathe (smoke, of course).  It'll give me something to try out in AnyRail, tonight.

There's quite a difference in the shed plans in Hawkins&Reeve Great Western Railway Engine Sheds London Division and E.Lyons, Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1947.  The latter track plan is less detailed and looks proportionately different.  Hawkins and Reeves plan is more strealined and includes useful info like inspection pits, surrounding buildings and coal stacks though the stacks disappeared during the war.

Another really interesting picture is on the Railmotor93 website showing the plumbing:
(http://www.railmotor93.org/shed/shed.html

(larger image on the website)

southall_02m.jpg

Unfortunately, the drawing doesn't include the loco shed itself - more research in the pipeline, then. :read:    smiley_laptop.gif   coffee_pc.gif

Polly

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi, just found your thread very interesting, design & drawing look very good, yet another thread I need to follow

Welcome aboard, billyb_imp. (Shedster)

Thanks for the compliments.  I still find it strange modelling 'home' territory which always seemed rather ordinary whilst growing up, there.  I only hope I can do it justice.

Off now to make us a hot choc.

Will try and get latest layout plan posted before I go to bed.  If not, tomorrow.

Polly (GWRoadster, newly invested Lunester and many more)*

* I must keep a track of what I'm following....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly I will be doing an OO Shed Layout soon so I will be looking to you for insperation, please keep us up to date.

Andy The Old Lune and Honourary GWRSTER :sungum:

I'm honoured, Andy, but I'm sure at the rate I'm going, you'll have yours up and running while I'm still planning mine...and I'll be looking to yours for inspiration.  :locomotive:  playing operating trains versus the drawing board   :paint:

I look forward to you getting started.  If it's as good as your others, it'll be well worth the wait.

In the meantine, here's the latest layout scheme for a 12ft x 2ft baseboard (3 x 4ftx2ft boards - joins marked on the diagram in red).

post-14049-0-12857100-1359677782.png

It has hidden sidings so that I can send down two freight or freight and passenger trains.  In this scheme the factory line has to be forfeited for lack of space - unless anyone can conceive a plan to keep both.

Views on this most welcome. 

Polly

• Like 5

Hi Polly

The Plan looks ace... to say the least and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, is this still all at Plan level or have you progressedto the next step of how many steps it will take to complete...

Still in Wolves at the moment, been with my Dad on Chemo today... not what I expected and he gets treated very well while he as his Chemo for 4-6 hours depending on what else they need to put into him, through his access line.

I look forward to seeing Ray and Your good self at the show in Llanberis in a week or so'd time....

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly

The Plan looks ace... to say the least and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, is this still all at Plan level or have you progressedto the next step of how many steps it will take to complete...

Still in Wolves at the moment, been with my Dad on Chemo today... not what I expected and he gets treated very well while he as his Chemo for 4-6 hours depending on what else they need to put into him, through his access line.

I look forward to seeing Ray and Your good self at the show in Llanberis in a week or so'd time....

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Good to hear from you while your thoughts are on your Dad.

The track plan is perhaps more of a squeeze than I'd hoped for.  A full size printout is a help because it helps me to see if passing stock are likely to hit each other or not.  I've also been using one to try out the movement of locos and railcars.  There was an order to things at Southall but I've not much idea of timetabling there yet. 

Looking forward to Llanberis, which reminds me, I'd better sort out some GWR wagons to bring along.

See you soon.

Polly

• Like 1

Hey Polly, you have another follower, this is a great read so far.  Those detailed plans from railmotor are a real bonus.  I've been using E.Lyons book as well but its always good to be able to cross reference against other sources.  

I've got a loco shed project waiting in the wings so will be taking notes :)  Good luck with it

• RMweb Premium

Hey Polly, you have another follower, this is a great read so far.  Those detailed plans from railmotor are a real bonus.  I've been using E.Lyons book as well but its always good to be able to cross reference against other sources.  

I've got a loco shed project waiting in the wings so will be taking notes :)  Good luck with it

Another follower.  Another Shed, I like it, Alan.  If you like E Lyons you'll also like Hawkins and Reeve - many anecdotes and other details with the photos and diagrams and lots of information, maps, plans and elevations. What I call a real railway book - gets me drooling.

Looking forward to seeing your project thread - just get stuck in >>>> funny_pc_smiley.gif

What's your region / era, btw?

Polly

• Like 3

Another follower.  Another Shed, I like it, Alan.  If you like E Lyons you'll also like Hawkins and Reeve - many anecdotes and other details with the photos and diagrams and lots of information, maps, plans and elevations. What I call a real railway book - gets me drooling.

Looking forward to seeing your project thread - just get stuck in >>>> funny_pc_smiley.gif

What's your region / era, btw?

Polly

I'm modelling the Cambrian, though won't be starting on the larger shed project just yet until I've practiced on a couple of diorama's, one being a small scratch built 2 lane shed.  Era will be 1957-58, though when I can afford it I'll have some ideas for the 60's :) 

The Hawkins and Reeve books sound like a good resource, I'll look them up, thank you :)

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Alan, if you're modelling the Cambrain I'm not sure how much The Hawkins and Reeves book I have will be of use as it covers the London Division: Old Oak Common out to Didcot and Oxford.

I guess I'll have to leave it to others to point you in the right direction for the Cambrian. Still interested in your layout though. :sungum:   Wales - Ah...

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

Alan

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but just in case you haven't, if you do a search for cambrian at the top of the page it'll bring up all the layouts with that tag.

As usual with this forum, you should get plenty of pointers from them.

