New server,

Really - Why don't you check out The Gear Page with 100,000 members? They limit threads to 1,000 (I think I can't remember exact number) replies before a part 2 because of performance sucking large threads in the past.

But, hey, thanks for being patronizing!

Best, Pete.

Pete, I don't want to belabor the point (and I have no idea how the software behind "The Gear" works but the number of members should have very little impact on the server's database or on the sending of the code behind the page. The page you see on RMWeb (and most forums) is a cut down and specific search usually of the most recent page in a topic (say posts 250-299) all the other pages should be stored pre-made up in a cache (the caching taking care of the rare events of updates to old posts). This makes the lookup using sql quite fast and totally independent of the size of a topic or the number of posts it contains.

Even very basic forum software has been built this way for quite a while. If you are seeing every post in a topic on "The Gear" then they are not using a basic admin setting to limit the number of posts per page to an optimum.

In other words the forum is already paging (or splitting every topic into parts). So splitting pages 1-20 into one topic and 21-40 in another topic has absolutely no impact on speed or space, it just makes searching more mentally difficult to the end user.

• RMweb Premium

Bizarrely since the note went up on the site about the transfer being underway, it has been running faster and better than it has done for quite some time!!!

• RMweb Gold

Still a pain when adding a comments to a gallery image though - I got the little green box for 10 mins then gave up....

Edit : This post then got added to the top of the page....

• RMweb Gold

Edit : This post then got added to the top of the page....

That's a display issue, had it for a while now (on IE), refreshing shows the post at the bottom as expected !

Edit - some guy called Andy has also added the same info

• RMweb Gold

That's an IE issue which has been around for ages.

Ah, oops, didn't realise that. I'm using IE9 (because I use IE (all flavours) at work for the software we produce and it's what I'm used to).

It's not consistently doing it though, maybe 1 in 30.

I always thought the post going to the top was how it worked on RMweb, its always done that on this forum, but not on other forums i use.

Is it normal not to be able to edit your original post, if you later find spelling or grammatical errors.

Is it normal not to be able to edit your original post, if you later find spelling or grammatical errors.

You can, you have to click on Edit and then Use Full Editor to do that.

Hi,

Is this server move complete yet?

I only ask as I've just lost the forum again for a few mins with "the connection has timed out", "SQL Error - mySQL query error....." and finally a "404 not found". Been like this for a few weeks for me.

Thanks.

No it isn't. Of course Andy's status update might explain a little bit.

is banging his head on a server shaped wall.

Rest assured we will keep everyone informed and won't just switch everything over without telling you. You will maybe find that the forum is unavailable for a day or two whilst everything is changed over. In any event Andy will inform everyone as and when there is something to inform you of.

No it isn't. Of course Andy's status update might explain a little bit.

Rest assured we will keep everyone informed and won't just switch everything over without telling you. You will maybe find that the forum is unavailable for a day or two whilst everything is changed over. In any event Andy will inform everyone as and when there is something to inform you of.

Oh heck! does this mean I'm going to have to do some modelling again some time soon :O

Hi,

Is this server move complete yet?

I only ask as I've just lost the forum again for a few mins with "the connection has timed out", "SQL Error - mySQL query error....." and finally a "404 not found". Been like this for a few weeks for me.

Thanks.

Everyone's still running on the old servers. It's complicated to explain but I've only just gained access to the transferred material on the new server to start testing the structure across the three servers etc which will be done tomorrow and then the switchover and any downtime can then be planned and briefed out.

Everyone's still running on the old servers. It's complicated to explain but I've only just gained access to the transferred material on the new server to start testing the structure across the three servers etc which will be done tomorrow and then the switchover and any downtime can then be planned and briefed out.

Isnt that strange, i thought we were on the new server, ive had no SQL or errors and it loads up faster than ever. :O

Isnt that strange, i thought we were on the new server, ive had no SQL or errors and it loads up faster than ever. :O

We could have saved a fortune and said we'd switched. ;)

Seriously though, Warners have placed a substantial investment (both in cost and labour) in the future development of RMweb. I am sure there will be some glitches through the process but we'll get there in the end.

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts as well Dave. I've only been logging on intermittently over the last 5 days, but no SQL errors in that time and pages have been loading at a faster pace.

Good luck with the "real" transfer, Andy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the lack of errors is down to a reduced number of members (and non members) online, perhaps BECAUSE of the ongoing SQL problems, or possibly due to the knowledge that the change is pending, so it's better not to post/visit until something's happened - just a thought.

Whatever, good luck with the transfer (is this no3 or no4 - I can't remember) and see you all on the other side of it.

One thing's surer now that ever before, there will certainly be an other side as Andy and Warners have a vested interest in getting us there.

• RMweb Premium

In the pre-Warners days, Andy had an equal vested interest in making a move succeed... :rolleyes: The only change from then to now is that Andy didn't have to cough up to foot the bill this time, Warners does that now.

Agreed and it was the issue of the finance that prompted me to add the Warners reference

Archived