Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

Hi Polly, es,nononono. Great Video that I do like the pointwork towards the end of the platform, I also love the Brits and will need one for my shed, I have just subscribed to BRM to get my free loco PLUS the mag is now really good so I win both ways.

Still looking forward to the pics, I am out with T at its first show in the new format this weekend so I will see how it goes.

All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I was hoping to get a feel of locos reversing out onto the mainline though it will come out of the sector plate rather than off the end of the platform unless I can rejiggle it again now that I've got another 2ft to play with.  It requires more track than you think, unfortunately, and I've got the coal stage meeting it from the other direction.  Fun and games on the drawing board/PC. :mail:

I'll try and get some pics up next week after Llanberis.

Ray's in now - off to put kettle on.

Polly - es --nahhhh.

• RMweb Premium

Very kind of you to show my track layout again Polly (the bit of the branch/back of platform/yard entrance) which like all good track layouts started off on not the back of an envelope but a piece of scrap paper in the early days of the Paddington -Heathrow schemed planning.  So it is of course very 1990s and was specifically planned to allow higher speeds for trains leaving (and to a lesser extent joining) the Main Lines plus giving better access to/from the Brentford branch.  Amazing this is that when the Civils drawing office turned my rough sketch into a scale plan it all fitted  although they did make a mess of it on the Up side and put the connection too far east for what I wanted - it happens.

Apologies for not replying earlier, Mike.

With such a small screen on my netbook, I thought it had done a double take on the video and I passed to the next post.

My track layout is not quite as up to date as yours.  It appears that there was a double slip at the end of the branch platform (which I've moved to fit my current plan) but I also intend to use one (in Peco Code 75) to reduce length in the yard.  I'll wait till I've tried GWRoad's locos out on Camel Quay's one before going ahead with my track plan just in case I need a big rethink.  You never know, I may pinch recycle yours in the end - nice and simple.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly

Great video there, first time I Have seen it

I agree with you, there, Billyb.

Must admit, I've just watched it again...I keep noticing different things...at least, that's my excuse.

Love the length of the train...up here, I'm used to seeing 5-car Voyagers and 3-car DMUs.

In the 70s, I had to put up with a smelly diesel local service up to Paddington.  Came home via the underground, the bus and a pleasant walk through the 'cow field'!  [There were cows there in the 50s.  By the 70s, there were greedy horses who'd try and get at your bag for food given half a chance - too many people going to feed them.]

Polly

• Like 1

I agree with you, there, Billyb.

Must admit, I've just watched it again...I keep noticing different things...at least, that's my excuse.

Love the length of the train...up here, I'm used to seeing 5-car Voyagers and 3-car DMUs.

In the 70s, I had to put up with a smelly diesel local service up to Paddington.  Came home via the underground, the bus and a pleasant walk through the 'cow field'!  [There were cows there in the 50s.  By the 70s, there were greedy horses who'd try and get at your bag for food given half a chance - too many people going to feed them.]

Polly

Polly

Yes the rake of carriages was certainly impressive, it was like watching royalty amongst all we commoners 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for not replying earlier, Mike.

With such a small screen on my netbook, I thought it had done a double take on the video and I passed to the next post.

My track layout is not quite as up to date as yours.  It appears that there was a double slip at the end of the branch platform (which I've moved to fit my current plan) but I also intend to use one (in Peco Code 75) to reduce length in the yard.  I'll wait till I've tried GWRoad's locos out on Camel Quay's one before going ahead with my track plan just in case I need a big rethink.  You never know, I may pinch recycle yours in the end - nice and simple.

Polly

The layout has changed fairly drastically twice in relatively recent years - firstly in 1968 as part of the Paddington - Hayes resignalling when all the remaining slips were removed leaving what you will see here (scroll down slowly) -

http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/34/1968%20-%20LXO%20100%20Old%20Oak%20Common%20Stage%207.pdf

Then again in connection with the resignalling for the electrification and introduction of Heathrow Express - at which time I stepped in in order to get a far better layout for freight working than had resulted from the 1968 scheme with, among others, the important aim of recreating direct, signalled, access to/from the Brentford branch (as seen in the video).

The one I'm having difficulty in tracking down a copy of is the pre-1968 layout - I've got an office copy of the signalbox diagram for Southall East Junction but can't find anything for the critical one here - Southall East Station.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

The layout has changed fairly drastically twice in relatively recent years - firstly in 1968 as part of the Paddington - Hayes resignalling when all the remaining slips were removed leaving what you will see here (scroll down slowly) -

http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/34/1968%20-%20LXO%20100%20Old%20Oak%20Common%20Stage%207.pdf

Then again in connection with the resignalling for the electrification and introduction of Heathrow Express - at which time I stepped in in order to get a far better layout for freight working than had resulted from the 1968 scheme with, among others, the important aim of recreating direct, signalled, access to/from the Brentford branch (as seen in the video).