Duncan

Edited cause I couldn't spell

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back from the Stafford Show and I had yet another enjoyable session or two watching Haymarket Cross 00 MPD in action.  Then off to check out Lough MPD in 0 gauge  ("loosely based" on Slough, a London Division shed down from Southall).  Lastly, drooling over the gorgeous 13xx saddle tank on Cornwallis Yard - along with others by the sound of overheard conversations. :mosking:  And, yes, there were 13xxs at Southall.  So where do I get one? :dontknow:   Oh, yes, bumped into a couple of Lunesters, AndyP and GeorgeT,  after Andy's shopping spree.... sworn to secrecy   :secret:   and managed a wave to AndyY at one of the trade stands.

My spend - one GEM standing boiler kit for the Shed.  All I need now is the shed   :jester:   ....and some track and...

Ray's spend - don't ask or put it this way - Llanberis is looming...   :D

Great day out - lots of great layouts.  So much to take in.

Polly

• Like 5

Back from the Stafford Show and I had yet another enjoyable session or two watching Haymarket Cross 00 MPD in action.  Then off to check out Lough MPD in 0 gauge  ("loosely based" on Slough, a London Division shed down from Southall).  Lastly, drooling over the gorgeous 13xx saddle tank on Cornwallis Yard - along with others by the sound of overheard conversations. :mosking:  And, yes, there were 13xxs at Southall.  So where do I get one? :dontknow:   Oh, yes, bumped into a couple of Lunesters, AndyP and GeorgeT,  after Andy's shopping spree.... sworn to secrecy   :secret:   and managed a wave to AndyY at one of the trade stands.

My spend - one GEM standing boiler kit for the Shed.  All I need now is the shed   :jester:   ....and some track and...

Ray's spend - don't ask or put it this way - Llanberis is looming...   :D

Great day out - lots of great layouts.  So much to take in.

Polly

Hi Polly and Ray, Great to catch up yesterday and have a little chat, that made up a bit for Barrow Hill I hope. I am looking forward to seeing your project continue and for Rays to get going. George and I hope to see you around again soon I hope.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Checked out Nightmare before Christmas on Trebudoc Part 2

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54364-trebudoc-in-o-gauge-videos-page-28-29-and-31-to-33/page-33&do=findComment&comment=931530

The Pannier sounds great.  Wow, what a difference a larger speaker makes - bet there's room for surround sound in your Tank.  boxes.gif

Worth the wait, Andy.

Reminds me, I must do a line up of GWRoad locos before they forget me - take them out for a photo shoot.  We don't have pets - just locos.  :jester:

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Now I've got a boiler kit, I’ve been looking at photos of Southall shed re the standing boiler (in Hawkins and Reeve).  I already knew there were, at some point, two boilers, one at either end of the south wall.  But looking now, it appears that the tall chimney on the surviving boiler changed ends.  I don’t suppose you can add to this - anyone?

Ok, the boiler is a small detail, but its size and, ultimately, the size and position of the boilerhouse will determine how much room I’ve got left for other things – the problem with ‘squeezing’ things in and if the GWR could do it with Southall, I’m sure I can have a go at it with GWRoad.

Meanwhile, Ray’s been out in The Diner all day cutting up bits of wood and glueing them together for his new layout, Camel Quay.  While the glue's drying, some pics have been added and I'm off to make some coffee. 

Polly

• Like 3

Hi Polly, ESTER :no:  WHOOPS SORRY, :nono:  :nono:  when are we going to see the photo line up of your loco fleet please, I am looking forward to getting a glimps of some of Gods Wonderfull Railway GREEN LOCOS. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Photo shoot postponed until after Llanberis when, hopefully, I'll have a bit of time to think GWR, although the observant may notice a temporary touch of GWR on Camel Quay!  Watch out for it on new pics to come.

I see Ray let the cat out of the bag  cat3.gif on his thread re my little 'shopping spree'. 

You can't keep anything secret on here.    :secret:    :no: :beee:

So I might as well come out with it.

A donor for  Carn Brea Castle (1960s) to be renamed and renumbered

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7566988358_9984cb6f58_z.jpg

and Britannia 70000 @ irresistable Sale price for Railway Centre Days - add late [next day edit: oops!] early BR crest and gloss nice shiny finish.

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2011/brittania-being-repainted/

and - for those who've not yet watched it  :yes: - the video link - again!   :sungum:  

I'm also writing up the shed Allocation: On Shed (the haves) and Out on Road (the have nots).

Sou'Wester

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Photo shoot postponed until after Llanberis when, hopefully, I'll have a bit of time to think GWR, although the observant may notice a temporary touch of GWR on Camel Quay!  Watch out for it on new pics to come.

I see Ray let the cat out of the bag  cat3.gif on his thread re my little 'shopping spree'. 

You can't keep anything secret on here.    :secret:    :no: :beee:

So I might as well come out with it.

A donor for  Carn Brea Castle (1960s) to be renamed and renumbered

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7566988358_9984cb6f58_z.jpg

and Britannia 70000 @ irresistable Sale price for Railway Centre Days - add late [next day edit: oops!] early BR crest and gloss nice shiny finish.

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2011/brittania-being-repainted/

and - for those who've not yet watched it  :yes: - the video link - again!   :sungum:  

I'm also writing up the shed Allocation: On Shed (the haves) and Out on Road (the have nots).

Sou'Wester

Very kind of you to show my track layout again Polly (the bit of the branch/back of platform/yard entrance) which like all good track layouts started off on not the back of an envelope but a piece of scrap paper in the early days of the Paddington -Heathrow schemed planning.  So it is of course very 1990s and was specifically planned to allow higher speeds for trains leaving (and to a lesser extent joining) the Main Lines plus giving better access to/from the Brentford branch.  Amazing this is that when the Civils drawing office turned my rough sketch into a scale plan it all fitted  although they did make a mess of it on the Up side and put the connection too far east for what I wanted - it happens.