The one I'm having difficulty in tracking down a copy of is the pre-1968 layout - I've got an office copy of the signalbox diagram for Southall East Junction but can't find anything for the critical one here - Southall East Station.

That's mighty fantastic of you, Mike.

Maybe, I should just hand over my layout to you.  :laugh:

The sigalling notices are really interesting.  On one drawing I have the line 'to factory' is indicated but I've not seen it on any photos, though these predate Quaker Oats. It's interesting to see it B&W.  Can't see I'll have room for it though - the one to the AEC is questionable.

We'll see.  I'm not planning to actually lay any track until the summer is out. Rather, I think I'd rather play around with printed track and card cut outs and at the same time work out some manoeuvres and timetabling.  And learn from life on Camel Quay.

:senile:  :senile:  :senile:

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's mighty fantastic of you, Mike.

Maybe, I should just hand over my layout to you.  :laugh:

The sigalling notices are really interesting.  On one drawing I have the line 'to factory' is indicated but I've not seen it on any photos, though these predate Quaker Oats. It's interesting to see it B&W.  Can't see I'll have room for it though - the one to the AEC is questionable.

We'll see.  I'm not planning to actually lay any track until the summer is out. Rather, I think I'd rather play around with printed track and card cut outs and at the same time work out some manoeuvres and timetabling.  And learn from life on Camel Quay.

Polly

You'd need a lot more room to get the AEC and Quakers Oats sidings in - the AEC siding was at 0m 32ch and 0m 00ch was roughly the middle of Southall platform so in 4mm scale (uncompressed) you're talking about  c.25feet :O   I don'y know when hth sidings went - they were still there in the 1968 Sectional Appendix but are not mentioned in the 1975 edition.

• Like 1

You'd need a lot more room to get the AEC and Quakers Oats sidings in - the AEC siding was at 0m 32ch and 0m 00ch was roughly the middle of Southall platform so in 4mm scale (uncompressed) you're talking about  c.25feet :O   I don'y know when hth sidings went - they were still there in the 1968 Sectional Appendix but are not mentioned in the 1975 edition.

Ouch !!!!

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Donor for Carn Brea Castle arrived today but we'll have to wait until next week for a photo shoot - of sorts.

Next on the donor list is a Modified Hall.

Hi Polly

Don't forget the sidings to the north side of the running lines you might get away with one using it with a row of wagons on as part of a backdrop along with the south wall of the goods shed behind that first siding there was corrugated fence hiding the "600 Group" scrap yard.

81C 

You're on the right track, 81C but on the wrong side of the running lines.  I was hoping to slip in a siding for the Class 121 which will be seen through the arches of the coal ramp which will run on the diagonal until it 'hits' the backscene'.   The goods shed and scrap yard sound good - with some vehicular reversing horns going off  in the background  :jester: see video above   :sungum:    Edit.  sorry, now on previous page  :jester:

Hi Young Polly, I have just popped in for a quick read through, I will be back later

All the best for now,

Andy. :sungum:

Now, you can pop in as often as you like with a title like that, Andy.

Young Polly (love it)

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

....... I'm not planning to actually lay any track until the summer is out. Rather, I think I'd rather play around with printed track and card cut outs and at the same time work out some manoeuvres and timetabling.  And learn from life on Camel Quay.

Polly

Hope you're not all going to disappear thinking nothings's going to happen for a while because I'm sure i'll be needing loads of input from you all in the coming months.  Or you can just pop in and have a larf look larf as I try to squeeze a pint into a halfpint . :jester:

Learning from Camel Quay.  Yesterday, we just managed to get CQ in the car...and Great West Road will be over a foot longer though that should be ok.  Camel Quay's backscene is 15" high which made for some clever manoeuvering to get the third board into the car to sit on top of the other two.  It needed both of us - Ray at the rear door, me at the side door. So backscene height on GWRoad will be critical for travelling and could well need to be a few inches lower.  Legs will possibly fold up inside the baseboard to save space.

Then, of course, we're exhibiting just round the corner and just getting a taste of it all. :)

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

A little indulgence before I start some modelling and a photo shoot - still getting over exhibiting for 4 days!  Guess that's normal (?)

At the moment I'm thinking about backscenes and fiddle yard.

My thoughts re the fiddle yard is to have a lightly sceniced sector plate semi hidden behind platform buildings and station furniture based on the early photo below.  Along the lefthand end of the layout, extending back along the fiddle yard, I'm considering a backscene with low relief station building and painted landmarks (gas works and water tower).   If that doesn't work, there'll have to be a backscene of some sort in front of the fiddle yard but I'd rather do something different.  Time will tell.

Southall station about 1910.  I do like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/7983754943/sizes/h/in/set-72157626805671341/

and more recent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/7983762620/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Has anyone done something similar on anything larger than a micro layout?  I'd be interested to know.

Polly

• Like 1

Hi Pollly, Back scenes are a pain, :O  when I built Loch Leven I decided to do a curved backscene as per Chris Nevard, I made it 15 inches high :nono: and it was a pain to move about being 15 inches one way by 20 the other way :no:   and was also difficult to arrange in the car so I know where you are coming from and you have my sympethy.

Andy. :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I had a chat at the weekend with Conway Valley Light Railway (009) owner and he felt that a low backscene (to get the layout in the car) was just as troublesome in that buildings above the height of the backscene tend to suffer damage (chimneys breaking off and the like).

I did think of a low relief road bridge and station building with no backscene (pale blue sky) but I'm not sure how that would stand up to exhibition purposes.  Agree - 15" backscene is pushing it to get the layout in the car.  12" may be better.  Still, we have to consider these things.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Polly

A compromise to this might be to have the back scene 1 - 2 inches above the tallest buildng.

Just a thought

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

This is a nice idea.  My tallest building wil be the water tower.  I've yet to work out the height of it.  The coal stage is roughly 30ft high.  The water softening tower must be at least 50ft, I would guess = 200mm, maybe 60ft. So somewhere between 7 and 9 inches on the layout.  I don't know how high the gasometer and water tower would need to be if I represented them - would like to keep them in proportion if I paint/model them in the background. 

On your suggestion, a backscene shouldn't exceed 12" which would be good for getting the layout in the car.

Thanks, Duncan.

Polly

Southall station about 1910.  I do like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/7983754943/sizes/h/in/set-72157626805671341/

Polly

I like that one too. My great great grandfather could well have been driving that Large Metro tank. He was based at Southall from 1900 to retirement in 1924 (after the usual GWR wanderings through promotions, after starting on the broad gauge in Frome), and I know he drove these Metros quite regularly out of Southall shed. My grandmother worked at the Aeolian Company in Hayes, and used the train to go to work. She apparently usually cut it fine time wise, and often missed the train, even if her dad was driving. If he had the 'right away' and saw her running down the steps, he made a swift exit from the station, rather than let her get on. On arriving home, and on getting an earful from his daughter, he used to say to her "Time's time, my girl." :mosking:  I'd like to think he drove the (now restored) Railmotor too, but will never know.

Sadly, I have no photo's of him in the usual pose of 'stopping his engine from falling over'.     

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Copperclad for the story of your G G Grandfather.  And the daughter running down the steps with train pulling out - must have that on the layout. Real stories....  :yes:  See, it doesn't take much to bring it to life.  And if I can get hold of a steam railmotor, I'm sure her Dad will be driving it down the branch. :sungum:

I've been eyeing up the Metros in the book by Hawkins and Reeve but can't see any models available at present.  Possibilities include the Wills Finecast kit /kit built loco.  It would be nice to have at least one of these locos but I've got plenty of time to get something sorted.. 

In the meantime, I've got some Wills platform accessories to knock up for Avago  then, hopefully, I'll feel more confident to get on with the GWR kits that are mounting up.  :O   Is it me, or my age, but I just got on with it in my youth.  Now, I seem spend too much time wondering if it'll work out alright and then leave it till.....another time....

Speaking of time --- time to do hot milk for one / coffee for the other.

Catch you all tomorrow ...oh, it is tomorrow, later, then.

Polly

• Like 4

Morning Polly, and to Ray if he is lurking around somewhere, I thought it was about time I had a catch up on here and you have had a very busy thread, lots of interesting tales and ideas.

Jist another quickie on the backscene issues, on Glen Roy it is only about 8 inches above track level, but at least it is something, but then I do NOT have any tall structures to protect.

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your kind words.  I feel really honoured that so many rmwebbers pass on their stories here.  It's not only really good of them, it helps make the world of model railways come alive - the people's history recaptured - and hopefully come to fruition on Great West Road.

On the subject of baseboards.  We've still got the seat down after lugging taking Camel Quay to Llanberis last weekend.  So a good opportunity to try one of Great West Road's bare baseboards in the back of the car and see how much room it takes - or more to the point - how much we can get in.  :laugh:
Not today, though - the sky's falling in with sleety stuff - someone go and tell the king.... :kingchris:
6023 King Edward II, naturally  http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/6023/6023.html
Seeing that, I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty in its running mode. Yeahhhhhh..... :locomotive:

• Like 1

Not today, though - the sky's falling in with sleety stuff - someone go and tell the king.... :kingchris:

6023 King Edward II, naturally  http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/6023/6023.html

Seeing that, I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty in its running mode. Yeahhhhhh..... :locomotive:

Hi Polly,

Did you see the photo's in the Preservation Section of the GCR Winter Gala?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67541-gcr-winter-gala/

6023 looks very good.